Shimano range extender on a Yamaha

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
I have recently got a Haibike all mountain 10, with the Yamaha PW-X3 motor.

Haibike advertised it as coming with a 750wh battery and optional 360wh range extender back when I pre ordered it 12 months ago.
Turns out on delivery of bike that the battery was 720wh, and the optional 360wh range extender is not available yet, and Haibike don't know when it will be.

I want to get a range extender somehow, as often need around 1000wh on old Bosch bike.
The frame has got a charge/battery port above the motor, which I believe is where Haibike plan to have the range extender plug in to.
and the battery will bolt on to the MRS rail system haibike use on the allmtn range.

The main 720wh battery on this bike is not a Yamaha branded battery, and uses a different plug/socket to all other Yamaha motors before.
the battery is made by Trendpower (also know as Simplo)
and on the battery I noticed it says "compatible with range extender battery"

So I did a lot of digging about online, and I have found a trendpower/Simplo range extender 360wh that
uses exactly the same plug/socket as my bike battery, and comes in a kit with the lead to plug the battery to frame port/socket.

Only snag is it's sold for a Mondraker bike with Shimano EP8 motor
after more reading online i find that Shimano and Yamaha seem to have switched battery suppliers to Trendpower/Simplo recently.

Does anyone think this will work?
or will there be software differences between shimano and Yamaha on the battery.

The 720wh battery is 21700 cells
so is the 360wh range extender
and both made by same manufacture

1674854323954.png

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
I will find out soon as I ordered the 360wh Simplo range extender battery last night, probably take a little while to come as could only find stock in Italy.

I will report back once I get it with the results

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
Battery kit came today, fitted it after work tonight.
Very close to shock, I need to double check it clears on full travel.
Is removing all the air best way to do that?

Not sure if it actually works or not yet, as no way to tell till I go on long ride, and hopefully find both batteries running down together.
I will test ride tomorrow after I've checked shock clearance

20230213_195929.jpg 20230213_195917.jpg 20230213_195939.jpg

Chris808

Aug 17, 2020
Bolton
yes i think so , remove the air - only if you have a pump though to put it back..
hope its got enough space pal and eager to hear its working..
yes thanks for update.. nice pics, its nice a clean. Took mine Llandegla last week it was awesome..

Vladimir Havalda

Feb 19, 2023
Slovakia
Hi, I'm trying to solve the same problem. I have a HAIBAIK Alltrail 7 with a Yamaha PW-X3 engine and a 720Wh frame battery. The original 360Wh extender is no longer available, and according to the manufacturer's response, there is a question as to whether it will be available at all. I am therefore trying to find a replacement. The solution you used looks really good. Can you please tell me if it works for you? If so, I would be very happy! I will try to attach photos where I tried to connect a 190Wh battery in parallel. Unfortunately, such a connection probably does not work, because after the ride the basic battery was almost discharged, while the additional battery remained fully charged.

3BF8CD6E-40A4-4C06-B6E3-511726B91C2D.jpeg DE1D4CCD-4B59-423C-8708-6A7C80FA711E.jpeg 8307C693-3A8A-48F5-B6FE-CCF6002277E1.jpeg DEE73E65-8EE8-404C-B42C-9A2612D3C0FF.jpeg 809AFACD-B58D-4DAF-B646-D5169716F653.jpeg C689C65F-0040-4074-A49C-2DC4938CB42F.jpeg D0318707-434C-46A5-8849-AC8B55F1925F.jpeg 0AAE174C-5DFF-41F6-B667-F64B98D3DECE.jpeg

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
Hi Vladimir
No not yet unfortunately.
I all connects up perfectly, but range extender battery won't lose any charge.

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
I've read some stuff that suggested I need to connect to main 720wh battery, and turn on dual battery mode rather than charge port.
Norco bikes use same battery as Yamaha now, on Norco range extender the main tube battery needs connecting to a dongle at dealer to turn the function on.
Found a video on YouTube saying same thing, skip first 60 seconds of rubbish

Chris808

Aug 17, 2020
Bolton
i have the Yamaha Diagnostic software but not connected it up yet and in the pdf's that come with it i do not see anything about turning on the Range extender in the s/w, i will continue to look into this..

google drive link for s/w

Edit: then i found this

i am thinking we need a new version of s/w for our Ebikes..

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
i have the Yamaha Diagnostic software but not connected it up yet and in the pdf's that come with it i do not see anything about turning on the Range extender in the s/w, i will continue to look into this..

google drive link for s/w

Edit: then i found this

i am thinking we need a new version of s/w for our Ebikes..
I've got that software, it doesnt connect to the battery though.
When you try it fails to connect.
I believe this is because the 720wh tube battery isn't Yamaha branded anymore.
all previous Yamaha bikes had Yamaha branded batteries.
So yes needs new software, but probably not from Yamaha.
In that Norco video I posted, the guy on the right is holding a black dongle in his hand.
I've found that online, it's made by Simplo (same company that makes the 720wh battery, and 360wh range extender)

Vladimir Havalda

Feb 19, 2023
Slovakia
In that Norco video I posted, the guy on the right is holding a black dongle in his hand.
I've found that online, it's made by Simplo (same company that makes the 720wh battery, and 360wh range extender)
yes, the 720 battery is the latest, which Yamaha doesn't even have on its official website. Likewise, there is not even a single line about the planned extender. I still see hope that we could move with it using a Norco dongle. If I understand it correctly, it is necessary to connect to the battery and make the change there. I am still very disappointed with the whole thing, because I bought the bike for Christmas with the fact that it has the latest motor from Yamaha and it is possible to use an extender as well... On the HAIBAIK website, it is therefore a matter of confusing the customer. I also wrote to them and wrote back that I can solve it the right way... In any case, it's lying to the customer from them. I have a medical handicap and I need more assistance and therefore more energy from the battery...

Vladimir Havalda

Feb 19, 2023
Slovakia
Therefore, it is not a problem to connect the extender to older models with an X2 engine and a 630 battery. For example, this extender:
montage video is here:

Vladimir Havalda

Feb 19, 2023
Slovakia
I found that the simplo batteries currently offered have the option of working with an extender

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
I've had confirmation from Haibike Germany that the Yamaha PW-X3 Allmtn bikes with MRS system will be getting a range extender.
It won't be available till August this year in Germany.
UK Haibike dealers wont be getting it till 2024

and I found a couple of websites now taking pre orders for it

the link above is just for the Battery.
There is 2 different fitting kits, depending on bike type. which have to be ordered separately

Vladimir Havalda

Feb 19, 2023
Slovakia
I've had confirmation from Haibike Germany that the Yamaha PW-X3 Allmtn bikes with MRS system will be getting a range extender.
It won't be available till August this year in Germany.
UK Haibike dealers wont be getting it till 2024

and I found a couple of websites now taking pre orders for it

the link above is just for the Battery.
There is 2 different fitting kits, depending on bike type. which have to be ordered separately

Deacon,
that's fantastic news! I am very glad that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And thanks to this forum and you, I can see it too! You are truly passionate at heart for what we hoped for. Please, let's stay in touch through this thread and we will be informed about everything new here! Deacon, once again a huge thank you for this TOP information!!!!

Vlado from Slovakia :)

Chris808

Aug 17, 2020
Bolton
Good to know - Good work Deacon this is very helpful for us..
i will purchase one soon as they are available

;)

Will we not need the Dongle to Switch it on extender with these ?

Deacon

Jan 27, 2023
England
Doesn't sound like it.

This is from the listing for it:

COMPATIBILITY OF THE YAMAHA RANGE EXTENDER 360WH​

The 360Wh Range Extender is only compatible with e-bikes that have a Yamaha PW-X3 or PW-S2 motor, a 720Wh battery and a frame with MRS System installed. To use the Range Extender, all criteria on your e-bike must be met.

The allmtn 10 that I have uses the pw-x3 motor, 720wh battery and has the MRS system.
1080wh with 360wh extender, that will be perfect for me

Chris808

Aug 17, 2020
Bolton
Doesn't sound like it.

The 360Wh Range Extender is only compatible with e-bikes that have a Yamaha PW-X3 or PW-S2 motor, a 720Wh battery and a frame with MRS System installed. To use the Range Extender, all criteria on your e-bike must be met.

The allmtn 10 that I have uses the pw-x3 motor, 720wh battery and has the MRS system.

^^Me also buddy with my all mtn 10 :)

Had no problems with the Chip in the all-mtn 10 - i do like how its always on compared to my other all-mtn 2 with the volspeed having to activate it every time..

Chris ;)

luka

Jun 21, 2023
Slovenia
Doesn't sound like it.

Doesn't sound like it.

Hi Deacon. I have Haibike Nduro 8 and bougth range extender from Mondraker. I haven't find a way for range extender to work. Have you found out what to do?

Thank you for your help.
Luka

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles