• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Shimano linkglide 11speed overshifting. Help!

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Hi guys.
Set up is new 11 speed linkglide- shifter, chain, block, rear mech.
Problem is this...it will shift from small cog (1)up one, then when you shift from 2 to 3 ( one click) it will go to 4 instead, and maybe do a double shift again later on in the block.
So basically getting two shifts for one click.
Have been spannering bikes for many years and this is a new one on me.
Set it up as per Shimano instructions and have double checked high/low/b also chain length. Also changed the inner and outer cable.
Even tried a 100mm inner outer set up with the shifter next to the mech to eliminate cable issues.
Any thoughts appreciated!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi guys.
Set up is new 11 speed linkglide- shifter, chain, block, rear mech.
Problem is this...it will shift from small cog (1)up one, then when you shift from 2 to 3 ( one click) it will go to 4 instead, and maybe do a double shift again later on in the block.
So basically getting two shifts for one click.
Have been spannering bikes for many years and this is a new one on me.
Set it up as per Shimano instructions and have double checked high/low/b also chain length. Also changed the inner and outer cable.
Even tried a 100mm inner outer set up with the shifter next to the mech to eliminate cable issues.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Did this set up replace a previous 11 speed or a 12 speed? Did you have to change from Microspline to HG freehub and if so was the original set up using an inboard spacer, which is not required with the HG freehub? That is all I can think of that would cause your issue......

Last edited:

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Did this set up replace a previous 11 speed or a 12 speed? Did you have to change from Microspline to HG freehub and if so was the original set up using an inboard spacer, which is not required with the HG freehub? That is all I can think of that would cause your issue......
Thanks for taking a shot.
No, no change, standard hg from the get go.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Logically if it's overshifting, the guide pulley & by extension, the mech is moving further than it should. Obvs other things to check is cable tension, hanger alignment & bent cage. Two out of three of those sound unlikely on a brand new groupset but still worth checking.

Other thing springs to mind, a missing spacer in the block but that would be obvious on a visual inspection.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks for taking a shot.
No, no change, standard hg from the get go.
So the only other components involved are the hanger and the chainwheel. Maybe check the chainline....ie straight from chainwheel to centre cog of the cassette. Then check the hanger is not bent.
The cassette 3 smallest cogs are assembled individually.....check they are assembled correctly including spacers. A missing or incorrect spacer between 2 and 3 will make it skip to 4.....

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Had something like that and couldn't get mine to index so I reverted to the manual.
Is the cable routed this way?

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 15.30.59.png

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’ve nothing constructive to add but I’ve just swapped from 8 speed EX1 (which I could never get sweet) to 11 speed Linkglide
It works fine in the stand and on a short test run it was spot on
I did exactly the same as you and spent quite a while making sure the mech hanger was straight. There wasn’t enough adjustment in the B screw to get the mark to meet the 50T but it still works
I had trouble sizing the chain the standard plus 2 or plus 4 were both too short. I ended up threading it through the mech and round the smallest cog and kept cutting it until there was just enough tension to hold the mech ie as long as possible
It is quite a sensitive trigger and easy to make multiple shifts unintentionally, or else I’m heavy handed

Hope you get it sorted 👍

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Solved, in a manner of speaking, as I haven't found the reason but it is working.
Took rear mech and chain off, blast cleaned it and relubed/greased.
Took rear wheel out just to check everything was tight present and correct. All fine.
Pretty confident shifter and cable were good.
Rebuilt and checked high/low/b and it's started behaving. Have sworn a bit.
Assume there was some crap in there somewhere but it's a bit of a mystery as to where. It could of course have been a bad adjustment earlier but don't think so.
Much obliged to everyone who lent a hand 🙏

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well done. Could well have just been new chain syndrome. Apparently the Linkglide chain is purposely designed with quite a bit of side flex to aid smoother shifting. If it was still gummed up with the wax they use to preserve new chains in their packaging it may have lacked that flex. Just a guess, but if you found nothing else wrong...................!!

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Solved, in a manner of speaking, as I haven't found the reason but it is working.
Took rear mech and chain off, blast cleaned it and relubed/greased.
Took rear wheel out just to check everything was tight present and correct. All fine.
Pretty confident shifter and cable were good.
Rebuilt and checked high/low/b and it's started behaving. Have sworn a bit.
Assume there was some crap in there somewhere but it's a bit of a mystery as to where. It could of course have been a bad adjustment earlier but don't think so.
Much obliged to everyone who lent a hand 🙏
Nice it is sorted now. I like to dial in my own drivetrain as well. Had same issue on my XT 12 speed with not shifting properly from 2 to 3 or maybe 3 to 4 and all good in other gears despite meticulously re-setting everything. Broke down and took to LBS and guess the lower pulley cage bent some (why I hate long caged rear derailleurs, especially Shimano) since doesn’t take much force at all to bend them out of whack if they touch anything. Have been waiting for stupid linkglide cassettes to be available in US to no avail with the RD’s, shifter and chains available. So back to my trusty ghetto 10spd set up with dependable short caged RD and solid, full steel carrier cassette (Shimano 10spd Deore 11-36 cassette, Zee FR RD, Saint shifter, XT chain)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A bike mechanic of my acquaintance told me once that most obscure shifting problems can be cured by fitting a new cable (inner & outer). The next tip was to remove the mech, soak it in degreaser and give it a thorough clean with lots of scrubbing. Then reassemble and lube.
I also learned off my own bat that a mech hanger alignment tool was an essential item for 12-speed transmissions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles