Shimano launch new 2023 Di2 Wireless Shifting for ebikes + EP6

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have been using 11 di2 on my spectral for more than a year and love it.
I am considering changing the display of the cube to a kiox since it looks like it works with di2, and I prefer the 11speed di2 to the 12 speed cable actuated.
Free shifting and auto shifting shall make it even easier and better. It will not push your rear wheel, but use its sensors to make the shift while you can focus on breaking and steering.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I wonder what will happen after bikes battery would be drained out by motor during mountain trip... shifting cut off as well..? ;-)

Light hold back a % of battery to maintain function. Some people have reported this reduces range slightly. DI2 shifting takes very little power even compared to lights, so you should have shifting for a few hours after motor cuts out. Main issue would be no shifting at all with the battery removed or powered off, could make maintenance a faff if you remove battery for charging or storage.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
So delete if necessary not allowed and I've no idea if this is true but; After GMBN youtube spoke about wireless on the yeti emtb's I looked around and found this site the live page was taken down but the cache version remains;

cached link

Shimano to Launch New Shifting Modes and Groupsets for E-Bikes

July 7, 2022 | By Andrew McLemore

The revolution of e-bike technology continues with new shifting modes introduced by Shimano for electronic mountain bikes.

The popularity of e-bikes shows no signs of slowing down. While mountain bikers may grumble when their friend gets an e-bike,there’s no doubt that the technology is evolving quickly.

Shimano’s latest announcement adds metaphorical grease to e-bike wheels with all-new electric shifters and innovative modes of changing gears.

On July 11, the company will release two new XT Di2 groupsets for its electronic mountain bikes and new CUES Di2 groupsets for commuter e-bikes. There’s also an upgraded EP6 drive unit and — perhaps the most interesting — two new shifting modes called Free Shift and Auto Shift with Manual Override.

free shift shimano

Free Shift

With Free Shift, Shimano claims that riders can make gear changes without pedaling the bike. It’s the latest extension of the Di2 electronic shifting tech that the company first introduced back in 2008.

The new shifting mode works by combining the company’s electronic shifting tech and the DEORE XT Di2.

auto shift shimano

Auto Shift With Manual Override

If shifting gears without pedaling still sounds like too much work, Shimano has gone one step further. Its Auto Shift mode allows the tech to shift gears for you.

The company said in a press release that this system makes predictive gear changes based on the rider’s speed and cadence. It accomplishes this through Shimano’s LINKGLIDE drivetrain paired once again with the Di2 electric shifter.

Also, the Automatic Shifting supposedly works during both pedaling and coasting.

linkglide drivetrain

DEORE XT Di2 LINKGLIDE

The first of Shimano’s new XT Di2 groupsets, the LINKGLIDE, adds new shifting modes to the company’s electronic shifting for e-MTB. The drivetrain comes with the existing 11-speed drivetrain and a centralized battery power source.

It’s also capable of both new shifting modes, including the Auto Shift. By automating gear shifting, the bikes encourage their riders to “engage with the natural world.” So if gear shifting feels like a distraction, this feature is for you.

Another notable improvement is a 200g reduction in the cassette weight.

hyperglide shimano

DEORE XT Di2 HYPERGLIDE+

The second XT Di2 groupset, the HYPERGLIDE+, embellishes the existing 12-speed system with Di2 electronic shifting. It includes the Free Shift mode but not the Auto Shift.
And yet there it is hiding in plain sight, the wire running from the motor to the derailleur neatly tucked under the swing arm protector.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
It's basically an attempt to impose a closed Shimano controlled standard on the eBike world which, once imposed, will be highly profitable for Shimano.

If you wanna Shimano motor you gotta take the entire Shimano proprietory ecosphere with it.

Think Sony or Apple, and you've got it.

Fuck that.

I mean, neither Sony nor Apple do that but hey... :D

Not to mention nor are Shimano, given you could put any regular shifting on whatever frame you wanted.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It's basically an attempt to impose a closed Shimano controlled standard on the eBike world which, once imposed, will be highly profitable for Shimano.

If you wanna Shimano motor you gotta take the entire Shimano proprietory ecosphere with it.

Think Sony or Apple, and you've got it.

Fuck that.

I mean, neither Sony nor Apple do that but hey... :D

Not to mention nor are Shimano, given you could put any regular shifting on whatever frame you wanted.

Sony tried it with Betamax and Apple does it with iPhones but hey ... :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles