Shimano ice tech rotors?

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Upgrading my braking system to Shimano and changing out the rotors to XT Ice Tech. Looking at the design of the rotors can the rear magnet assembly work on these rotors?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Shimano make rotors with the magnet in them, but they only offer certain fittaments, I think they are all centerlock for example

E-BIKE E8000 Series | SHIMANO BIKE COMPONENT

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 14.59.34.png

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
not sure if it would work as it's from older models, but maybe have a look at/for the
Specialized magnet holder, sku S166800012

Or get some good epoxy and just glue the magnet on?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I have a 2018 , I believe , commencal meta 27.5 with the e8000 steps motor and sram code r brakes. It has a separate speed sensor and a magnet attached to a spoke. Where is the speed sensor mechanism located on the more integrated bikes with a magnet embedded in the rotor vs what I have.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
I have a 2018 , I believe , commencal meta 27.5 with the e8000 steps motor and sram code r brakes. It has a separate speed sensor and a magnet attached to a spoke. Where is the speed sensor mechanism located on the more integrated bikes with a magnet embedded in the rotor vs what I have.
icetech sensor.jpg

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Thanks Murch for posting the diagram. I think the various speed sensors are kinda the Achilles heel of e-bikes especially these early gen versions such is on my commencal with Shimano motor. Skinny little wires to vulnerably placed peripherals. The yt post this week is another instance. The next major evolution is further hardening these.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
Thanks Murch for posting the diagram. I think the various speed sensors are kinda the Achilles heel of e-bikes especially these early gen versions such is on my commencal with Shimano motor. Skinny little wires to vulnerably placed peripherals. The yt post this week is another instance. The next major evolution is further hardening these.

I think Specialized did a really good job with the placement of the sensor and magnet. The wires are inside the frame almost the whole way and with the magnet on the rotor, the odds of it getting knocked off are very low. The only thing I do is wipe the brake dust off the magnet every few rides as it can get built up and cause an error in reading.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles