Shimano E8000 normal sound?

Thegrp

Oct 7, 2018
Shropshire
Hi to all, Newby so go gentle!
I’ve just received my first Shimano ebike, Focus jam2 2018 model, my question is when I ride in assist mode I feel and hear the motor drive engage, in eco and trail modes it’s approximately 1/4 crank rotation before it engages, in boosts it feel more like 1/2 rotation. The noise is like a poor stiff chain link sound, in boost I can hear the motor engage and disengage.
I get the issues when I’ve coasted then start pedalling again, it’s not there at start from stationary.
I’ve upgraded the firmware to latest edition today, that’s made no difference.
Is this normal?
I’ve had the bike less than a week, but as the retailer is hours away I’d rather know what’s normal before I start ringing them.
Thanks in advance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the engagement clunk is completely normal. It almost definitely is there at start from stationary as well. infact you can make it happen just loading the crank at standstill. for some reason you're just not noticing it.

Thegrp

Oct 7, 2018
Shropshire
Thanks for the reply. I’m just surprised it’s not obvious on my wife’s yahama motor, or my old Bosch.

Metzeler

Nov 1, 2018
Sweden
Hi!

I have ridden my Merida eOne Sixty 900e for appx 5 hours and during my last ride i noticed a clonk or click when i stopped pedalling and the motor disenganged. I dont hear it in eco, but in trail and especially in boost i can hear a clearly click from the motor when i stop pedalling.
Does every shimano steps 8000 have this click or is something loose in the motor?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Dont worry the engagement clunk is normal..I get it all the time on various trails.
Enjoy the Jam....Fantastic EMTBs
Pleased to see.more and more Focus owners on here.......
Have fun

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I notice a bit of a clunk on and off the power in boost , especially if you start pedaling quite abruptly after freewheeling , I figured it was boost putting more power through which resulted in a sharp take up of drive . Not noticed it in eco , maybe a little in trail . I think when I tried the settings set at max it was most noticeable , but I always run at medium / default setting

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Reviving an old thread but every shimano powered bike I've ridden seems to do this. I'm surprised this doesn't annoy more people. I get it in eco, trail and boost. Its obviously more pronounced the higher the assistance, It feels like a loose crank but i know it isn't as it completly gone when the motor is off.

I more feel it then hear it. I'm trying to make peace with it but its shitting me off a little. Even when my cadence sits around 90rpm I'll feel it if i drop cadence a little to say 75 and then back up to 90. Its like i cant keep up with the internal motor.

Russ

Feb 10, 2019
Perhshire
21 miles yesterday. Smooth activation on the power/off the power.
Mine does the very distinct clunk when the motor starts driving too , has done from new. I can only assume that this is some kind of Cush drive to take up shock loading , like in a motorcycle rear wheel.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'd be interested to know the rider weight in correlation to noticing a smooth or clunky engagement. Maybe if you are built like a whippet you are not putting through the force that a bigger rider may.

It could possibly be a build issue. I queried this with my lbs mechanic and he said they are all like that. I've made peace with mine now, I figure I've got 2yrs to blow the thing up so I just ride it like I stole it and if she blows all good

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'd be interested to know the rider weight in correlation to noticing a smooth or clunky engagement. Maybe if you are built like a whippet you are not putting through the force that a bigger rider may.

Riding weight 92kg. Smooth shifting and no clunking from the motor. The motor only start to whine when I go high revs.

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Mine clunks sometimes when I’m freewheeling and then start to pedal. I’m not sure of the exact circumstances, gear and power setting. A friend has the same bike a Merida 160 and his dose the same. As was said earlier not a problem for the next two years.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Check the wheel magnet alignment with the speed sensor, if the magnet has moved a bit it can cause a delay/inconsistency in the pick up.

Remember the Shimano motor does not engage instantly, unlike for example the Yamaha. This means the cranks will turn a bit before the motor kicks in, the reasoning behind this is to prevent the bike shooting off, and make it easier to get going on steep sections where ou are starting from standstill.

Sometimes if you are in the wrong gear, you may notice this more and get a driveline shunt. You will also notice it if riding at around the cutoff point.

The delay in motor kicking in is most noticeable in boost.

Apr 29, 2019
Boulder
Just 175 miles on my Jam2 and I’ve noticed the same noise/feel from the start. Figured it was normal, and it’s most noticeable in Boost near the cut off.

The real issue for me is that there is a noticeable “thud” when the bike shifts into gears 9-11 and you can visibly see the derailleur and rear end move sideways.

I recently had to add a link to the chain and am guessing that with less chain tension the motor is shifting harder into those gears as it only does it on the downshift.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The real issue for me is that there is a noticeable “thud” when the bike shifts into gears 9-11 and you can visibly see the derailleur and rear end move sideways.
This is nothing to do with your motor though.
have you checked all bearings for play (suspension linkages/pivots and hub) and bolt checked everything? (incl axle/hanger/mech bolt, cassette lockring) and also your mech for damage/play?
nothing (other than your chain and the parallelogram/mech cage/jockeys should be moving sideways visibly.
sounds like something is very wrong at the rear end. (very possibly just one bolt/fastener loose somewhere)

BrickMan

May 2, 2019
Antwerp
In boost theres always a big whack as it kicks in, its not super subtle, but its much less noticable in Eco + Trail modes. Wouldn't worry about it!
Cassette's and freehubs take a battering so make sure that cassette lockring is always at the right torque value when refitting (45nM I think but check what it says on the part before going crazy).

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
My new Focus Jam2 9.6 Plus(e8000) started to make this "clicking" sound when pedaling motor On. Does anyone know what is going on? It's very annoying sound, because the bike was completely silent first.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Before you freak out make sure you've removed your crank arms and pedals and give them a good clean and lube.

My new motor started clicking after 1000ks and it turned out the crank arms had no lube. Once I cleaned and lubed sound is gone.

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
Before you freak out make sure you've removed your crank arms and pedals and give them a good clean and lube.

My new motor started clicking after 1000ks and it turned out the crank arms had no lube. Once I cleaned and lubed sound is gone.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll check the cranks and lube them well. I'll report back!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles