Shimano e8000 motor slipping???

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
I'm having problems with my metapower 2020 team bike
It was slipping when putting alot of power down on the peddles which I presumed was the chain or cassette ... Since then I have put a new complete drive train on (chain, cassette, chainring, derailleur and shifter ... Still slipping ..
Now looks like it's the actual motor slipping as when it does slip the cranks turn but the chainring doesn't (only for a split second) as if it's jumping over cogs/gears inside the motor..
Email sent to commencal but if you guys have any info that be good
It's baffled me ??

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Take a look at the display - is the assist cutting out? If not, do you hear the motor racing/revving?

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Take a look at the display - is the assist cutting out? If not, do you hear the motor racing/revving?

No just what feels like chain slip ... But complete new drive train and derailleur set and hanger checked and freehub checked (even put a different wheel on to check) so has to be the motor

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
On my rear wheel, what the driver sits into the hub stripped. Felt fine, except on steep climbs. got worse quickly and became obvious quickly as the cassette was moving but the wheel wasn’t turning. Fix was new hub.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
On my rear wheel, what the driver sits into the hub stripped. Felt fine, except on steep climbs. got worse quickly and became obvious quickly as the cassette was moving but the wheel wasn’t turning. Fix was new hub.

Thanks but it's definitely not the freehub as stripped it down and it's all fine .. also swapped out the rear wheel for another one and still happening...
Thanks
Gareth

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Is there something like a sprag clutch in there? A sprag clutch is like a freewheel in its function but takes up much less space and is very much stronger. It relies on friction not teeth, and it can slip if worn (unlikely on a 2020 bike) or I guess if oil gets in there.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Is there something like a sprag clutch in there? A sprag clutch is like a freewheel in its function but takes up much less space and is very much stronger. It relies on friction not teeth, and it can slip if worn (unlikely on a 2020 bike) or I guess if oil gets in there.

Hi Budd
I know Bosch use a sprag clutch bearing but don't know about Shimano???
I'm hoping it's something like that but it's going back to Shimano in France and see what they say but looks like I'm gonna be without a bike for few weeks ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Budd
I know Bosch use a sprag clutch bearing but don't know about Shimano???
I'm hoping it's something like that but it's going back to Shimano in France and see what they say but looks like I'm gonna be without a bike for few weeks ??

I don't know either, which is why I said "something like a sprag clutch". :)

Ref the "going back to Shimano in France", I thought Shimano had service centres everywhere, although I've never seen one. In my ignorance, I had assumed that there would be at least one in the UK!

Best of luck, please keep the thread updated. I suspect that all Shimano motor owners will be interested in this.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Having same exact issue and did the exact same steps.
Just put in a warranty claim but YT is so backed up right
now it's taking forever to process. Really worried about the
longevity of these motors. This will be my second motor...

Darian

May 5, 2021
Rijeka
Having same exact issue and did the exact same steps.
Just put in a warranty claim but YT is so backed up right
now it's taking forever to process. Really worried about the
longevity of these motors. This will be my second motor...
Hey, how that warranty clame with YT went? I have the same issue and its been for 5 weeks since i have contacted them. Still nothing. Thanks upfront, Darian.

Drawh

Aug 2, 2022
Usa
Same issue with Shimano E8000 on BMC Trailfox. It slips under hard pressure. BMC dealer replaced the driver and that seemed to help for a few weeks then the slipping returned. Now I’m waiting back ordered many months for a replacement motor from Shimano. Past warranty. Has anyone attempted to repair this motor?

Demersal

Oct 7, 2023
Babylon, NY USA
Same issue with Shimano E8000 on BMC Trailfox. It slips under hard pressure. BMC dealer replaced the driver and that seemed to help for a few weeks then the slipping returned. Now I’m waiting back ordered many months for a replacement motor from Shimano. Past warranty. Has anyone attempted to repair this motor?
Did you have any success with this problem? Its happening to me now, same bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles