Shimano e8000 E10 Error

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Meta Power 29 2019 - Anyone else had problems?

Mileage almost 500miles.
Bike was stored for 2 months (in dry warm garage with battery out and 100% charged). 15 minutes into ride first E10 error. Rebooted, then happened 3 more times on ride every 4 to 8 minutes. It was a road ride all in Eco with 430m of climbing in an hour. Did a minor motor software update during ride but it still error-ed. Got home. Opened all connectors (2 on display, 3 on motor) used contact cleaner spray and plugged and unplugged them multiple times. Ditto battery terminal and the ones on the bike. Battery feels good firm fit. Bike refused to boot until found it was motor to display connection on motor at fault. On advice of Commencal, removed spare plug for Di2 and put display in there. Problem solved managed an hour without errors.

No sign of dirty terminals anywhere - all nice and shiny.

The motor area under the plastic cover was full of very tiny grit from local ride spot. Commencal suggest putting bike upside down and spraying contact cleaner to wash out debris.

Anyone else had problems?

Any guidance for prevention?

Thanks folks.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I had e10 and w10 issues because of s loose battery. After adjusting the top battery clamp the issues went way.
Thanks. I read about that. I was on smooth tarmac and my battery feels really solid. Once display is on, no amount of trying to manually shake the battery caused errors.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Just did an hour off road today on very horse rutted dry trails from my house and no errors. So it is the original port the display plugged into as the display is currently in the "spare" Di2 port on the motor.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I’ve not had any error codes but since the lockdown I’ve been blasting boost mode going out for mainly road routes,twice now my whole system has just switched off while riding,I’ve checked all connections and battery tightness etc and all fine,it has never done while on proper trails,has anyone else had this??

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I’ve not had any error codes but since the lockdown I’ve been blasting boost mode going out for mainly road routes,twice now my whole system has just switched off while riding,I’ve checked all connections and battery tightness etc and all fine,it has never done while on proper trails,has anyone else had this??
Sorry - mostly use ECO except when going up steep stuff and need extra assist. Never ridden for more than a minute or two in boost, but I have towed my son up a fire trail often and that would be a total of 250kg for a couple of minutes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is the bike deresticted?

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
I had E010 code...
Cleaned all wires etc.300miles!
On advice from Maddison(shimano uk importer).Motor was returned with suspected torque sensor fault.
New motor was sent back to me.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
On advice of Commencal, turned bike upside down and sprayed contact cleaner liberally into suspect engine connector. After wiping it all off my frame :( cleaned everything up, reconnected and did 1 miles with no issues. How on earth something got inside that connector given how small it is I'll never know. I guess grit can be small!

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
Hello,
As of lately i'm getting errorcodes on my meta power. It first begins with E010 and then it is followed by W013. Due to confinement i only do crosscountry style rides, very mellow, opposed to my normal enduro hard rock hitting trails. Had the bike for one and a half year, never had any issues. It's updated (put on US spec)
Any suggestions what this could be and how to fix it?
Seems like a torque sensor issue...

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hello,
As of lately i'm getting errorcodes on my meta power. It first begins with E010 and then it is followed by W013. Due to confinement i only do crosscountry style rides, very mellow, opposed to my normal enduro hard rock hitting trails. Had the bike for one and a half year, never had any issues. It's updated (put on US spec)
Any suggestions what this could be and how to fix it?
Seems like a torque sensor issue...
Hi

The solutions I have seen for W010 are
1 - either battery or motor failure (rare) including torque sensor
2 - Battery fit loose or too tight - search for the online specs.
3 - Poor connections.

W013 is usually torque sensor I believe ie pressure on pedal at power on.

On my meta power I isolated it to connections to the motor. NOTE use the Shimano connector tool that came with the bike to remove and replace the connectors as its a doddle then.
I removed both connectors at the Display and liberally washed them out with contact cleaner. (no difference).
I then removed the 3 small phillips screws on the LHside motor cover. Do this somewhere clean and smooth as they are tiny and bounce at least 6 feet if you drop one!!!!
Turn the bike upside down on its bars and saddle (I padded the garage floor first). Liberally spay contact cleaner into the Display port, Speed sensor port and also the battery connector to wash any thing out. Dab dry, reconnect and refit and mine worked a treat.

If that fails contact Commencal for advise or Shimano UK are I believe still open. Commecal were very responsive and helpful to me.

Took me a few days of trial and error but I've done over 100 trouble free miles since cleaning my engine terminals - they weren't corroded, just had tiny grit in them.

Good luck

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Thanks Janc
Could you make a photo(s) of which i need to clean?
Hi

here is the link to the Shimano Manual https://www.eplus.bike/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/eplus-shimano4.01-en.pdf

If you look at diagram 2 on page 3 of the manual, it shows the Display connector and the Speed sensor connector. The spare one with a blank plug in it is for DI2 gears. The display and speed sensor have different shaped plugs so you can't put them in them wrong holes and won't get confused putting them back. If you do get the two confused, it's quite easy to see one wire goes back along the chain stay and one goes up the down tube ie Speed sensor and display.

If after cleaning you still get errors, the spare blanked DI2 socket takes the same plug as the Display computer and you could swap those. That will test if its the connector. I did it temporarily and the bike worked fine. Once I properly cleaned the connectors I swapped it back to original.

I also cleaned the battery connector.

I've created a pdf of the Shimano manual with some arrows.

Attachments

• Shimano e8000 motor connetions.pdf
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,343

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
Cleaned everything...when I turn it on it seems good.
Minor pressure on the pedals results in error code E010....guess it's going to be the torque sensor....
Waiting for Commencal response...

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Minor pressure on the pedals results in error code E010....guess it's going to be the torque sensor....
Oh dear - good luck. Keep us updated. E010 is such a non specific error!

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
What happens when you turn t off an back on again?

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
When I turn it off and on again , e010. After a while , it’s normal, until a put pressure on the cranks.
It’s at the shop (Shimano service center) , first look , everything seems fine on the computer...

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
On my Metapower, about 4 months ago I started getting the E010 error 3 to 4 times per ride.

I assumed it was a loose battery connection (even though it felt tight in the mount), so I adjusted the position of the top battery mount to make it even tighter, and also stuck some 5mm closed cell foam pads on the downtube to take up the space between the down tube and battery when the battery was installed.

That seemed to work until last week when I did a ride in the wet. Started getting the dreaded E010 code again a few times on the ride.

After the ride, again, I readjusted the position of the top battery mount, and replaced the 5mm foam pads as they had compressed over time.

At the same time, I followed Janc's advice and took off the side cover of the motor and cleaned the connections. There was a fair bit of dirt in there.

Just did a 2 hour ride and no errors....so hoping that solved the problem....for the time being!

Dr Chris

Hi

here is the link to the Shimano Manual https://www.eplus.bike/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/eplus-shimano4.01-en.pdf

If you look at diagram 2 on page 3 of the manual, it shows the Display connector and the Speed sensor connector. The spare one with a blank plug in it is for DI2 gears. The display and speed sensor have different shaped plugs so you can't put them in them wrong holes and won't get confused putting them back. If you do get the two confused, it's quite easy to see one wire goes back along the chain stay and one goes up the down tube ie Speed sensor and display.

If after cleaning you still get errors, the spare blanked DI2 socket takes the same plug as the Display computer and you could swap those. That will test if its the connector. I did it temporarily and the bike worked fine. Once I properly cleaned the connectors I swapped it back to original.

I also cleaned the battery connector.

I've created a pdf of the Shimano manual with some arrows.

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
@DrChris:Thanks for your info.but something to point out here...yours kept going while on a ride. Mine looks fine on start up, but immediately shuts down when I touch the pedals. So yours looks like a contact problem, where mine looks more like a torque sensor issue.
Anyway it’s at the shimano service center, coupled on the computer but no problems found. So they (Shimano) asked to send the motor over....they suspect something inside...

hope it doesn’t take to long...maybe they can put the new EP8 motor in ?

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
@DrChris:Thanks for your info.but something to point out here...yours kept going while on a ride. Mine looks fine on start up, but immediately shuts down when I touch the pedals. So yours looks like a contact problem, where mine looks more like a torque sensor issue.
Anyway it’s at the shimano service center, coupled on the computer but no problems found. So they (Shimano) asked to send the motor over....they suspect something inside...

Thanks for the clarification. Dr Chris was getting issues while riding as I was. Yours are very different symptoms.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

As an FYI when mine had the same issue, and they replaced the motor, the report that came back said they couldn't find the fault, but agreed something was wrong with it.

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
Hello,
Got my baby back yesterday. They (shimano) replaced the motor under warranty. What eventually was wrong with it, they didn’t say...
Got a little bill from the lbs for taking out and putting back in the motor. I’m wondering if Commencal will refund me this too?

All in all ,after having had so much issues with my turbo Levo (gen1), i cant help feeling a little gutted this has happened again with Shimano. Is it really that hard to make an ebike 100% bombproof? I guess so...

DrChris

Oct 29, 2018
Australia
My Metapower started showing the E010 error again a few weeks ago unfortunately - up to 6 times a ride.

Took it back to Commencal and they noticed a pinched Shimano lead between the battery and motor, which they replaced.

3 rides in and no E010 error - fingers crossed this has finally solved my issue.

Dr Chris

On my Metapower, about 4 months ago I started getting the E010 error 3 to 4 times per ride.

I assumed it was a loose battery connection (even though it felt tight in the mount), so I adjusted the position of the top battery mount to make it even tighter, and also stuck some 5mm closed cell foam pads on the downtube to take up the space between the down tube and battery when the battery was installed.

That seemed to work until last week when I did a ride in the wet. Started getting the dreaded E010 code again a few times on the ride.

After the ride, again, I readjusted the position of the top battery mount, and replaced the 5mm foam pads as they had compressed over time.

At the same time, I followed Janc's advice and took off the side cover of the motor and cleaned the connections. There was a fair bit of dirt in there.

Just did a 2 hour ride and no errors....so hoping that solved the problem....for the time being!

Dr Chris

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Pinched cable or busted connectors at the display port due to +180 degrees turn of handlebars or too short/tight wires seem to be the reason for erratic error messages, on my experience.
I suggest trying to connect a new cable from motor to display, driving it outside the frame with zipties and see if it works on a short test ride.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Yesterday I had the W013 followed by the E010 error codes on my Shimano Di2, we’ll I say me, the wife was riding at the time so she got the blame, never happens to me lol.

The error code came up after a 1 hour ride, stoped at the pub for a few drinks, got back in the bike and bang, error codes straight up.
As it happened I updated the firmware that morning to 4.8.0 and done a full diagnostics with the E-Tube on the IPad, no issues at all.
I also run ST Unlocker, so set the bike as I normally do with custom assist on Stunlocker.
Back to the ride like I said no issues for the first hour. After error codes, turning on and off several times error codes still came up. Switched back to ETube and set to preset assist mode, no change error codes still come up. Done a quick check in internet, and there was a suggestion to alter the chainring size in Stu locker from 34 to 32T apply the new setting and change it back to 34T. Well I run a 38T so dropped it to 34T applied the setting and then put it back to 38T. Bingo no motor error codes, we’ll for about 5 minutes. Repeated the same and same result, after 5 minutes, error code E010. Repeated again but switched back to E-TUBE on a preset setting, no error code for 10 minutes. Switched off restarted, no issues for the rest of the ride, 20 minutes. I’m going to give all the connections and terminals a clean to be sure but there seems to be some issue with the latest firmware upgrade and STunlocker. I’ll also do another diagnostic check to see if it comes up with any errors.

JimB

Jul 19, 2019
Basingstoke
Pinched cable or busted connectors at the display port due to +180 degrees turn of handlebars or too short/tight wires seem to be the reason for erratic error messages, on my experience.
I suggest trying to connect a new cable from motor to display, driving it outside the frame with zipties and see if it works on a short test ride.
Yesterday I had the W013 followed by the E010 error codes on my Shimano Di2, we’ll I say me, the wife was riding at the time so she got the blame, never happens to me lol.

The error code came up after a 1 hour ride, stoped at the pub for a few drinks, got back in the bike and bang, error codes straight up.
As it happened I updated the firmware that morning to 4.8.0 and done a full diagnostics with the E-Tube on the IPad, no issues at all.
I also run ST Unlocker, so set the bike as I normally do with custom assist on Stunlocker.
Back to the ride like I said no issues for the first hour. After error codes, turning on and off several times error codes still came up. Switched back to ETube and set to preset assist mode, no change error codes still come up. Done a quick check in internet, and there was a suggestion to alter the chainring size in Stu locker from 34 to 32T apply the new setting and change it back to 34T. Well I run a 38T so dropped it to 34T applied the setting and then put it back to 38T. Bingo no motor error codes, we’ll for about 5 minutes. Repeated the same and same result, after 5 minutes, error code E010. Repeated again but switched back to E-TUBE on a preset setting, no error code for 10 minutes. Switched off restarted, no issues for the rest of the ride, 20 minutes. I’m going to give all the connections and terminals a clean to be sure but there seems to be some issue with the latest firmware upgrade and STunlocker. I’ll also do another diagnostic check to see if it comes up with any errors.

Cleaned up all the connections, had my local shop reload the firmware and all seemed good for a couple of short 10 mile rides. However today, after about 15 miles the dreaded E010 code strikes again. Back to the shop it goes.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
My 2018 Meta Power started giving the E010 error code a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned all the connections from the battery to the motor and it went ok for a couple of rides. Yesterday, after riding for about an hour I started getting the E010 error again several times. The funny thing is that going uphill I start feeling like the motor is giving me less assistance and then the motor shuts off and the E010 appears on the screen.

Did any of you find a solution for this (other than getting a new motor as mine is past the warranty period)?

emin86

Apr 30, 2021
socal
im having the same issue as well.. I dont have a commencal, I have a canyon but it still uses the same motor. did you get any resolution out of this?

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
No. I'm now regularly cleaning the contacts in the battery and in the battery support with Isopropyl alcohol. Sometimes I can do a whole 2 hour ride without any errors. Other times I start getting errors after riding for about an hour. I turn the power off and turn it back on and the error goes away, but generally, once I start getting errors, they happen every 5 or 10 minutes, so it's a pain in the ass. Sometimes I ride downhill trails with the power off, just to avoid hearing the dreaded error bip.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles