Shimano e8000 dead motor= decision time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Hi
2 months after warranty expired experienced 4 instances or E010 on 5th instance motor would not restart.
LBS have inspected it and confirmed it is torque sensor which according to them means a new motor.
Bike has covered just under 1000 miles, only sees water when going through puddles as I use a waterless polish after each ride and bike has been serviced by supplying dealer.
They submitted a warranty claim but this has been rejected by Madison as warranty has expired, however they say Madison willing to look at motor if it is sent to them.

I have asked LBS to send me a copy of diagnostic report in the hope I can find someone who can tell if it is repairable or not.

I am reluctant to spend just shy of £1000 on an e8000 motor to put into a 2 year old bike although I understand the new motor will have a 2 year warranty if fitted by LBS.

Looking for some points of view on the following
  1. Pay for old motor to be shipped to Madison in the hope that they honour a post warranty claim.
  2. Hopefully find someone who reckons they can fix it.
  3. Pay for new e8000 motor knowing it will have 2 year warranty v little or no warranty with option 2 if successful
  4. Sell bike for what I can (not sure what a 2019 Focus Jam2 6.9 in great condition apart from a fecked motor is worth) and move on to more powerful Bosch, Brose or Yamaha powered bike. These motors are apparently more easily repairable post warranty.
Thanks in advance
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles