Shimano E8000 "clanking" sound after freehubbing - 2020 Canyon Spectral ON

Andres JT

Jan 5, 2021
Honduras
Hello everybody. I bought my 2020 Canyon Spectral ON this past November 2020. I love the bike, it handles really well and I am getting used to going downhill on my first eBike. I have about 400 kms on my bike and I am beggining to hear a lound "clanking" sound after I freehub for a while and right after the motor engages. I happens on ECO and TRAIL, I have not used BOOST much to sense it in this mode, and it happens a few seconds after the motor engages. It does not happen everytime, but I would say around 70% of the time.

I attached a video with the sound. I sent Canyon an e-mail with the same issue just last night, so I have not heard back from them, as soon as I do I will keep you posted.

Anybody else have this issue on E8000 Shimano motor?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019
UK
You're talking about the loud snap at 0:07 seconds?

I'm asking because you're pedalling at this point when the sound is heard and you said it happened when you freehub?

Anyway, if thats what you're talking about then theres something wrong. The only sound I ever hear from my Shimano motor is the motor sound when pedalling.

Sep 25, 2019
UK
Ok, yea that sounds bad mate.

It might be an idea to get the bike on a stand and see if you can hear exactly where its coming from.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles