Shimano Di2 integration with Bosch

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
I love how the Di2 works and I would like to install the Di2 system on my new Bosch ebike. Do you have any experience with that? What I need particularly is to connect the Di2 to the Bosch battery to avoid additional battery for the Di2 only. I've got a full Di2 set in my previous Shimano Steps emtb and I'd like to move it from the old bike to the new one. I have the rear derailleur + shifter and wiring. I suppose I need some kind of hub for the wiring with a connection to the Bosch system and maybe some controller?

Shimano has this in their offer but do you maybe know and where to connect it and could guide me?

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It is possible - my father in law has a Bosch powered Bergamont hybrid, which is running DI2 Alfine hub gear, which is powered off the bikes battery, and the gear in use is displayed on the kiox display. No idea what kit you need to do it though, I presume a Bosh service centre wold have to enable some of the functionality.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Thanks. Alfine uses a different engine version if I found that properly. However since then I've found the following scheme (image 2 below) in the Shimano manual for the EW-EX010. It seems that all wiring from the Di2 (rear deraileur and shifter) should go to the EW-EX010 (Image 1) which is then connected to the Bosch battery by some kind of a cable called "Bosch Y-harnes" (Image 3). I've tried to find a connector on my Powertube 625 battery where the Y-cable could be connected, but there's only one connector hidden in the frame where the battery is connected and no other connectors. Any help would be appreciated :)

Image 1) EW-EX010
1621517685013.png

Image 2) Wiring for the Di2 in Bosch system
1621517304722.png

image 3) Bosch Y-harnes
1621517867205.png

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
Bringing an old thread back to life from my research the Bosch Y cable and EX010 is only when an Alfine geared hub is used, it won't work with a derailleur setup. The Y cable replaces the main cable in the bike between the battery and the motor and has a connector to connect to the EX010 which I suspect also drops the power to the 7 volts I think the Di2 system voltage requires.
I installed the Di2 shift system on my Shimano E8000 powered carbon Jam a few years ago and it has performed faultlessly for over 7,000 kms since, going back to a mechanical shifter on the recently acquired secondhand Thron felt archaic so decided to change it to Di2 as well.
The later Shimano EP801 (not ep800) motor and 12 speed Di2 components only work with the Shimano Smart system and microspline hubs, the connecting cables have also changed from the SD50 size to a larger SD300 connector.
I have a 2019 Focus Thron2 6.8 which I wanted to fit the Di2 shift system to but as it has a 12s Shimano geartrain the 11s Di2 shifter and derailleur won't work.
I wanted to do it with a M8050 11sp derailleur, cassette and shifter I already had meant I had to change the freewheel hub from microspline to HG as there isn't an 11s cassette available for microspline that I could find.
To install the complete system on the Thron I needed a HG freewheel, a 11sp cassette, 11sp chain, the di2 derailleur and shifter, a DN110 battery, JC41E junction and a SC-MT800 display plus the necessary cables to join it all up.
As the bike has a seat dropper the battery had to either go external or be fitted to the steer tube using a Pro steer tube battery mount.
As the di2 battery is seperate to the bike electrics you need a SM-BCR2 battey charger to charge it, the charger plugs into the charge port on the MT800 display.
I'm still waiting on parts to be delivered but will report back when it's all in and working.

Last edited:

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
All the bits arrived and the bike is now back together and the Di2 bits all work really well, the only hiccup was trying to get the phone and the MT800 display to connect through the bluetooth.
The phone could see the display but when the app asked for the pin number to allow pairing it only asked for four zero's when it should have asked for six zero's. After a bit of digging around on the net I found a writeup on bettershifting.com which said six zeros for the pin and once I entered the six zeros it paired and connected without any problems.
Something to also note is that if you want to connect a computer to the bike you can no longer use the SM-BCR2 with the latest software, it requires a PCE02 which is usually a dealer only item and quite expensive to buy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles