• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Shimano Brake lever, dropper and e switch compatibility

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hi folks,

so, after a possible Shimano XT M8000 caliper failure diagnosed, I was advised to "upgrade" to XT-M8120 four pot from my two pot rear, especially as stocks of the 8000 are low or unavailable and the fault may also be cable or even lever! So full XT 810 brake kit ordered.

Well yesterday, I finally succeeded and dropped my motor and managed to thread the new hose up from the caliper. When attempting to replace the brake lever M8100, I found its a complete mounting redesign from the m8000 lever (thanks LBS who actually saw the bike and diagnosed the caliper but refused to do the work for 6 weeks due to being busy). The fit was so different, that I couldn't see how my SW-e8000 switch would fit or my KS-LEV dropper lever. The KS is the push down type rather than the under bar type lever. On checking the Shimano compatibility chart I can see why! The BL-M8100 and SW-e8000 are not compatible! Tip don't always trust the advice of an LBS without checking compatibility yourself. So, I've ordered the SWe7000 which is compatible with the new 8100 lever and am now looking at the KS dropper lever options. The Shimano SL-m800 would fit the BL-m8100 brake ever, but is there enough room for the 7000 switch as well? It looks like there should be.

So in summary - anyone running the following combination on the left side of their handlebar Shimano XT M8100 brake lever, Shimane SW-e7000 switch and Shimano sl-m800 seat post lever with the KS-LEV seat post? And does the Shimano SL-M800 lever work with the KS LEV dropper post?

I'm trying to stay all Shimano for compatibility - well almost!

And for anyone interested I think I know all the gubbins of the 2019 Commencal Meta Power 29 for replacing rear brake hose etc by now!

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Hi there, I too have been grappling with the brake lever redesign of the 8120, fortunately with the i-spec ev system there is more than enough space between the clamps bar support parts & handle bar grip for the electronic switch for changing power modes (at least on my Levo). Luckily enough my dropper lever was also compatible with the ev system & bolted into the clamps allocated slot for attachments. However my XT8000 drive train was not compatible & I had to purchase a shifter with a clamp rather than an i-spec fitted one? End result is a reasonably tidy cockpit. Can post a couple of photos of the end result if you are interested?

Last edited:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hi there, I too have been grappling with the brake lever redesign of the 8120, fortunately with the i-spec ev system there is more than enough space between the clamps bar support parts & handle bar grip for the electronic switch for changing power modes (at least on my Levo). Luckily enough my dropper lever was also compatible with the ev system & bolted into the clamps allocated slot for attachments. However my XT8000 drive train was not compatible & I had to purchase a shifter with a clamp rather than an i-spec fitted one? End result is a reasonably tidy cockpit. Can post a couple of photos of the end result if you are interested?
thanks Muzza I'm looking for the lhs arrangement with rear brake lever e7000 switch and sl-mt800 dropper lever. Your Levo won't be using the Shimano switch but hopefully might give some indication. Photos would be useful.,

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Added one of the front brake side as well. Probably wont help you much sorry. The amount of times I pulled everything off the bars & then replaced in alternating positions was certainly beginning to wear me down before finally settling on this combo which has everything in easy reach, number one obviously being easy one finger control of the brakes?

20200919_231137.jpg

20200919_231150.jpg

20200919_231216.jpg

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Added one of the front brake side as well. Probably wont help you much sorry. The amount of times I pulled everything off the bars & then replaced in alternating positions was certainly beginning to wear me down before finally settling on this combo which has everything in easy reach, number one obviously being easy one finger control of the brakes?

View attachment 40606

View attachment 40607

View attachment 40608
I see you put your switch outside the brake lever. Was that preference or because it didn't fit? The Shimano one fits between the brake mount and rest.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
I see you put your switch outside the brake lever. Was that preference or because it didn't fit? The Shimano one fits between the brake mount and rest.
I did put it between the mount & rest at first but there was absolutely no way of getting to the hex key on it's bracket to tighten it & though it was reasonably firm, it would twist a little on the bar. Then tried inside the clamp towards the stem, but wasn't happy with having to let go of the grip to change power settings when tackling tricky up hill terrain. So moved the whole brake system in a further 5 mm so as to have the room to mount it in it's current easy reach position.
Must say though that I am loving the XT brakes along with the Ice Tec rotors..

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I did put it between the mount & rest at first but there was absolutely no way of getting to the hex key on it's bracket to tighten it & though it was reasonably firm, it would twist a little on the bar. Then tried inside the clamp towards the stem, but wasn't happy with having to let go of the grip to change power settings when tackling tricky up hill terrain. So moved the whole brake system in a further 5 mm so as to have the room to mount it in it's current easy reach position.
Must say though that I am loving the XT brakes along with the Ice Tec rotors..
thanks for that, very helpful
I'm replacing rear XT 2 pot for 4 pot... eventually, when the new switch and seat post lever arrive!

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset

View attachment 40606

View attachment 40607

View attachment 40608
Hi Muzza. How have you mounted the dropper lever to the brake lever? It seems I should have a bolt and nut and mount it in the slot of the brake mount. But my slmt800 only came with a short bolt.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Hi Muzza. How have you mounted the dropper lever to the brake lever? It seems I should have a bolt and nut and mount it in the slot of the brake mount. But my slmt800 only came with a short bolt.
Have you thought of buying the Shimano i-spec ev dropper post lever SL-MT500-IL which you should be able to connect your cable directly to? Looks like a likely no mess solution.
I originally got my bike shop to install all the equipment & then I moved things around. They mounted the dropper lever via a clamp & when I took it off to move I saw that the lever was connected to the clamp via a small curved plate & bolt, which just so happened to fit perfectly into the ev system. So you may be able to purchase the small plate via Shimano which your bolt will go through to lock your dropper lever into position?
Confusing I know & would love to take a photo of the plate but that would require removing everything again? Can call into my bike shop this weekend to see what plate they used in the clamp if you want?
Sorry for the dragged out answer...

Last edited:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Have you thought of buying the Shimano i-spec ev dropper post lever SL-MT500-IL which you should be able to connect your cable directly to? Looks like a likely no mess solution.
I originally got my bike shop to install all the equipment & then I moved things around. They mounted the dropper lever via a clamp & when I took it off to move I saw that the lever was connected to the clamp via a small curved plate & bolt, which just so happened to fit perfectly into the ev system. So you may be able to purchase the small plate via Shimano which your bolt will go through to lock your dropper lever into position?
Confusing I know & would love to take a photo of the plate but that would require removing everything again? Can call into my bike shop this weekend to see what plate they used in the clamp if you want?
Sorry for the dragged out answer...
Thanks very much for your detailed answer.
I bought the SL-MT800 IL. On careful inspection of the box there was a tiny block that sits inside the brake lever bracket and the bolt screws into that! As you say very neat solution. Shimano finally caught up with SRAM!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles