Shimano battery warranty fun and games (Canyon Madison pass the buck)

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
Hi folks,

(FYI I’m located in the UK)

Purchased my second Canyon Neuron ON 8 about 11 months ago. I noticed the range dropping off early on so monitored the battery health on a monthly basis. It fell to 90% very early on, then dropped by 1% per month or two and now sits at 84%. It’s the 504wh E8035 battery and it’s done 30 charge cycles so not exactly heavy use. Originally I could get 50 miles in ECO on a flat road route from my house but can now only get 36 miles.

The first Neuron ON (no longer have it) had the external 504W battery and was still at 99% health after 12 months and the current bike has been treated to the same good conditions – stored indoors at room temp, not stored at 100% state of charge etc.

First port of call from the Canyon warranty hotline was to take bike to a local Shimano dealer which I did. They hooked the bike up and ran a report – have attached. This official Shimano report no longer contains the battery health %, only the state of charge. They then tried to submit a claim to Madison who came back and grilled me question by question about why I thought the battery level had depleted. Once I had mentioned that I have checked the health level using a 3rd party app they said the warranty on the entire drivetrain including battery is invalidated.

I went back to Canyon and explained the predicament. If there is no way for the user or the dealer to evaluate battery health without a 3rd party app how can they say that this invalidates the warranty. They came back and said this is incorrect, the warranty should not be invalidated. They then tried to submit a claim to Madison based on my riding experiences and the dealer report and Madison have said that the report shows the battery charges to 100% so I don’t have a claim and that I would only have a claim if it will only charge to 80%.

This obtuse idiocy is really getting on my nerves. They clearly know state of charge % is not the same as battery health %. The battery is clearly faulty and no matter how they try to wriggle out of this surely they don’t have a leg to stand on in terms of consumer rights- a £4,000 purchase 11 month ago that has a defective battery. Any tips for how to proceed? Small claims court letter?

I have pointed out that my warranty is with Canyon not Madison (their UK Shimano supplier). The poor response of Madison shouldn't absolve them of warranty obligations.

Any thoughts guys?

Attachments

• Shimano report.pdf
    16.9 KB · Views: 295

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles