Other Shigura users, why not Magura levers?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The following assumes you have Magura calipers and Shimano levers.

If you swapped your Magura levers for Shimano levers, what did the Magura levers do wrong?

If you bought Shigura to start with, what aspect of the Shimano levers was attractive?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
They leaked, were flexy and snapped.
The Shimano levers did none of these and made the brakes even more powerful.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Shimano calipers leak (Ive had 5 calipers leak and replaced under warranty)

Magura levers also leak and break

Hence people use Shimano levers with Magura calipers

Or just buy Hope's like me and fit and forget along with readily available spares if there is ever an issue or crash damage etc...

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I have another opinion.

Rode with Shimano Saints 4 years without any problems. Sold the bike and now have Shimano XT 4-pistons. 3rd year with no problems

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hence people use Shimano levers with Magura calipers
Which also fail fairly often without crash damage. Sometimes straight out the box.

The whole point is surely to add the Shimano servo wave and change the lever piston bore size? but I find Magura's lever shape and ergonomics absolutely horrible. I also can't stand their 4 pad caliper design and finicky two piece rotors that can't be bent back straight easily.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
So far I've not seen any substantiated reason to swap my Magura levers for Shimano other than perhaps the variable leverage ratio. I've got a couple thousand miles on my setup with no leaks, no breakage after many crashes (I can spin the levers on the bars if I try hard enough), no trouble with the bleeding procedure, and none of the clicking/buzzing noises that others post about. I've used up 2 pairs of pads front and rear so far, and the wear across the 4 pads in each caliper has been uniform. So why ask the questions?

I can't get the reach adjustment to be the same for both levers. The rear brake lever runs out of travel before the lever gets close enough to the bar for me (I'm a 3/4 scale model of a human). I've asked Magura for an exploded view diagram so I can troubleshoot. In the meantime, I thought it would be interesting to hear about the Shigura setup.

FWIW, I've been a product design engineer (medical equipment) for more than 30 years, so I ignore unsubstantiated opinions regarding product design. OTOH, if you can connect some aspect of the design to an issue you have with product performance, I'm listening. For example, you stripped the bleed screw because it's too fragile. I'd suggest controlling your inner gorilla next time, but that's just me. ;)

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
The only complaint i have is the noise from the 4 pad design and their rotors. There is a buzzing and all sorts and cant work out if its alignment or just dirt that causes it.

Im too lazy to work it out and just ride them sounding horrible but they stop like nothing ive ever used before.
Since Magura MT calipers don't use retraction springs, they rely entirely on disc scrub to push them back into the calipers. That makes them hypersensitive to any piston stickiness. IME, you'll either need to live with the scrub and noise or spend more time cleaning/lubing the pistons than on other systems.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Since Magura MT calipers don't use retraction springs, they rely entirely on disc scrub to push them back into the calipers. That makes them hypersensitive to any piston stickiness. IME, you'll either need to live with the scrub and noise or spend more time cleaning/lubing the pistons than on other systems.
I haven't looked at Shimano calipers, but the springs that come with SRAM pads are very weak, just enough to keep the pads pushed against the pistons. Magura pads use magnets for the same purpose. Maybe Shimano springs are stiff enough to retract the pistons? Seems unlikely, but the only way to know is to measure the spring force and the force needed to retract a piston. My understanding of mtb caliper design is that deflection of the piston seals is what retracts them when the levers are released.

I have only cleaned the Magura pistons when I changed pads, which has happened twice so far (I'm on my 3rd set of pads for both front and rear).

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I haven't looked at Shimano calipers, but the springs that come with SRAM pads are very weak, just enough to keep the pads pushed against the pistons. Magura pads use magnets for the same purpose. Maybe Shimano springs are stiff enough to retract the pistons? Seems unlikely, but the only way to know is to measure the spring force and the force needed to retract a piston. My understanding of mtb caliper design is that deflection of the piston seals is what retracts them when the levers are released.
I have zero experience with SRAM brakes, but your points about piston seal deflection and spring strength are well-taken. It's my practice to bend the springs on Shimano and TRP brakes a little further out than factory default with a pair of needle nose pliers to get a little bit more retraction. It may not do much, but in my experience it does enough that I don't have as much difficulty keeping them quiet vs their Magura counterparts.

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
I went down this road and it was pretty messy, ended up just putting a set of Shimano 4 pots on after lots of trial and error...
sold the Maguras in the end.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
I currently run MT5 4 pot calipers and XT (8100) levers with Jagwire hose, front 220 rear 200 floating magura rotors. I ride mostly downhill/aggressive enduro and this is the system which makes me feel the most safe and in control at speed. YMMV.

The XT master cyl has less fluid capacity than magura while the calipers seem to be roughly the same. Pair that with the servo wave and the result is less volume of fluid needs to be moved to achieve the same piston stroke at the caliper end. I also feel hose is a factor and while TRP braided hose would be optimal they are not always suited to be routed internally but the jagwire hose is noticeably less squishy than shimano or magura.

In the end it boils down to personal preference, I like a very aggressive bite with a lot of power. My ridding buddy rides Sram brakes and hates mine because he always feels like hes going to panic brake and go OTB. Conversely I feel like I have to ride his bike with the levers 2/3rd pulled at all times just to be able to control descents.

Other than feel/preferance theres probably no real reason to run Shigura. If I had to pick one or the other it would be Magura simply because of the thicker and larger dia rotors but then perhapse TRP DH brakes would be an even better option. I wont run DOT brakes on a bike as I just hate working with the stuff after 25 yrs of racing moto.

Oct 25, 2022
Scottish borders
I've got a set of MT7s, a set with mt7 front mt8 rear and a mt5 trail set. Never had a leak in mine. Mrs 100th developed a leak in her mt7 after a crash but magura replaced no questions. There is a technique to the bleed. And that bleed screw is a pain but as I say never an issue.
From some reason I just can't get SRAM brakes to feel good. I can't go back to formula after wrecking a set in a week in sierra Nevada. Like hopes but I prefer the feel of my maguras after I've bled and set them up properly.

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
I have another opinion.

Rode with Shimano Saints 4 years without any problems. Sold the bike and now have Shimano XT 4-pistons. 3rd year with no problems
Have you found a big difference between XT and Saint?
I currently have the XT and i wonder if it worth to upgrate to Saint?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Have you found a big difference between XT and Saint?
I currently have the XT and i wonder if it worth to upgrate to Saint?
Saints are more powerfull brakes, but may not be a sensible upgrade from the XT.
I would prefer to update the brake rotors and pads, way more cheaper.

I have good experiences with Galfer rotors and pads. A huge change for the better compared to the originals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles