Shigura - Magura MT5 vs MT7?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
After chatting with the guys over at Berkshire Bikes, I'm erring away from a full Magura MT7 set up as apparently the lever end can leak and are a bit of a nightmare to maintain.

So I'm looking at a Shigura set up.

Few questions for anyone who has done this, any help greatly appreciated:

1. Are the Magura MT5 calipers exactly the same as the MT7?
2. Are the Shimano XT 8100 levers pretty much the same as the XTR 9100 but just heavier?
3. The wandering bite point issue of the Shimanos is cured through the use of Magura calipers/rotors?

Cheers

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
After chatting with the guys over at Berkshire Bikes, I'm erring away from a full Magura MT7 set up as apparently the lever end can leak and are a bit of a nightmare to maintain.

2. Are the Shimano XT 8100 levers pretty much the same as the XTR 9100 but just heavier?
3. The wandering bite point issue of the Shimanos is cured through the use of Magura calipers/rotors?

Cheers

Disclaimer, I run XTR brakes (lever&calipers)

1. Yes they are the same calipers
2. My buddy runs XT M8100 levers with MT5 calipers, from comparing his levers to mine I would say they look the same but I'm not 100%.
3. My buddy says he doesn't have that issue with his setup, but with that said I don't have that issue with my XTR's either.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Disclaimer, I run XTR brakes (lever&calipers)

1. Yes they are the same calipers
2. My buddy runs XT M8100 levers with MT5 calipers, from comparing his levers to mine I would say they look the same but I'm not 100%.
3. My buddy says he doesn't have that issue with his setup, but with that said I don't have that issue with my XTR's either.

Thanks mate appreciate the steer (y)

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK

Cheers
I run mt7 calipers and saint levers on my dh bike, and mt5 estop calipers and saint levers on my trek rail, both with uberbike braided hoses.

Both perform identically, it's really just the colour of the caliper that seems to be the difference, and potentially the compound of the pads.
I run both bikes with disco brakes ceramic pro pads and they are solid. Have tried the stock magura pads and the magura race pads and they are louder (horrid bubbly metallic notice) and perform worse.

The Saint levers have the servo wave action, haven't tried running with a non-servo lever. There is no wandering bite point and I've never personally experienced it in a decade of running Shimano, providing theyre bled correctly.

Am 100% converted to shigura and will convert my acoustic trail bike in the spring too, perfect combo of solid lever feel and overwhelmingly aggressive power.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
I run mt7 calipers and saint levers on my dh bike...
I just assembled MT7 calipers with Saint levers on a recently completed bike. I noticed the lever pull is extremely short for initial pad contact; shorter than my full-Magura and full-Shimano setups. Is this your experience? The rotors are Magura Storm HC and for fluid I decided to try Bunnyhop Tribe Gold mineral oil.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have MT5 on both my bikes ebike & non ebike I did have Saint levers but have gone back to MT5 lever with loic Bruni lever better modulation than shimano which is on off run 220 Magura front & 200 rear MDR-P rotors

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Great stuff thanks all, I'm converted - now just to find somewhere with them all in stock before Christmas :D

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Merlin usually quite quick & most of German shops have Magura not sure time scale for post if I order direct from Magura saying delivery 22nd

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Older mt8000 xt levers here with mt7 calipers & racematrix pads.
Use magura hose.
Shimano compression nut & rubber cover.
I have had success using both shimano & magura olive & pin.
I do recall a shimano hose is 2.1mm id & magura 2.2mm or maybe the other way round.

No issues here and as good if not better than m820 saints.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Just a quick update, may be useful for others. Contacted Merlin who said they only sell what is on their website so couldn't offer just the calipers or just the Shimano levers. Shame as they are excellent for service; going to try Bike-Discount as they have the components as separates.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Great stuff thanks all, I'm converted - now just to find somewhere with them all in stock before Christmas :D
You need to mind yourself about which clamp style you are ordering for your Shimano Brake Levers if you are mounting Sram shifters and/or rear Sram seat post dropper levers directly to your brake levers. I run the Sram/Rockshox AXS Reverb Dropper post and Sram AXS rear mech and needed to order aftermarket adapters to mount them directly to my Shimano Saint levers (ISpec B version). Problems Solvers, Bikeyoke and Wolftooth make aftermarket adapters to complete this task. I ordered all 3 since they each put the shifter/dropper post lever in pretty much a fixed position but slightlydifferent distancs from handlebar. The BikeYoke adapter does give you some ability to adjust left to right.

problem-solvers-mismatch-adapters-207041-17.jpg

i-Spec-B-min-V2.jpg

problem-solvers-mismatch-adapters-207041-12.jpg

Screenshot_20201222-170823_Samsung Internet.jpg

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
You need to mind yourself about which clamp style you are ordering for your Shimano Brake Levers if you are mounting Sram shifters and/or rear Sram seat post dropper levers directly to your brake levers. I run the Sram/Rockshox AXS Reverb Dropper post and Sram AXS rear mech and needed to order aftermarket adapters to mount them directly to my Shimano Saint levers (ISpec B version). Problems Solvers, Bikeyoke and Wolftooth make aftermarket adapters to complete this task. I ordered all 3 since they each put the shifter/dropper post lever in pretty much a fixed position but slightlydifferent distancs from handlebar. The BikeYoke adapter does give you some ability to adjust left to right.

View attachment 47965

View attachment 47966

View attachment 47967

View attachment 47968

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice, will grab some with the order ?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
One follow up question guys - is there much of a difference in feel between the XT and the Saint levers? (i.e. will I still see good modulation either way)? - I'm trying to avoid an on/off feel to the brakes

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Its been a while since I've used Shimano XT brakes and although I liked the stopping power, modulation wasn't as good as various SRAM and Hope brakes I became accustomed to. I really like the feel of the Saint Levers with the Magura calipers on my YT Decoy. Much better modulation than the all Magura MT7 set-up on my Levo.

One option you have is to run different types of brake pads on your calipers. Wanted to try different pads than the stock Magura and went with MTX pads when I switched to the Shigura set-up. Subject matter expert at MTX runs Magura's on his rig and recommended their Gold pads for front (more stopping power) and the Red pads in the rear (better modulation).

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Gold Label HD Brake Pads
Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 6customer ratings
(6 customer reviews )
$34.99

At that price they had better be damn good !

One simple mission statement

We set out to build outstanding, high-quality braking products for the cycling industry, presented beautifully for the retail customer to help them easily choose what product is right for them. And milk them of their hard earned cash while we sit sipping cocktails in Costa Rica . LOL

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Its been a while since I've used Shimano XT brakes and although I liked the stopping power, modulation wasn't as good as various SRAM and Hope brakes I became accustomed to. I really like the feel of the Saint Levers with the Magura calipers on my YT Decoy. Much better modulation than the all Magura MT7 set-up on my Levo.

One option you have is to run different types of brake pads on your calipers. Wanted to try different pads than the stock Magura and went with MTX pads when I switched to the Shigura set-up. Subject matter expert at MTX runs Magura's on his rig and recommended their Gold pads for front (more stopping power) and the Red pads in the rear (better modulation).

I have the shigura setup with mt7 and xt 8000 levers. Using the mtx red race in front and back and really liking it. May go gold next time just to see.

I did find that on one side the shimano barb and olive in the Magura hose had a slow leak. I swapped to Magura barb and olive and it solved that

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have the shigura setup with mt7 and xt 8000 levers. Using the mtx red race in front and back and really liking it. May go gold next time just to see.

I did find that on one side the shimano barb and olive in the Magura hose had a slow leak. I swapped to Magura barb and olive and it solved that
Thanks for the input! Happen to have both Magura and Shimano barbs and the part of the barb that goes inside the brake hose is .010" larger on the Magura barb. May explain the reason for the slow leak.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Thanks for the input! Happen to have both Magura and Shimano barbs and the part of the barb that goes inside the brake hose is .010" larger on the Magura barb. May explain the reason for the slow leak.

I ran the risk since I didn’t have a spare Magura barb and olive at the time. It worked fine for a while but eventually gave out. It wasn’t the cleanest cut on the hose (oops) which may have contributed too

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

View attachment 47965

View attachment 47966

View attachment 47967

View attachment 47968

Hi guys,

Just to follow up - I've spoken with BikeYoke & ProblemSolvers; they all make adapters for the shifter but the Specialized Command Post is not supported by ProblemSolvers.

Sacki over at BikeYoke was really helpful and suggested that this adapter will work for my scenario:

- Levo Expert 2020
- Specialized Command Post dropper
- SRAM S700 shifter
- Shimano XT BL-M8100 levers

(If you are going the Saint route, they recommend the i-Spec B adapter)

So the kit list of stuff I'm buying is:
- Shimano XT BL-M8100 lever set x1
- Magura MT5 brake set x1 (oddly its only £16 more to include both levers, hoses and spare olives/barbs over just buying the calipers)
- Magura MDR-P 220m rotors x2
- Magura QM45 adapters x2
- Magura Hose Rings x1 (spare just in case)
- Magura Speed Sensor Magnet x1 (I doubt I'll need it, in fact other posts suggest it doesnt align with the Levo's sensor) but its £3.70 so worth a punt just in case)
- Bike Yoke I-Spec-EV adapter set x1
- Uberbike E-Matrix Magura MT7Pro endurance pads

Hopefully useful for anyone else going down the Shigura route!

Cheers

Cheers​

Last edited:

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Hi guys,

Just to follow up - I've spoken with BikeYoke & ProblemSolvers; they all make adapters for the shifter but the Specialized Command Post is not supported by ProblemSolvers.

Sacki over at BikeYoke was really helpful and suggested that this adapter will work for my scenario:

- Levo Expert 2020
- Specialized Command Post dropper
- SRAM S700 shifter
- Shimano XT BL-M8100 levers

(If you are going the Saint route, they recommend the i-Spec B adapter)

So the kit list of stuff I'm buying is:
- Shimano XT BL-M8100 lever set x1
- Magura MT5 brake set x1 (oddly its only £16 more to include both levers, hoses and spare olives/barbs over just buying the calipers)
- Magura MDR-P 220m rotors x2
- Magura QM45 adapters x2
- Magura Hose Rings x1 (spare just in case)
- Magura Speed Sensor Magnet x1 (I doubt I'll need it, in fact other posts suggest it doesnt align with the Levo's sensor) but its £3.70 so worth a punt just in case)
- Bike Yoke I-Spec-EV adapter set x1
- Uberbike E-Matrix Magura MT7Pro endurance pads

Hopefully useful for anyone else going down the Shigura route!

Cheers

Cheers​
You're not going to regret the setup bud, I love mine.

One thing I learnt first of all is you need the thicker brass barbs from Shimano as the magura hose is a little thicker and they can somethimes be a bit of a pain to seat.

However, for the last two shigura sets I've installed I've opted for a fresh uberbike hose kit (30 quid or so) and they come with all the connectors etc you need (just make sure to ask Andy for the new spec magura banjo bolts). I find their system a lot more reliable than the Shimano barb and olive approach, mainly due to the security of the threaded barb, like the SRAM system.

Have a good one ?

Also I got a decent deal on the calipers here https://m.bikester.co.uk/magura-mt5-estop-brake-caliper-incl-brake-pads-from-2020-black-1069979.html

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
You're not going to regret the setup bud, I love mine.

One thing I learnt first of all is you need the thicker brass barbs from Shimano as the magura hose is a little thicker and they can somethimes be a bit of a pain to seat.

However, for the last two shigura sets I've installed I've opted for a fresh uberbike hose kit (30 quid or so) and they come with all the connectors etc you need (just make sure to ask Andy for the new spec magura banjo bolts). I find their system a lot more reliable than the Shimano barb and olive approach, mainly due to the security of the threaded barb, like the SRAM system.

Have a good one ?

Also I got a decent deal on the calipers here https://m.bikester.co.uk/magura-mt5-estop-brake-caliper-incl-brake-pads-from-2020-black-1069979.html

Cheers ?

I was going to use the Magura barbs, is it worth using the thicker Shimano ones instead?

Cheers ref calipers - are the estop mt5s the same as the normal m5's?

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
As far as I know they are the same caliper body, only with 'e-optimised' pads, this was just the cheapest place for the calipers that i could find on my last build.

As far as the barb compatibility goes, the magura one quite thick (aka sits quite a long way proud of the olive)? Im not sure, but in my setups the lever end of the hose uses all shimano specific parts, and the caliper end uses all magura specific, with no mixing.

1609846372819.png

Dont look that similar to me, but I dont know exactly what the contact surface is inside the lever body (whether its just the olive diameter that matters, or the barb depth too..)

Are you planning on re-using the barb and olive that come on the MT5 kit? As these are compression fittings they can sometimes be reused, but its a bit of a coin flip..

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
As far as I know they are the same caliper body, only with 'e-optimised' pads, this was just the cheapest place for the calipers that i could find on my last build.

As far as the barb compatibility goes, the magura one quite thick (aka sits quite a long way proud of the olive)? Im not sure, but in my setups the lever end of the hose uses all shimano specific parts, and the caliper end uses all magura specific, with no mixing.

View attachment 49223

Dont look that similar to me, but I dont know exactly what the contact surface is inside the lever body (whether its just the olive diameter that matters, or the barb depth too..)

Are you planning on re-using the barb and olive that come on the MT5 kit? As these are compression fittings they can sometimes be reused, but its a bit of a coin flip..

Ah good stuff ref the calipers.

Bikester said to me that the kit comes disassembled so was going to use the original fittings (the kit apparently comes with spares though).

Is this the Uberbike hose kit you mention? - thinking if I dump the brake set for calipers only and the spare olives I save £20 so it goes a way to offset a better hose kit:

www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Hydraulic-MTB-Kevlar-Brake-Hose-System-Black

d7e8wd

May 11, 2020
UK
Ah good stuff ref the calipers.

Bikester said to me that the kit comes disassembled so was going to use the original fittings (the kit apparently comes with spares though).

Is this the Uberbike hose kit you mention? - thinking if I dump the brake set for calipers only and the spare olives I save £20 so it goes a way to offset a better hose kit:

www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Hydraulic-MTB-Kevlar-Brake-Hose-System-Black

Yea thats the kit, the last time I ordered I got an old spec banjo bolt tho (think it was m4 instead of 3, or 5 instead of 4 or something) so in the order form make sure you highlight you need the correct spec. They arent quite as tidy as the internal finish hoses but the quality is great and feels incredibly secure/confidence inspiring when putting it together, mainly because you avoid the interference fit / hammering in a barb, to a hose thats hard to grip, that you hope will stretch the hose enough, and hope the olive will stay on etc etc.. This all just torques up nice and neatly.

Setup on my rail below (I went with the smoke braided, black would probs have looked better):

1609849867916.png

1609849990056.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles