Shifting performance under load!

nmhinton

Nov 1, 2021
Bentonville
I hate it when my gears pop in a race even when I'm trying to soft pedal for the shifts, and that is on my analog bike...I am new to ebikes, and imagine that must be a worse issue there. Is there any concensus among experienced ebikers about what components offer the best shifting performance, especially shifting under load, whether intentional or not? Anyone running linkglide? Does it make a big difference? How about AXS vs analog? 11spd or 12spd? What group offers the most bang for the buck as far as shifting (not worried about saving a few grams) Thanks!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Soft pedaling for shifts is the only route in mho, I use GX eagle and have no issues in shifting at all, no different from analogue, just dont try and shift when on the gas?

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Hub gears? Nexus aren't bad, I got that for my disabled husband's trike, as he hadn't ridden a bike for fifty years and wouldn't know what a derailleur was if it bit him on the bum. So I set my trike up the same as his, except mine gets the motor. We ride as a tandem and when he gets tired I do the work for both of us. Eight gears. It does prefer not shifting under load, but you can get away with it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Although probably fine for your mild weather? motor assisted recreational riding Nexus really isn't a durable product for proper off road use in poor conditions on normal mountain bikes. The OP sounds like a drivetrain masher. Combine that with the extra torque of an EMTB and I wouldn't expect a nexus hub to last a year.

OP. Just learn how to change gear smoothly. I very much doubt at the level of racing you're at it's worthwhile trashing drivetrains for results. But if it honestly is. Use a much closer ratio cassette mated with your ideal chainring size.

Last edited:

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Hi Gary.
When I ride with my man it's nice weather and nice smooth surfaces!
On my own it's not always nice weather but nothing gnarly, and I use a hybrid bike. Think grass and gravel. Worst hazard is the tractor ruts. I guess the big advantage of the hub gear is that it's not getting covered in mud, though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles