Levo SL Gen 1 Set up Levo to have same power as SL?

Travis

Dec 30, 2019
Boise, ID USA
I know this is a strange question but I have a reason. lol

I am curious how close I could get through the Mission Control app to setting up a regular Turbo Levo to have as close to the same power delivery and assistance levels as a Turbo Levo SL.

The reason for this is that in my area there only a couple of Specialized dealers and the only thing available for me to demo/test ride is the regular Levo but I would be interested in buying the SL. I don't want to base my buying decision on the more powerful Levo.

What are your thoughts? Am I just crazy to think this is even remotely possible?

Thanks

crbnred

May 5, 2020
Prague
These two bikes are completely different. I am currently test riding Levo and Levo SL back to back before I get one of these. Levo SL with its longer crank and different motor rides completely different from Levo. Levo SL is like Honda S2000 while Levo is an AMG Merc. Including handling and power delivery. I am fit 52 and I think I am going to get Levo SL. The motor being the most important thing. After a failure of one of Levo testers on me (and reading about motor issues here) I think the current Brose motor and its design in Levo (no matter how smooth it is) is on its way out.

Travis

Dec 30, 2019
Boise, ID USA
Thanks. I'm not so much concerned about the handling or geometry or anything else. I am mostly concerned about the assistance level and if I only have the regular Levo to go off it will be hard to make a decision. I kind of figured it was along shot.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
Agreed I've ridden both also. I own the '19 Levo and test rode the SL (Around the block not on a trail) and they are completely different. The SL is so much lighter that the less powerful motor isn't that far off of the full fat on flat surfaces. I was surprised how much kick the motor had for the weight/torque figures.

If I lived in a flatter, more rolling area I would do the SL. In Colorado I have brutal lung busting climbs so I am sticking with the full fat. I can't wait for the day a lighter full fat hits the market. Love how light the SL feels.

crbnred

May 5, 2020
Prague
Thanks. I'm not so much concerned about the handling or geometry or anything else. I am mostly concerned about the assistance level and if I only have the regular Levo to go off it will be hard to make a decision. I kind of figured it was along shot.

Did you not read that part about 'longer crank and different motor' and 'including power delivery'... You can't replicate power of SL with regular Levo period. Different motors different software and primarily different philosophies.

Travis

Dec 30, 2019
Boise, ID USA
Agreed I've ridden both also. I own the '19 Levo and test rode the SL (Around the block not on a trail) and they are completely different. The SL is so much lighter that the less powerful motor isn't that far off of the full fat on flat surfaces. I was surprised how much kick the motor had for the weight/torque figures.

If I lived in a flatter, more rolling area I would do the SL. In Colorado I have brutal lung busting climbs so I am sticking with the full fat. I can't wait for the day a lighter full fat hits the market. Love how light the SL feels.

Yeah that's kind of where I am at as well. I'm in Idaho and we don't have as much lung busting terrain as you but I still get pretty winded climbing 1,500+ feet over 10-15 miles. I am in decent shape but I don't have a lot of leg strength/ it seems like the SL would give me just enough boost so I wasn't too tired to enjoy going back down the trail after getting to the top.

crbnred

May 5, 2020
Prague
I did. Thanks

One more thing. You mentioned leg strength and lung busting ascends. Levo SL will want you to pedal. As long as you can keep your cadence above 80 the sky's the limit BUT anything slower than that and you won't get much help on ascends. A different analogy Levo vs SL could be a 'lift' and a 'cardio machine'. SL just wants you to exercise.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I am curious how close I could get through the Mission Control app to setting up a regular Turbo Levo to have as close to the same power delivery and assistance levels as a Turbo Levo SL.

levo is 4x and sl 2x so set levo at 50%turbo 40 trail and 30 eco , this will get it close enough to give you an idea

crbnred

May 5, 2020
Prague
levo is 4x and sl 2x so set levo at 50%turbo 40 trail and 30 eco , this will get it close enough to give you an idea

Not even close. For one the crank 165 vs 170 difference and second - most important - the power delivery over RPM (cadence). Testing both as we speak and back to back.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You are never going to be able to replicate the most important thing about the SL, which is the weight. To try and replicate the power delivery on a Levo aside from matching power output you would have to adjust that up to factor in the extra weight.

The car analogy earlier in the thread is good as I would say the main difference is to use a car analogy HP vs torque - both motors are powerful, but the Levo has low down grunt that only needs a prod of the throttle so to speak, whereas the SL is high reving and you need to wring it’s neck a bit to get the best from it.

But the motor is only one side - really the SL is all about making a lighter and more manoeuvrable trail EMTB. All EMTB’s currently are a compromise, you want more power it weighs more, you want super low weight it’s less powerfull.

This is why you really can’t replicate the feel of an SL in a Levo, because a lighter bike takes far less of a toll on your body when riding, and is far easier to move around.

Contrary to common opinion I dont think the SL is a bike only suited for fitter riders, because actually it’s very well suited to people who will find it hard to move a 24kg bike around on the trails. For a lot of “normal” riders it might be a great option.

Compared to analog bikes it still feels like you have been shot full of PED’s, of course it will still be smoked by a full fat EMTB uphill, but it will still get you up any hill a lot easier than a normal bike.

the main issue I have seen is that if you do rides with others on full fat EMTB’s you will get left behind, and be playing catch-up.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
you can get a rough estimate of how much effort you need for a given course as well as how steep a pitch you can climb. I set the levo sl at 90 max to get up the same steepness that 50 will give on the levo. Perhaps you need to spin more on the sl. In order to get the same time on a 25 mile ride you would obviously need to turn the sl way up to stay even for the climbs, but i don't really like the sl maxed out it feels strained. On downhiils and flats it pedals above the limiter much better. On tight decending /flat trails it will leave the lev o behind as comes out of corners quicker

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
I've just switched from a Levo to SL. I am 69 years old and not particularly fit, and live in an area with a lot of very stiff climbs. The only reason I have changed is so that I can lift the bike over fences, and in that regard it is a success. However I have also found that I can ride even the steepest hills just fine on the SL. I did test drive it to verify that fact before purchase, so I would not be concerned by the lack of power.

In fact, I did my regular ride yesterday in eco throughout. It was hard but doable. 1500 feet of climb, 14 miles, and it took 30 minutes longer than today when I repeated the ride in trail mode.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles