Selling bikes

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I notice there’s no bikes for sale in the for sale section . Iam just wondering what people are doing with thier old bikes , I know lots on here are first time ebike buyers so that’s one reason .
Normal bikes are never easy to sell unless they are very cheap .
I feel used ebikes may hold value a bit better due to the high new cost and the popularity .
Also what about a section for selling other bike related items , parts cameras tyres kit etc , or should that go in the same place as bikes ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think with a forum as quiet as this one for sale section should be enough. Infact. There are probably way too many sub forums already.
I rarely sell bikes asI only ever buy bikes I'm truly happy with and generally ride them until destruction.
I currently own 12 complete bikes. Admittedly one or two are seldom ridden but when they are they are absolutely the best bike for me for the type riding they're used for.

I'm not sure whether Ebikes hold their money any better than normal bikes. With normal bikes only the most popular brands and rare/niche really hold money well and even then if your bike goes out of fashion or the manufacturer updates the frame design they tend to depreciate as quickly as anything else. I didn't actually think Ebike technology and geometry was good enough to buy one until around 18months to 2 years ago. when the current best motors are updated I'd imagine the old models will plummet in price S/H.

• Agree
Reactions: Ade

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Exactly, not only do we have to deal with new tech in the bike industry making our prid and joy obsolete, we will also (hopefully) have significant development in e-bike tech over the next few years making our e-bikes even more obsolete.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Exactly, not only do we have to deal with new tech in the bike industry making our prid and joy obsolete, we will also (hopefully) have significant development in e-bike tech over the next few years making our e-bikes even more obsolete.
Iam hoping the development will be in better batteries and we’ll be able to simply upgrade our batteries at a sensible price . ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Given that the Bosch warranty resets every time they action it they would be sensible to ensure backwards compatibility for some time but as Ryder says, the bike industry likes to ensure revenue streams and new/different is always better...

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I'm guessing Super boost hubs and 600 or even 700 watt hour batteries as standard, will be among the new things for 2019 models to try and tempt us to part with our hard earned cash. Development has been pretty relentless over the last few years and on the whole that has been a good thing. I personally am very happy with where we are now, but you can be sure the intense competition for market share will drive future development ever further and ever faster. :D lets just hope a lot of it is indeed backwards compatible.

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
I just put my Proteco Phantom X up for sale in Craigslist. I will soon put it in this forum classified section too, when I get a couple more photos. I'm selling it for half what I paid 2yrs ago. It's only got about 25 charges on it, I mostly road it only when my wife rode her ebike also, like weekend trips, beach rides, etc.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The half price point is about right for 2 year old bikes and kit in good condition , problem is people expect to pay half price of what the end of season discount price was .
I advertised a 2 year old whyte mtb last year 2 years old. For 1200. 2750 new but 1850 online discount The interested buyer went and found one for 1650 online and based on that offered me 900

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles