Seeking $20,000 to develop a new EMTB carbon fiber frame with three sizes

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
General product description:
Enduro MTB carbon frame set, travel 150-160mm, with small battery, weight of completed bike is about 18kgs,
A basic vesion of frame is provided for reference , one basic mold fit for Bafang M820 motor and batter BT F14 400wh, another mold is fit for Shimano EP8 motor and battery DARFON E2C09 418wh.
completed bike weight is about 18.5 kgs,
Additional batteries can be added at the bottle cage as a supplementary energy source.
The frame can fit for any motor as you want, we no supply motor and battery, confirm you can get the motor and battery.
Mold cost about USD$40000 for three size, Each side bears half.
Brand bicycles with an annual purchase volume of more than 200 can consider owning a unique mold owned by you.

Is there any local ebike brands want your own EMTB bike? or E-gravel is also acceptable.

stuff

Nov 3, 2022
Spain
Jim, is there a way that if 25 persons in this forum would like to order this frame can be manufactured? How long it'll take for the M820 frame?

I would order at least one and max 2.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
How does your proposed mountain bike frame differ from those already being manufactured?

Considering that molds are only a small part of the manufacturing process, what facilities do you already possess for turning out finished frames?

What other carbon fiber products do you currently manufacture?

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
op is obviously trolling guys. jezz.

the type of frame and power he's describing is already been done tens if not hundreds of times. it's a new years joke guys.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
JimLee is a real person at a real company that is interested in developing the type of bike that the "off brand DIY" crowd here are always on about.

I have had communications with JimLee and he basically laid out the same figures on mould costs etc. and that is what it costs to bring a new frame to market. It is one thing to spout on about geo and what motor and what power but the cost of entry and the time involved is considerable.

Unfortunately we were unable to make it work for us, however not because of the frame but the motor selection that we couldn't come to agreement on amongst ourselves here, but it can be done. If we had LightCarbon would have been our first choice.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Jim, is there a way that if 25 persons in this forum would like to order this frame can be manufactured? How long it'll take for the M820 frame?

I would order at least one and max 2.
one frame fit for M820 has been designed and tested, but it has been bought out by a wholesaler, If no one else bears the cost of new molds, we may not have new expenditure to develop new molds for small batch buyers in 2023, because the output of M820 motor is not large now, which means that the buyers are not fast enough to get M820. As a factory, we need to consider the speed of cost recovery. If the output of a mold does not reach more than 500 units a year, we will lose money.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
How does your proposed mountain bike frame differ from those already being manufactured?

Considering that molds are only a small part of the manufacturing process, what facilities do you already possess for turning out finished frames?

What other carbon fiber products do you currently manufacture?
you can search our name lighcarbon in google, we are the professonal OEM supplier of bike carbon fiber frames and wheels, In the past 12 years, we have designed and produced carbon fiber frames and wheel sets for more than 100 brand bicycle stores and wholesalers in the European and American markets.
Please refer to the following link for our product catalog available for public sale:
and our web:

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
we are the professonal OEM supplier of bike carbon fiber frames and wheels, In the past 12 years, we have designed and produced carbon fiber frames and wheel sets for more than 100 brand bicycle

Wow! On your web page I see fifty different frames, just as many wheels, and a whole bunch of other components! You must have millions of dollars already invested in existing molds.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
JimLee is a real person at a real company that is interested in developing the type of bike that the "off brand DIY" crowd here are always on about.

I have had communications with JimLee and he basically laid out the same figures on mould costs etc. and that is what it costs to bring a new frame to market. It is one thing to spout on about geo and what motor and what power but the cost of entry and the time involved is considerable.

Unfortunately we were unable to make it work for us, however not because of the frame but the motor selection that we couldn't come to agreement on amongst ourselves here, but it can be done. If we had LightCarbon would have been our first choice.
Thank you for your words.
For individual DIY enthusiasts, it is true that because the preferred motor and battery match are different, it is difficult to meet the cost of a new mold in quantity, so you can usually only choose a fully mature and publicly sold model.
In 2020, we tried to develop a frame that can be widely used for motors of Yamaha, Bosch, Brose, shimano and Bafang brands. However, during the test, we found that universality will reduce the safety of the frame, which is not worth the loss. Changes in the size and weight of the motor will lead to false.
Therefore, we can only choose some motors with large sales volume and easy access for targeted development.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
Wow! On your web page I see fifty different frames, just as many wheels, and a whole bunch of other components! You must have millions of dollars already invested in existing molds.
There are more molds which are non-public sale frames in our workshop.
First, these molds for public sale are not produced in a short time. It is not very difficult to accumulate these molds in more than ten years. We also deleted many imperfect molds.
Secondly, Some frames, called open mold, are produced by several factories, because they are jointly developed frames and share the cost. However, the quality is different due to the technology and quality control of each factory.
Third, some molds for public sale were originally private molds of some brand customers, who bear part of the mold cost, but later, for some reasons, they gave up the ownership of the mold.
At last, as an agency processing factory for more than ten years, the mold cost of several million dollars is not large. Unlike trading companies, our costs and assets are mainly these inputs, machines and labor. Our neighbors provide OEM carbon fiber frames for several super brands you know. Their mold costs are much higher than ours.

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
At the same time, not all the frame molds cost 30000 or 40000 dollars. We have BMX frame, three sizes, and the mold cost is only about 12000 dollars. Do you need it?

Slaine

Apr 12, 2022
France
I bought 2 frames from LCF, one for LCFS947 and second LCES004 and they works perfectly.
My contact with jimLee was great

Jim,
crown founding project is not an option?

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
I bought 2 frames from LCF, one for LCFS947 and second LCES004 and they works perfectly.
My contact with jimLee was great

Jim,
crown founding project is not an option?
My friend, Thank you for your support for our frames.
As for crowdfunding, this is a difference between sales personnel and companies. Our company is not in urgent need of one or two buyers who can pay the mold cost, because the company has enough sales, nor is it lack of funds to develop new molds, but just does not want to occupy the more funds in a short time; However, as a salesperson, I certainly hope that the larger my business volume is, the better. At the same time, I am also optimistic about the ultra light EMTB market, so I made this post, hoping to gain, but as an individual, launching crowdfunding is not convincing.

TQFreak

Dec 2, 2022
USA
My friend, Thank you for your support for our frames.
As for crowdfunding, this is a difference between sales personnel and companies. Our company is not in urgent need of one or two buyers who can pay the mold cost, because the company has enough sales, nor is it lack of funds to develop new molds, but just does not want to occupy the more funds in a short time; However, as a salesperson, I certainly hope that the larger my business volume is, the better. At the same time, I am also optimistic about the ultra light EMTB market, so I made this post, hoping to gain, but as an individual, launching crowdfunding is not convincing.
If you are seeking for the best seller product to develop I have an idea for you. Here is my dream bike - clean cool looking full suspension carbon fiber frame eMTB with 1500W (or maybe 3000W) Bafang m620 motor with larges possible to fit battery. The battery should use the whole downtube space from top to bottom. The Bafang m620 motor should be flipped up side down to free more space for the battery and to make this battery possible to be taking off the frame without removing the motor (I do not know if it is possible with the existing mounting spots of the motor, it may require to develop a custom bracket to be able to mount it up side down).

image_2022-12-15_000755567.png

Last edited:

JimLee-Lightcarbon

Lightcarbon
Apr 15, 2022
Amoy
If you are seeking for the best seller product to develop I have an idea for you. Here is my dream bike - clean cool looking full suspension carbon fiber frame eMTB with 1500W (or maybe 3000W) Bafang m620 motor with larges possible to fit battery. The battery should use the whole downtube space from top to bottom. The Bafang m620 motor should be flipped up side down to free more space for the battery and to make this battery possible to be taking off the frame without removing the motor (I do not know if it is possible with the existing mounting spots of the motor, it may require to develop a custom bracket to be able to mount it up side down).

View attachment 103090
now we have the EMTB frame fit for bafang M620 750/1000w motor, mid-drive motor have no so big power 1500w-3000w, 1000w motor is the highest power available on the regular market.
and battery is bafang BT F25 820WH battery, no so big 4000-5000wh, that request a huge space on down tube.
of you can DIY the baterry with 21700 cell 5000mah, Capacitance may reach 2000wh, but regular factory can not supply it with big quantity, This cannot pass the European battery safety standards.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles