Second set of wheels for occasional road rides

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
2019 commencal meta power 27. My bf only want to road ride. I did a 44 mile loop in western Marin county with Bruce using my ebike with my huge 27.5 plus tires. Almost 3k vertical. But I wanted to go bigger and put smooth gravel tires on. So I got a second wheel set mounted schwabe g force 29" x 2.6 smooth tread tires. It's a roval aluminum wheel set with an hg driver seeing I'm still using ex1 8 speed. Decided to keep one cassette and move it to the new wheel set on the rare occasion of use. Got it all together and installed ( don't forget you need a second speed sensor magnet ( which I had) was it worth it?? So far a big big yes. And no still with a 34 front chainring and it is not jailbroken so it's tops out a 20 mph. Otherwise it is a total joy to use on pavement.

IMG_20210707_130916_01.jpg

IMG_20210707_131321_02.jpg

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Agreed. I'm using a pixel 4a which is too tiny for my paws. I get so lazy doing voice to text via the Google app, that I forget to instruct Google to insert punctuation. And then I realize that half the words are misinterpreted by Google. So, I've been using abbreviations that don't make any sense. Because a lot of people are getting really offended by my non-punctuated paragraphs. My next phone is going to be a 6xl. Then I should be able to type.
I think my first big test of my two sets of Wheels will be coming mid part of next week. I'm hoping to ride with my son Tuesday and Wednesday down in Monterey and at Toro Park. I'll use my ark 40 pro for with a 3.0 * 27.5 surly wizard in the back. The front sports a 2.8 Max's that I bought during the depth of covid-19. I really believe that that 144 mi bike ride on the road that I took with those tires significantly wore them out. I'm going to bring the second wheel set with these amazing balloon tires. It's really amazing to hold and look at this wheel set. It just feels and looks and rides so radically different than anything I've written that I really recommend people try this. So then on Thursday I'll switch the wheels to go for the same 44 mile ride with my buddy Bruce. I think that that would be the most clear proof of concept test of why have two e-bikes when you can have two sets of Wheels. Okay I'm not going to go as fast as if I got a specialized type of bike that goes 28 miles an hour uphill if I wanted to work that hard. But seeing as I really only like to go mountain biking I'm just doing this road riding thing because he's my really good friend BF you know, that I think it's going to be so comfortable to ride that well suspended bike in which I have a perfect position on it and it's totally top-notch and it is just the best thing to go down a hill as fast as possible and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some pretty high speeds on those tires going down the Marshall Hill to Tomales in California. But do I really want to see how fast that bike will go downhill?? My honest estimate of how fast I could get going on that bike with those Wheels going down a steep smooth Hill...easy 50 mph. I'm completely convinced it will get up to that speed in no time flat. The fastest I've ever gone on a bike was when I was traveling down California one around Big Sur many years ago on a very very basic Trek bike and I got into the mid 40s with the full load of kanyes and all the camping stuff. And just as I hit that 40 plus miles on some French hub simplex hub you guys know about that?? Yeah so the next thing that happens is that the ball bearings sheared in half. And as I recall at the bottom of that Hill we pulled over and some nice individual came by and drove me to a bike shop where I can buy some new ball bearings. And after repair on side of road we proceeded to continue our ride down to San Simeon. but the way that bike is going to roll that ebike with these suspension and it's heavy, 43 miles an hour is just going to be doing nothing that'll be at the first quarter part of the Hill hit 43.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles