SCOTT Genius 900 (2021) weight upgrades worth it? (carbon/alu)

RS456

Jan 13, 2022
Netherrlands
Hey guys,
I am on the bridge of buying a SCOTT genius 900, friend of mine has one up for sale with 700km on it.
Originally wanted to go for a Orbea Rise H or Santa Cruz heckler,
but the prices have gone through the roof. And there is simply a limit to where I want to go...

My riding; most flatland to hills, mostly forest and dune trails.
Hardly no heavy rain/thick mud riding for me in the Netherlands.
79kg heavy, 187cm long, 93cm inseam.
Bike is mostly SX and with an NX derailler.

According to some online reviews this models weighs around 23-24kg out of the box,
not too shabby for a bosch gen4 cx emtb, has carbon mainframe and aluminium rear triangle.
I like to have a light bike, my former bike was a cube action team 160 of around 25kg.
So my aim is to get a bike to weigh around 20-21kg but still have a 500-625wh battery.

Would you guys think this is possible?
If yes, is it worth it?
If yes, what items would you recommend to upgrade?

My thoughts:
1. carbon or very light alu rim set (1500-1800gr) - any recommendations?
(esitmate original - could not find it, thinking 2000-2100g)
2. carbon handlebar 780mm - any recommendations?
(estimate original around 300gr)
3. maybe lighter dropper post - any recommendations?
(original around 544gr)
4. maybe a lighter saddle - any recommendations?
(original around 220-245gr not too bad, maybe not worth it)
5. later on maybe lighter tyres (on it hans dampf 1150 + 1200)
(was thinking wolfpack enduro / kenda hellcat - set total 1800gr) any other recommendations?
6. later on maybe a lighter cassette then SX (630gr) when the 1st one is worn out

Last edited:

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Hey guys,
I am on the bridge of buying a SCOTT genius 900, friend of mine has one up for sale with 700km on it.
Originally wanted to go for a Orbea Rise H or Santa Cruz heckler,
but the prices have gone through the roof. And there is simply a limit to where I want to go...

My riding; most flatland to hills, mostly forest and dune trails.
Hardly no heavy rain/thick mud riding for me in the Netherlands.
79kg heavy, 187cm long, 93cm inseam.
Bike is mostly SX and with an NX derailler.

According to some online reviews this models weighs around 23-24kg out of the box,
not too shabby for a bosch gen4 cx emtb, has carbon mainframe and aluminium rear triangle.
I like to have a light bike, my former bike was a cube action team 160 of around 25kg.
So my aim is to get a bike to weigh around 20-21kg but still have a 500-625wh battery.

Would you guys think this is possible?
If yes, is it worth it?
If yes, what items would you recommend to upgrade?

My thoughts:
1. carbon or very light alu rim set (1500-1800gr) - any recommendations?
(esitmate original - could not find it, thinking 2000-2100g)
2. carbon handlebar 780mm - any recommendations?
(estimate original around 300gr)
3. maybe lighter dropper post - any recommendations?
(original around 544gr)
4. maybe a lighter saddle - any recommendations?
(original around 220-245gr not too bad, maybe not worth it)
5. later on maybe lighter tyres (on it hans dampf 1150 + 1200)
(was thinking wolfpack enduro / kenda hellcat - set total 1800gr) any other recommendations?
6. later on maybe a lighter cassette then SX (630gr) when the 1st one is worn out

I have a Scott Strike 920 in XL. It's a very big, moderately heavy bike but it has a 625 wh battery so I'm not too concerned about the weight.

If you want a light e-MTB I would suggest one that is lighter than the Genius from the factory, you will be dollars ahead. According to your own description, you don't need the downhill credentials of the Genius so maybe a lighter bike with less suspension travel and a 500 wh battery would suit your needs better.

Or maybe your desire for lightness is irrational and you would be happy with the Genius, mostly as is.

RS456

Jan 13, 2022
Netherrlands
The genius with the carbon frame is a moderate weight bike. As such I thought I could get to my dream bike over time with upgrades and also fulfill my wish of a lighter, mid weight but more progressive emtb. Thanks for your feedback @MountainBoy

Mike Malanowicz

Feb 8, 2022
Warsaw, Poland
I have both eStrike and eGenius bikes and the main difference between the two are tires and suspension. There are minor differences here and there, but in general - the frame is identical.

Genius 900 (not "tuned" version) can be a great bike if you change most of the parts, starting with poor and very heavy fork (>2.500kg) which can be costly. I went with the Zeb (170mm, 2,2kg), and it is night and day difference. Also most of the parts you mentioned will wear out so you will upgrade them anyway, but... still, I don't think you'll get close to 20-21kg. In my opinion it will be around 22,5 in its best, which I would say is really good for ebike with full power and the best engine in its class.

My concern is also your demand for progressive geometry - I would say, that Scott is pretty conservative here. Check the dimensions before you decide to go for it. On the other hand - really it is a very capable bike. You'll not regret it in any way. I'm having tons of fun...

IMG_6394.JPG

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles