Scotland Trip

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Planning a trip to Scotland next year which will probably be Innerleithen/Torridon/Fort Williams with a couple of other rides to break up journey times. Looking for a couple of tips - 1) Torridon accommodation? Have found a place with some cabins 15mins away but doesn't seem to be much immediately in the area (need electric to charge ebikes!). Anyone stayed locally and can recommend? 2) Fort William alternative to DH trails - Have given ourselves a couple of days in the area. If the Gondola's are closed due to wind any recommendations for other rides in the area and GPS routes?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's a hell of a lot of driving.
How long are you coming up for?
And us your visa up to date? 😉

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
That's a hell of a lot of driving.
How long are you coming up for?
And us your visa up to date? 😉

It is a fair bit of driving, especially as I live down in Kent. About 8-9hrs to Innerleithen I think. Looking at about 9 days for the trip to make sure we have at least a couple of days at each spot. Couple of early starts and we can get things like travel between Innerleithen and Torridon done by late morning to get a solid ride in same day. Should be fun! Might add a day to break up the return leg from Fort William though as that's 11hrs.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You could easily spend all 9 days in the Innerleithen/Peebles area and ride new trails every day and still not cover every trail. Most trails also ride well no matter what the weather. Find a local to guide/advise you. But be honest about your riding level.
Personally I wouldn't even bother going to Fort William if you're not riding the DH track gondola accessed. There are far better riding areas closer to the the central belt with far nicer towns. (Dunkeld, Aberfoyle, Stirling, cambusbarron etc.)
Torridon has great trails if the weather is kind to you but the place is a barron shit hole. Personally I'd ride a normal bike rather than my Ebike if ever going to Torridon again.
You haven't said when you're planning to come. If you come mid summer you can ride until 10pm without lights even as far south as inners (tree cover means you may struggle on certain trails a little earlier than that). And bear in mind it's lighter a lot longer in Torridon and Fort William so crazy early starts just aren't needed.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
You could easily spend all 9 days in the Innerleithen/Peebles area and ride new trails every day and still not cover every trail. Most trails also ride well no matter what the weather. Find a local to guide/advise you. But be honest about your riding level.
Personally I wouldn't even bother going to Fort William if you're not riding the DH track gondola accessed. There are far better riding areas closer to the the central belt with far nicer towns. (Dunkeld, Aberfoyle, Stirling, cambusbarron etc.)
Torridon has great trails if the weather is kind to you but the place is a barron shit hole. Personally I'd ride a normal bike rather than my Ebike if ever going to Torridon again.
You haven't said when you're planning to come. If you come mid summer you can ride until 10pm without lights even as far south as inners (tree cover means you may struggle on certain trails a little earlier than that). And bear in mind it's lighter a lot longer in Torridon and Fort William so crazy early starts just aren't needed.

Cheers. I'll have a look at some of those other places you mention. Hoping sometime between June/July for the trip.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
What is your preferred style and level of riding?

To be honest I mix it up as much as possible between DH rides and big trail days out. DH on my Enduro/Trail on my ebike. I take both when I get away on trips. Probably slightly favour the big trail days out more so long as there's good descents/singletrack etc on them. Don't want to spend hrs plodding on a fire road. Probably put myself in intermediate level, happy having a go at most things (except the jumping side of things...still working on that). Drops/techy terrain I'm ok with though.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you ride DH also do a day at Glencoe.
There are two tracks there now. An easier one and the proper one. (regarded as one of the hardest DH race track in the UK). Both a fair bit shorter than Ft William but chairlift is faster so you'll get more runs in.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
You would have to get a really early start to get some riding in " late " morning leaving from Inners to Torridon ..don't just look at the mileage involved as the further North West you go the narrower the roads get and end up singletrack with passing places !
Where I would disagree with Gary though is in his description of Torridon being a barren shithole..granted there aren't too many amenities..but its one of the most scenic places on earth ..
I'm heading a little further up the coast in March and staying in a two bed apartment near Gairloch ..for very little money .
Can't really recommend any accomodation as when visiting the area we have usually booked a cottage ..but get yer skates on as you are in peak season on the dates you mention so you need to be looking now!
This book ( although there are online sites like Trailforks) ..will give you some good ideas ..
20211128_184703.jpg

Other places which have fantastic riding ..Arran & Harris ..with the former being the more accessible of the two ..
Hope you have a great time ..

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
It’s definitely a lot of driving. going up via Inverness can be a 1-2 hours faster than via Fort William but not quite as scenic. Most people seemed to be staying in campervans when we visited but The Torridon hotel looked nice to stay at but pricey.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles