SC-E8000 ANT Connection

Budzik

Sep 30, 2020
Socal
Noob with a new Kona Remote 160 with the SC-E8000 screen. With my Google and forum search, it appears this screen is not able to connect to apps such as E-tube Ride and I'd have to downgrade to SC-E7000 screen. However the Shimano manual states the below:

"ANT connection (SC-E8000/SC-E7000/SC-E6100/EW-EN100)
When the main power is turned ON for SHIMANO STEPS, communication can be received at any time. Switch the external device to connection mode and then connect it. For SC-E8000, you can check [Bluetooth LE/ANT] to confirm whether the connection was successful."

So my question is what type of ANT devices can connect to the SC-E8000 screen.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Unfortunately, that has been a typo on some pages of the Shimano STEPS website and manuals since last year.
The SC-E8000 display does NOT connect out to E-Tube Ride, you need one of the other displays or the EW-EN100 (what I use myself).

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
E-Tube project can connect to the E8000 display for upgrading firmware and customising settings (although that appears broken in the latest app update). Also ST Unlocker (a third party program) can also do this for a few dollars in the App stores and can also unlock regions and other stuff for an extra fee.

What the E8000 display can't do is TRANSMIT data (speed, cadence, etc) to external devices via bluetooth where the others can.

So basically E-Tube Project connects. E-Tube Ride and Garmin devices don't unless you change to another display or the EN-EW100. The other displays and EN-EW100 are fully compatible with the E8000 motor.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles