Saris Bones 2

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Does anyone use a Saris Bones 2/3 boot rack to carry a single ebike?
My bike is 25kg (22kg if I remove the battery) which is over Saris weight limit for a single bike but well under the two bike limit
If not can you recommend something else but please note it isn’t possible to fit a tow bar to our car and I’m not lifting the bike on to the roof
Thanks

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I’m not a fan of the bones 2 as I don’t think the single upper arm is stable enough but I’ve had a bones 3 for about 12 years and it’s fantastic rock solid,easy to adjust and bomb proof

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’m not a fan of the bones 2 as I don’t think the single upper arm is stable enough but I’ve had a bones 3 for about 12 years and it’s fantastic rock solid,easy to adjust and bomb proof

Glad to hear you find it ok with the weight and good point about the single leg, I hadn’t realised that. I’ve been look at the EX version which I think both have four legs any way. I’ll probably go with the three bike option though now
There’s a worrying amount available used so it’s nice to find some that uses successfully

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Thanks for that. The Saris is considerably cheaper, even the EX version, and was my first choice as I’ve had one before
The Thule is lockable, approved for Mini and ebike rated and the Saris isn’t any of these unfortunately

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Thanks for that. The Saris is considerably cheaper, even the EX version, and was my first choice as I’ve had one before
The Thule is lockable, approved for Mini and ebike rated and the Saris isn’t any of these unfortunately
Understood. When I was looking I figured that the 105lb max capacity would work out as long as I always put the bike on the section closest to the car. Has been great so far.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
That was my logic and why I asked for other users experiences bit is vehicle compatibility that has tipped it for me
Obviously I won’t know for sure until I try one or both to see what is what in the real world. I might end up doing that and sending back the one I least like. I just hope it isn’t both 😂

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
That was my logic and why I asked for other users experiences bit is vehicle compatibility that has tipped it for me
Obviously I won’t know for sure until I try one or both to see what is what in the real world. I might end up doing that and sending back the one I least like. I just hope it isn’t both 😂
Best of luck with it mate!

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I finally got round to sorting this out today. I bought a Thule OutWay Hanging 2 Its rated for 30kg and even though there’s a 15kg bike limit Thule say a single ebike is still ok, mine is 22kg without the battery which you should remove for transport anyway
It fits rock solid especially with the Plastic Spoiler Reinforcement Straps fitted, they made a big difference to the flex in the door/spoiler so I’ll be running them full time
Every bike is different and I chose to modify the straps on my rack to suit my bike and to be honest it sits off centre with no overhang on the left and quite a bit on the right. I can live with that and I doubt I’ll bother with a trailer board and just take my chances

2A73097E-25A4-4975-B5FA-143EB7734C13.jpeg

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I had an F56 mini and a saris rack, this was before having an ebike though. Bought an estate car which vastly improved my paranoia of it falling off!

I miss the mini a lot though.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I hope this is a temporary solution. I sold the van and we were left with the Mini. It’s a great second car but not so good as an only car so I’d like to change it. But in these uncertain times it’s what I’ve got and it’s paid for 😀 so it stays for now and the rack is the best compromise. There is no tow bar for the Cooper S and to retrofit the Mini rack is about £2k which will go a long way toward an eventual swap

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
It is. My previous bike, was 27.5" wheels. Estate car (passat B8) would swallow it whole, so its like 20 seconds and you are on the road.

the ebike is 29", and the boot won't quite close so I have to take the front wheel off.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Everything is a compromise 🤷‍♂️

It will be worth it to be able to get out further afield again

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles