Sam2/jam2 rubber cable port surround

MrNice

Jun 25, 2021
Wales
Hi,

I'm looking to re-route the cables from this stupid c.i.s stem to going through the holes in the frame which are covered by plastic covers on my Sam2.
I believe there's rubber/plastic surrounds which are from a jam2 ( I'm not 100% which bike ) but there's certainly something out there which is designed to produce a clean and neat finish for when you choose to use the holes in the downtube.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for these please ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I answered this before (maybe not to you). I'm pretty sure that the standard vented ports that were fitted to my 2019 Jam2 will fit. You will be able to order them from any Focus dealer.
Focus vent.jpg

The vent has a grill facing to the right. All my cables go into the vent on the other side of the bike.

MrNice

Jun 25, 2021
Wales
Yes you did reply before but your frame is a completely different style mate so those covers won't work on the 2021 sam2

dropbear14

Apr 19, 2021
Brisbane
Again though you're going to have to contact your dealer for the custom grommets to fit in the frame and allow the cables to pass through. I'm unsure but possibly they even came with the bike new (extras in the bike box) but weren't fitted. Don't hold me to that and get upset at your local bike shop for not giving them to you, but I'm just saying that perhaps they even have them in the shop to just give to you.

scrubydoo

Aug 17, 2021
Sydney
@MrNice

I've just moved from a Jam2 to a Sam2 and find the headsets are rubbish. Internal plastic part snapped on week 1 and got it replaced under warranty.

My old Jam2 had the open grommets on the downtube for internal routing. I'm going to get the Focus dealer to swap my headset over and ask them to supply the correct grommets - they'll be able to source from the Focus distributor.

I wasn't able to find the exact ones online so thought it would be easier to get the shop to handle it.

FYI - When the replaced the headset they had to drop the motor out, so I won't be attempting to do the conversion myself.

If you're looking for a headset the only one I could find that's the right size was from Superstar Components in UK. Size: ZS56 Top, ZS56/40 Bottom.

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
@MrNice

I've just moved from a Jam2 to a Sam2 and find the headsets are rubbish. Internal plastic part snapped on week 1 and got it replaced under warranty.

My old Jam2 had the open grommets on the downtube for internal routing. I'm going to get the Focus dealer to swap my headset over and ask them to supply the correct grommets - they'll be able to source from the Focus distributor.

I wasn't able to find the exact ones online so thought it would be easier to get the shop to handle it.

FYI - When the replaced the headset they had to drop the motor out, so I won't be attempting to do the conversion myself.

If you're looking for a headset the only one I could find that's the right size was from Superstar Components in UK. Size: ZS56 Top, ZS56/40 Bottom.

Hi @scrubydoo
I'm guessing you responded to my facebook post.
Just curious as to why they needed to drop the motor?
Thanks

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
OK. This is what is needed - KD325920029 x2

I don't see why I cant re-route cables, then just change the bearings in the headset. should be replacements without needing to replace the whole headset. Also, the cable bungs have a slot in so can be added later after all the routing has been done. I'm just going to strip it down and have a look.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
No, there's no reason why you can't do that. You might wish to consider upgrading the headset while you're in there, the Acros OEM one is made up of a cup, a cheap caged bearing race & a flimsy cover top & bottom & isn't up to much. I'd be inclined to fit a sealed bearing, considerng the beating the lower headset takes.

Otherwise, you'll have to strip all the controls back to the cable lines in order to route them & obvs that involves re-bleeding brakes, possiby indexing the gears, depending on whether or not you knock them out of true, adjusting the dropper etc.

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
@MrNice

Good shout. Just ordered Superstar one. Getting the 2 cable guides is proving to be very tricky though. No stock in the uk

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles