Levo Gen 3 S4 for 5’10”?

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, I'm 5'10 and having a hard time with this. My previous bike was a large but always felt too large, my current bike is a medium and feels a tad small but closer to right and a longer stem made it more normal.

Looking at the specs, I fit closer to an S3, but the S4 I test rode felt fine, and I can't find an S3 to test. I'm supposed to order tomorrow but so on the fence. Think I'll go S3 since I feel like I can make a smaller bike work while a bigger bike just always felt too big.

My problem is I'm shorter in leg length and more regular in the torso.

Last edited:
Reactions: K78

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
There is S4 2022 comp alloy for sale locally that I’m considering buying.

Ive always leaned towards S3 when considering new.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I’m 5’ 10” and have an S4, I wouldn’t want it any smaller, but I ride Forrest single track mostly. No problems with agility.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’m 5’10” (178cm) as well, have a Medium Focus Jam2 and an S4 Turbo Levo.

I can make both work fine, but do feel the S4 is as large as I’d want, and on reflection probably should have got a S3, but having never ridden the smaller one I’m speculating that it would be noticeably more agile.

Mike_H

Mar 21, 2023
Australia
I went through this same thought process - I'm 5'10 as well.

S3 is the size that 'fits' according to Specialized, and I tried both an S3 and S4. I could certainly ride an S3 but I prefer my bikes to be larger rather than smaller, so I went with an S4. Perfectly happy with that choice.

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I'm 6' so just a tad taller. Before I sat on one, I was on the fence between S3 and S4 as well thinking that normally I'd sacrifice some climbing ability on the S3 buuuuut it's an eMTB so who cares :)

However, then I went to a shop and sat on an S4 and instantly knew that I didn't even want to try an S3 as I think it would've felt too cramped. I bought an S4 about a week ago now and very happy with my choice.

you also mentioned you're a novice rider so I'm guessing you're not going to be trying to whipping the bike around (maybe you are? I dunno haha). I think the S4 would be a nice comfy fit and will feel stable but not boring at all.
So my vote is S4 even though you are 2" shorter.

lastly, you mentioned there is one for sale locally to you. you can buy them new right now for a good discount, so if the one available local to you is used, compare pricing to make sure it's worth it.

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
i 178cm ride s3 expert with headset low 4x spacer deity 50mm stem and 38mm deity bar. . best setup. this is the play machine.
F+R
2.5 wt maxxis DHF maxxterra exo+ cushcore

Last edited:

Ozmtb

Apr 7, 2023
Australia
I am 178cm and have an S4 with 40 mm riser bars from my old bike and it feels great. I do have long legs which is probably going to be a major factor.
Here is a link where you can compare the two sizes / bikes

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Well there is no congruity here as to which size.

I am also 178. But, I happily ride an S3- perfect size for me.

I have short legs ( 30" inner & shrinking).

Upper body forward stretch would be my decider. ie how far to reach bars whilst seated normally. I wouln't want to be too elongated/stretched-out. Of course, there is some adjustment with the stem length, but generally its easier to add than remove. So, my recommendation would be to try and test both , but if thats not possible veer on the side of the slightly smaller frame.

Saddle height is a neutral issue, step over a non-issue, but how stretched out and comfortable in your riding cockpit (Dropper, Shifter, brakes etc) you feel would clinch it for me.

Mr. Light

Jan 3, 2023
Los Angeles
I'm 5"11 ride S5 with the seat all the way forward. Puuurrrrfect! My personal thoughts are spesh ebikes always run small since the beginning.

View attachment 111622
Me too. 5'11", S4 was too small, ride it for a month and was never comfortable. Got an S5, shorter stem (35mm), seat all the way forward and peeeerrrrrrfect!

On the Kenevo SL I rode an S4 but the Levo runs small. If you're 5'10" an S3 is going to be REALLY small. This isn't BMX where you're trying to fit onto the smallest bike possible. It's an Ebike, get comfortable.

I won't argue these points with Jack Moir, the dude is a giraffe and rides a circus bike but he's a pro and has his reasons that work for him. For the rest of us mortals.......

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Agreed. Too small equals sore knees for me. The first gen levos always got XL even though I'm not extra large. Wife has 21 Kenevo and it runs a size small also. I could be wrong but I seem to remember that when you go to the bigger size bike, the wheel base is slightly longer which is what I want when climbing to help keep the front wheel down. Just an opinion from an average rider. When you go to the med they are more flickable but at the expense of front wheel bob. If you don't climb then not an issue.

DirtFarmer

Dec 12, 2021
Lethbridge
I have an S4 2022 Levo and I’m 5’10”.
I changed to a 35mm stem and also traded the 170mm dropper for a 150mm, that way it inserts all the way to the collar and is as low as possible when dropped. I’ve included a video from The Joy of Bike. When I did my RAD measurement it was perfect (after the changes). The measurement will give you confidence when making your size choice. Have fun with your new bike.

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
My personal thoughts are spesh ebikes always run small since the beginning.
Me too. 5'11", S4 was too small, ride it for a month and was never comfortable. Got an S5, shorter stem (35mm), seat all the way forward and peeeerrrrrrfect!

On the Kenevo SL I rode an S4 but the Levo runs small. If you're 5'10" an S3 is going to be REALLY small. This isn't BMX where you're trying to fit onto the smallest bike possible. It's an Ebike, get comfortable.
I would agree with them being smaller in general based off of feel. I’m happy with my S4 but it does feel smaller than my large Evil Wreckoning. I’m typically a large in all bikes.
I don’t think the S4 feels TOO small though, but I could definitely see an S5 feeling comfy too. (I’m 6’)

Internet sizing is always so difficult! There really isn’t a cut and dry solution here as personal preference plays such a big part and more than one size is perfectly acceptable.

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I have an S4 2022 Levo and I’m 5’10”.
I changed to a 35mm stem and also traded the 170mm dropper for a 150mm, that way it inserts all the way to the collar and is as low as possible when dropped. I’ve included a video from The Joy of Bike. When I did my RAD measurement it was perfect (after the changes). The measurement will give you confidence when making your size choice. Have fun with your new bike.
What size stem did yours come with?? I have an S4 and mine came with a 35mm stem stock.

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Im 6,2 owned the S4 for a year and upgraded to a better specced S5.

The s4 felt slightly to small and the s5 felt slightly to big!
I now run the "steep" headset cup and a 35mm stem and feels great, however buying again I would probably steer back towards S4 being a more playful rider, i felt though a bit smaller it was a bit more active with my riding style.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles