Running out of Adventures ?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
After 2.5 years and 4000 miles of riding from my door I need to start looking else wear for some routes.
For those that don't use a Garmin device or Kamoot I would suggest to have a go, they have found me some great adventures that I would have never found left to my own local knowledge.

Time for me to start moving my search area within Kamoot and doing some longer rides from the door, i guess my average ride is 20 miles and longest is 40 which I consider a good ride.

All of this is subject to wear you live and how much country side you have on your door step and the distance you have ridden , me not so fortunate living in the east midlands :rolleyes:

Does anyone else feel they have seen it all from there doorstep or is it just me?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I rarely ride from home even though I live on the doorstep of some fantastic riding ..its just that there is some even better riding a short car journey away and if I'm staying local I'd rather get to the good stuff ASAP....saying that I love travelling to different areas to mix things up a bit ..although if fuel prices keep going up then I might have to revise my thinking a touch 🤔 😁..
After 26yrs of riding mtb's there is very little off road from my door that I havent ridden at some point ..

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
My last adventure was travelling to the UK and ride the tweedvalley and forest of dean.
The riding is phenomenal on these sites and the trails are some of the best I ever rode worldwide.
But riding the bike on urban places was really scary if compared to cities like Paris or Barcelona where its safe to ride. And then, driving on countryside roads on the UK is really enerving.
Worst of all was airport hassle that made me resolve not to take any flights anymore for a few years, so will keep my adventures to the places I can drive to.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Birdie said "And then, driving on countryside roads on the UK is really enerving..."
Birdie ...I live in the heart of Northumberland and the way to drive on country roads is just to close your eyes foot to the metal and trust to luck 😁.
I live on the edge of Kielder Forest and the Timber Waggon boys don't give a fk how much of a corner they take up ..makes life interesting though ..
Ps ..is enerving the same as unnerving but in an electric car ?😉😁

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
After 2.5 years and 4000 miles of riding from my door I need to start looking else wear for some routes.
For those that don't use a Garmin device or Kamoot I would suggest to have a go, they have found me some great adventures that I would have never found left to my own local knowledge.

Time for me to start moving my search area within Kamoot and doing some longer rides from the door, i guess my average ride is 20 miles and longest is 40 which I consider a good ride.

All of this is subject to wear you live and how much country side you have on your door step and the distance you have ridden , me not so fortunate living in the east midlands :rolleyes:

Does anyone else feel they have seen it all from there doorstep or is it just me?

When you say 20-40 miles rides, I guess you are referring to XC rides ?

When you are sessioning trails the distance is kind of irrelevant as you could be out for many hours riding the same trails and then only have covered a few miles in that time

For example, we had a day off yesterday, went to ride some off piste at Dalby, arrived at 9am, left at 4pm, and only covered 20 miles. If we went for an XC ride we could cover 20 miles in less than two hours. We’ll find features within the trails such as drops, gaps, rooty chutes etc that we’ll do over & over again until we’ve nailed them

XC rides are fun but we’d soon get bored if that was the only type of riding we were doing

Have you been to Hemlock Stone near Nottingham (Stapleford Hill I think) ? The trails there are meant to be excellent and are for all abilities of riders. It’s on our list of places to go

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Have you been to Hemlock Stone near Nottingham (Stapleford Hill I think) ?
I wouldn't make a special effort to go, there's no trail network , its just a small park area, there is some jumps and stuff people have built, 10 mile ride there 4 miles pissing about and a 10 mile canal and road ride back :rolleyes:

Now that's a ride from last holiday, roll on next year .

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I wouldn't make a special effort to go, there's no trail network , its just a small park area, there is some jumps and stuff people have built, 10 mile ride there 4 miles pissing about and a 10 mile canal and road ride back :rolleyes:

Now that's a ride from last holiday, roll on next year .

OK so now I’m confused. Ten miles is practically on your doorstep. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Hemlock Stone. Well constructed & maintained with a large variety of jumps, gaps, drops, hips, shark fins, dh trails etc

it’s a 220 mile and 4hr round trip for us and we’re prepared to go, as do many other people from Yorkshire

the features look great on this vid for example:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Can anyone recommend some good 40 mile xc rides
I am down south so some new forest / Surrey hills etc
But would be happy to travel a few hours for a really good place

any Recommend places ??

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
OK so now I’m confused. Ten miles is practically on your doorstep. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Hemlock Stone.

it’s a 220 mile and 4hr round trip
Not sure whats confusing you, its a bomb hole with jumps dug out, if that's you bag then go for it. You keep mentioning trails? Let me no if you find any hidden gems. The map below shows quiet clearly its within a built up area. Red dot is your jump pit.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I was confused as your initial post stated you are running out of adventures. I suggested Hemlock Stone, which is highly rated by many, and you instantly dismissed it as ‘pissing about on a hill for 4 miles’, yet it’s local to you, and could provide many months of fun learning to progress on many different types of jumps & features

If that doesn’t appeal to you then fair enough. Good luck finding more long distance rides

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Convenience is having a ride from the front door but there's always something else to aim for which usually requires transporting. I'm definitely a creature of habit.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Well I was in a strange are to me yesterday I can see all the routes on trail fork but no way I could understand that. So I need to investigate a Garmin etc. I use memory map on phone for hill routes if in unknown place. But its a lot of stop and start look at map . But that's what it's about. I know so many places like the back of my hand but ebiking has taken me back to exploring new areas like I used to do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles