RS Lyriks for ebikes

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
Strongly considering making the switch from my new 2020 Fox 36 factory’s to a 170 Rockshox Lyrik ultimate, but i cant seem to find any info on whether you need to buy ebike specific Lyriks or can you just fit a set from a normal bike??
The fox look the part but no matter what i do i cant seem to get them to feel right, low speed compression seems to be non existent.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. you don't need Ebike specific anything for an Ebike

what can't you get the compression to do? and do you know how it works? (LS vs HS)?

Lyrik is simpler to set up. but a Lyrik and 36 can be set up pretty similarly if you know what you're doing.

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
basically i cant get the fork to react to small bumps, it gives really bad arm pump on a prolonged downhill section. i demo’d a santacruz LT with lyriks the other day and didn’t experience any sort of issue with what i do on the 36,s.
My 36’s have the fit4 cartridge fitted, i have removed the air chamber cap and removed 2 10cc spacers which were fitted in there. although linear feeling, they definitely feel more plus mid stroke but still not full happy with them. my sags set at 20% running 90psi as im 105kg.

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
i never said more would?? i said it feels non existent. for me the high speed compression is fine, big jumps, drops etc not a problem. but the part that controls those small fast bumpy sections of a trail the fork just doesn’t seem to react with whats going on?? and to my knowledge thats low speed compression??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My 36’s have the fit4 cartridge fitted, i have removed the air chamber cap and removed 2 10cc spacers which were fitted in there. although linear feeling, they definitely feel more plus mid stroke but still not full happy with them. my sags set at 20% running 90psi as im 105kg.

I'm going to jump in and suggest you should have added a spacer, not removed and reduced the pressure... but I'm a muppet... Wouldn't that make the fork more progressive and give you better small bump sensitivity ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
forget compression for now.
it's clear you don't really understand what it's for
turn both comp adjusters full open (off)
next put your tokens back in the fork. They'll allow you to run LESS psi without bottoming out the fork. ie/ more sag. and better smal bump compliance. next sort out your rebound so it reacts quickly enough (but obvs not so fast it's lifting the front)
sort all this out first. Before you even touch your compression adjusters.
You shouldn't really be trying to limit travel with your compression settings. (well.. .not at this point anyway). come back to it later focusing on control not support.

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
well going off the fox website, my 170 36’s were not supposed to even have spacers fitted?? so i thought adding more may of worsened the problem??

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I've have rode Lyrik Ultimate and Fox factory back to back down the same tracks and found exactly what you said. The Lyrik was amazing on small bump stuff compared to the Fox but the Fox felt a little more "solid" on bigger hits.
I'm no expert though:)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've have rode Lyrik Ultimate and Fox factory back to back down the same tracks and found exactly what you said. The Lyrik was amazing on small bump stuff compared to the Fox but the Fox felt a little more "solid" on bigger hits.
I'm no expert though:)
The 36 is a stiffer fork in the initial travel. but that translates to more suppoerive the harder you ride

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
well going off the fox website, my 170 36’s were not supposed to even have spacers fitted?? so i thought adding more may of worsened the problem??
All the spacers do is change the air spring curve. if you add them the fork will become more progressive the further into the travel it gets. This means you can run it softer in the first place. (more sag, better small bump sensitivity)

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
brillint thanks for your help with that. thats the first post i have read anywhere thats truely explains what adding those spacers does and can help do.
do you think i should put the 2 back in or put the max of 4 in and run a load more sag for the small

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
brillint thanks for your help with that. thats the first post i have read anywhere thats truely explains what adding those spacers does and can help do.
do you think i should put the 2 back in or put the max of 4 in and run a load more sag for the small
There is no 100% definitive answer as everyone is different. I'd follow Gary s advice and either start with where you were with less pressure and everything open. Or go one more and do the same to start. You need a benchmark to work up from

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
think i might try 3 spacers go from there. everything is open on the fork but it always felt way to firm for the small stuff. i’ll try less psi too

Remember .. it's not Rocket Science ...

It's a lot more complicated .. Rockets don't have rebound damping (well, maybe a space x one on landing) .. but, they generally don't .. they certainly don't have low speed damping .. and rockets don't have tokens either.

For some reason, it's often backwards to how you might first envisage it. So start from scratch with an open mind.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Quite agree. Had 2 sets of 18 rc2, one with a luftcappe. Great on flowing stuff, felt like a jackhammer in the rough. Maybe the latest ones are great, they say that each year though
I prefer my current lyriks and boxxers, am about the same weight as you.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Here's a wee link to give you some info https://bikerumor.com/2017/11/15/suspension-tech-high-speed-compression-damping-differ-low-speed/
My 160mm Yari has an E-bike sticker on the top crown, but it simply states to add +10psi for the e-bike. Also the Yari sliders (fork lowers), are beefier than the 160mm Lyrik on my Trek Remedy. Neither of my forks have high speed adjustment. I run the low speed open with no tokens in either fork. The Lyrik used to beat my hands to death over the small high, speed stuff until I had the cartridge modded by a local suspension wizard. My old Merida had a Suntour fork which did the same. I fitted an RC3 cartridge to it and then backed the high speed adj all the way open during multiple DH runs down the same track in Queenstown, which solved the problem for me.

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
just what i would get for a 2 ride old set. my previous cube had the 36’s so i have plenty if experience with them lol.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Start at 2. And add/remove to taste.
Dont be afraid to try to find the best set up for your own preference.
Bear in mind you're not necessarily going to be setting up your sag the same for each volume spacer configuration.
And bear in mind even a 2% difference in sag (+-5psi) can make a dramatic change in support/small bump sensitivity.
There's no right or wrong set-up as such (well there clearly are WRONG set-up choices, but hopefully you get what I mean.)

outsideline

Apr 10, 2020
Lancashire
had another ply with it last night, added the 2 spacers back in, adjusted rebound to how i like it ( made it a bit faster ) and now running ruffly 25% sag which equals 40mm from top of fork seal to bottom of sag ring. this is at 70 psi now and feels a lot softer on small stuff, but today will be a better test on the ride im doing. thanks

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
Well here's my 2 cents worth,arm pump is a result from the fork packing up not returning back quick enough for the next impact ,rebound too slow, the lyrik is E bike compatible.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
had another ply with it last night, added the 2 spacers back in, adjusted rebound to how i like it ( made it a bit faster ) and now running ruffly 25% sag which equals 40mm from top of fork seal to bottom of sag ring. this is at 70 psi now and feels a lot softer on small stuff, but today will be a better test on the ride im doing. thanks
Since we're replying to an old thread :)
How did you get on? I'm setting up my fork & wondering to add a token & drop pressure to get a sweet ride over the small bumps & not bottom out on the drops.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles