Levo SL Gen 1 Roval Control SL Team LTD on LEVO SL

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
I just bought a 2021 Levo SL Expert and I'm trying to get it as light as possible. I've already decided on switching to carbon wheels and I'm wondering if the Roval Control SL Team LTD will be rugged enough for intermediate trail riding by a 200lb rider? They're listed as XC wheels on the website so I'm not sure if they'll be robust enough for regular trail riding. These wheels are light and expensive so I want to make sure they'll handle both my weight and my 44-year-old weekend warrior dad bod riding style. I know it's probably overkill but I'm on a mission to make my new SL as close to a normal MTB as possible and I plan on riding it with my kids with no motor so the lighter the better. Will these rims hold up to my mild/medium riding style at 200lbs?

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I weigh a bit more and ride very aggressively and I went with the Traverse SL. Suprisingly I’ve already knocked them slightly out of true and round. I figure once I get them trued up they’ll be fine. I find most wheels need one true after they’ve been ridden a bit once this spokes settle a bit.

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
I weigh a bit more and ride very aggressively and I went with the Traverse SL. Suprisingly I’ve already knocked them slightly out of true and round. I figure once I get them trued up they’ll be fine. I find most wheels need one true after they’ve been ridden a bit once this spokes settle a bit.
I'm really looking to make my 2021 SL as light as possible and I don't do big drops or jumps on it. Do you think these wheels can handle average trail riding (XC with some small features/jumps) on a regular basis? I ride 3-4 time a week but it's usually XC style.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Have you considered getting a set of carbon wheel built by Light Bicycle they have a U.S factory and will custom build for you. This is usually a cheaper way and you get to have fun configuring your own rims, hubs, spokes etc

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
Have you considered getting a set of carbon wheel built by Light Bicycle they have a U.S factory and will custom build for you. This is usually a cheaper way and you get to have fun configuring your own rims, hubs, spokes etc

I'm just beginning my search and I'm primarily focused on getting the lightest set of wheels that will handle my riding style and weight (205lbs). The Roval Control SL Team LTD are around 1200g or so. I've yet to see anything that light so far. I'll check out Light Bicycle's offerings. I like the idea of custom wheels...especially if they're cheaper than the Rovals! Thanks for the tip!

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
I have the light bicycle wheels on my sl. My wheel set is 4.5 lbs lighter with xt cassette. The stock aluminum roval wheelset with nx cassette and butcher tires is very heavy

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
I have the light bicycle wheels on my sl. My wheel set is 4.5 lbs lighter with xt cassette. The stock aluminum roval wheelset with nx cassette and butcher tires is very heavy
Which wheels did you go with? Did you build custom and how much do they weigh? I'm very intrigued by these wheels. They seem to be good quality and definitely cheaper than most other brands out there.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I had a look last night to see how light I could get a 29er wheel set to be. You are a little more restricted on the U.S warehouse compared to the global Chinese factory, but you would save a lot on delivery and import costs.

i know they do 'flyweight' versions on some of the XC rims. A big part of the weight saving seems to be on the hub choice. DT Swiss 180 is the lightest... but pricey. Sapim CX Ray spokes and aluminium nipples will also keep weight down.

However, I don't think you are going to get near 1200g. Realistically with XC rims about 1400g. But that Is only going to cost about 800 to 900usd

I,ve got a wheel set on order in China At the moment
1E4DE385-433A-4071-B318-AC95D0219815.jpeg

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
the controls have 24 spokes vs the traverse 28, are 400 gs lighter and $ 1,150 more expensive. Not sure but i think the ultra light x country wheels might be asking for trouble on a fast heavy bike. I have the traverse and so far so good as well as a mid weight LB set on my other bike with only a broken spoke in 4 years

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
the controls have 24 spokes vs the traverse 28, are 400 gs lighter and $ 1,150 more expensive. Not sure but i think the ultra light x country wheels might be asking for trouble on a fast heavy bike. I have the traverse and so far so good as well as a mid weight LB set on my other bike with only a broken spoke in 4 years

yeah, the flyweight XC rims on LightBicycle have a pretty pathetic strength rating compared to most other rims on their site. probably looking at at least 26mm inner width.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Which wheels did you go with? Did you build custom and how much do they weigh? I'm very intrigued by these wheels. They seem to be good quality and definitely cheaper than most other brands out there.
I got the 25mm inner width with I9 1/1 hubs, 28 spoke front, 32 rear. Under 1500g with rim tape and valve. Rode for a week in North Carolina with lots of roots and rocks and speed and held up perfectly. I’m sold on them. $1200.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
I wouldnt trust 1200g wheels on anything off road myself at 185lbs.

its only money. If you try id like to hear how they hold up long term. My pov is likely jaded from breaking carbon hoops at enduro races and being salty about crappy results from broken parts.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I’m having such a hard time believing those numbers. What kind of tires did you put on it? I just went to a carbon traverse SL wheelset and that same cassette. The wheels and cassette were not that much lighter. You might be familiar with my build from other threads. It’s fairly extensive and the bike is at 38.6 lbs. I am running DHF/R with Exo/Exo+ respectively

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
I’m having such a hard time believing those numbers. What kind of tires did you put on it? I just went to a carbon traverse SL wheelset and that same cassette. The wheels and cassette were not that much lighter. You might be familiar with my build from other threads. It’s fairly extensive and the bike is at 38.6 lbs. I am running DHF/R with Exo/Exo+ respectively
Do you know the weight saving on the traverse SL wheels? I was under the impression they were fairly light compared to the aluminum

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Vittoria peyote 2.35

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Do you know the weight saving on the traverse SL wheels? I was under the impression they were fairly light compared to the aluminum
The wheels weighed in at 1740g. I haven’t pulled the cassette off the old wheels to weigh them. I was going to go LB wheels, but decided to go with the rovals since the LB wheels I wanted seemed to be about the same weight. I decided I was willing to throw down the extra $400 to have DT Swiss hubs and a brand I trusted. I know I could have bought DT Swiss through LB, but I just felt like I was going to get more support through specialized and the wheels have a lifetime warranty. I’ve broken a set of Enve AM 29s in the past, so I felt a bit more comfortable with the specialized set up. I weigh 210-220 depending on how much trash I’m eating and I ride hard, so I don’t necessarily go for the lightest wheels. All my upgrades have dropped the bike by 2.5 lbs, so I’m having a hard time believing a 1500 gram wheel set with the same cassette is 2 lbs lighter. Unless of course it’s got some featherweight tires on it.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

1735g for the 30mm inner width, on boost set... according to Spesh.. not sure about the OEM wheels

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I live in Texas and every trail is more sharp rock than dirt. I regularly set top 10s on DH segments with 1500-2000 riders on them.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
The wheels weighed in at 1740g. I haven’t pulled the cassette off the old wheels to weigh them. I was going to go LB wheels, but decided to go with the rovals since the LB wheels I wanted seemed to be about the same weight. I decided I was willing to throw down the extra $400 to have DT Swiss hubs and a brand I trusted. I know I could have bought DT Swiss through LB, but I just felt like I was going to get more support through specialized and the wheels have a lifetime warranty. I’ve broken a set of Enve AM 29s in the past, so I felt a bit more comfortable with the specialized set up. I weigh 210-220 depending on how much trash I’m eating and I ride hard, so I don’t necessarily go for the lightest wheels. All my upgrades have dropped the bike by 2.5 lbs, so I’m having a hard time believing a 1500 gram wheel set with the same cassette is 2 lbs lighter. Unless of course it’s got some featherweight tires on it.
My front wheel is 3lbs, 6oz, 1.61 kg. Rear wheel 4lbs, 12oz, 2.23 kg. Total 8lbs, 2 oz or 3.84 kg. The stock wheels are 12lb 12oz.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

I assume the loss of weight takes into account more factors such as tubeless, tamer tyres, and cassette.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I assume the loss of weight takes into account more factors such as tubeless, tamer tyres, and cassette.
For sure. Manitouc responded and the tires are the difference. I’m gonna assume anyone with a $10k + bike is running tubeless. Cassette is the same on my as his, but the tire set up (tyres for all the brits here) he’s running is 1000g lighter. That +250g in wheel weight and I think we’re all on the same page.

I’ve already managed to knock my rear wheel out of round, so I’m guessing the 1200g wheelset discussed here would be in multiple pieces by now if I had them.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
For sure. Manitouc responded and the tires are the difference. I’m gonna assume anyone with a $10k + bike is running tubeless. Cassette is the same on my as his, but the tire set up (tyres for all the brits here) he’s running is 1000g lighter. That +250g in wheel weight and I think we’re all on the same page.

I’ve already managed to knock my rear wheel out of round, so I’m guessing the 1200g wheelset discussed here would be in multiple pieces by now if I had them.
I spent a week bashing down the Appalachian mountains in north Carolina with these wheels and tires, including a day at a bike park. Rocks, roots, stumps, drops and everything else you can think of. They worked very well.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
Check out E Thirteen. I've been running a pair of the XCXr, 1365 gr. I've got a Comp Carbon and they took off over 2 lbs. They've got a butt load of different wheels and I see them on sale all the time. 1200 gr is road bike light, I'd be concerned at 200lbs. Making it light to ride with the kids is cool. But you don't want to compromise your handling out on the trail.

Portland 29er

Aug 22, 2019
USA
E Thirteen sent me both Shimano Micro Spline and Sram XD cassette bodies. I don't know if they do that for every wheelset.
Looking into these now. A friend of mine runs a pair of E Thirteens on his bike and loves them. I didn’t realize how reasonably they were priced. Very intriguing

Lithium21

Jun 6, 2022
New York, USA
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m looking for a carbon wheel set that will fit the width of the rear spacing on my 2021 Levo SL carbon comp. (Is the wheel set not an issue, just tire width?). The bike came with the traverse aluminum inner width 30mm. They have been solid for the 20 rides I’ve done. But I wanted to try wider tires (at least in the front) than the Butcher 2.3. And get a stiffer wheel set that can support a wider tire. This is my first Ebike and I LOVE it. I’m on the lighter side 168 pounds. I’m used to (and have been spoiled by :) carbon wheels, I’ve got Ibis carbon wheels with i9 hubs - S28’s on an ibis Ripley (25 lbs with Maxis recons) and ibis S35’s on my Ibis Ripmo 29.5 lbs w/ a 2.6 Maxxis Disector front and 2.4 rear. I thought I read that there are width limits on tire size in the rear with the levo SL? My question is can you put a 2.5 or 2.6 tire on the front with a wider carbon wheel (ibis S35’s -internal width) with a 2.4 in the rear with that same carbon wheel set width? I’m open to other wheel sets I may forgo the i9 hub versions to save $$ they are in the $1300 range. Also been shredding weight off the bike too put an AXS xx1 deraillleur on it, Enve M7 carbon bars and alloy stem, XX1 chain and cassette. I ride pretty aggressive but i’m not doing big drops or jumps. Any input would be greatly appreciated from this awesome community here! Best, Neil

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles