Routing Shimano controller cable on carbon bar?

P00KIENRAYRAY

Nov 23, 2020
California
Hey, so I'm purchased a used carbon bar from a buddy of mine to replace the alloy one on my Canyon Spectral On. Mainly to color match my ebike and to give a more customized look. I'm not expecting any performance or weight advantages.

This is my first bike with Shimano system. The stock bar has 2 holes for the controller cable to go into the bar, then out of the bar at the stem, which then connects to the display. Clean and out of the way.

Definitely not gonna drill into the carbon bar...but I'm trying to think of ways to mount the controller and the display onto the carbon bar, and routing the cable in the cleanest and tidiest way possible. Just use electrical tape or zip ties? I currently have the controller mounted in between the left grip and left brake lever, but suppose I can move it in more towards the stem since the brake and dropper remote clamps will be in the way.

Any ideas would help, thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's fairly easy to route the wiring through a Di2 bar but you do need the correct length Shimano wires because of the way the wiring has to double back on itself
if using a display I wouldn't bother. it makes much mose sense to do it with the bluetooth EN-EW100 junction control box

P00KIENRAYRAY

Nov 23, 2020
California
it's fairly easy to route the wiring through a Di2 bar but you do need the correct length Shimano wires because of the way the wiring has to double back on itself
if using a display I wouldn't bother. it makes much mose sense to do it with the bluetooth EN-EW100 junction control box
I'm not familiar with the bluetooth junction box. Gotta look into it. And yea, my stock bar is Di2 compatible apparently. It has the holes for access as well as the bottom grooves on the ends for the cable to sit.

P00KIENRAYRAY

Nov 23, 2020
California
So what I'm understanding about the EN-EW100, it just bypasses the display, and goes straight into the controller/e shifter?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. But also allows mobile connectivity, mode change and an LED light that shows mode/errors/battery warning.
So you also have the option of doing away with a mode controller all together.
Ideally you want the EN EW100 mounted externally onto another cabke/hose but it could be mounted internally if you were after as clean a look as possible

Last edited:

P00KIENRAYRAY

Nov 23, 2020
California
Yes. But also allows mobile connectivity, mode change and an LED light that shows mode/errors/battery warning.
Ah ok. Interesting. I don't care for the display, and decluttering my cockpit is ideal. Only websites I see selling em are in Europe. I'm gonna give Shimano USA a call to see if they're avail stateside.

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
Ah ok. Interesting. I don't care for the display, and decluttering my cockpit is ideal. Only websites I see selling em are in Europe. I'm gonna give Shimano USA a call to see if they're avail stateside.
Did you get all this figured out and now have a clean cockpit? I have a EN EW100 available and also wanted to see if you still and your stock Di2 compatible handlebars as Im in search of one for my bike. Let me know and happy riding!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles