Rockshox or Lyrics?

LeightonD

Aug 4, 2019
South Wales
Help me decide, kind e-people.
Current steed is the Lapierre Overvolt 600 running a Rockshox Revelation Rc Motion 150 Travel. I'm looking for something with a bit more plushness and bounce factor. I ride mostly at or around Afan, with occasional trips to BPW and Cwmcarn. I'll probably take the bike to Morzine this year too ( taken my Nukeproof Mega the last two years )
I've narrowed down my choices to either the Fox 36 or Lyric, both running 160. What are the pro's and cons of each? What's your experience?Thanks

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If you can’t make your Rev’s plush, you are tuning them wrong. Therefore new Lyric’s will suck too.
Rockshox forks are much more plush than Fox’s.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Lyrik's seems to come ahead of fox 36's purely down to price point, neither are going to be terrible forks & as above your Rev's can be upgraded/tuned to be nearly as good..

LeightonD

Aug 4, 2019
South Wales
So I’ve just been offered a set of 170 lyrics for a great price - will going from 150 to 170 affect the ride negatively in terms of geometry ect ?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
On some models You may adjust the travel of the lyrics by adding or removing spacers, its easy and inexpensive. I prefer the 150 mm travel on the ebike because it makes the climbs much more fun.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
So I’ve just been offered a set of 170 lyrics for a great price - will going from 150 to 170 affect the ride negatively in terms of geometry ect ?

It'll lift your front end/BB, which will probably be the 'worst' affect, and slacken your head angle by about a degree, which you may enjoy. Try it? If you don't like it, as per B1rdie, you can adjust it back by replacing the air (debonair) spring for around £30-40, this can be done at home if your not too cack handed.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I know the feeling, but most jobs on a bike can be done with a little thought and patience. Youtube is full of guides, to show you how to..
Or adjust my aprox cost to include an hour of workshop time ontop.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I’m very much a ‘ I’ll pay someone to do that for me ‘ person ??

You can pay me. it's £55 for the lower service and £40 for the new air spring.
Charger 2.1 damper is £350 and Seals £25 but you'd need a full service @£85 instead of the lower service.
You don't need Decals (But those can be ordered aswell)

I'd buy that bargain Lyrik If I were you and punt o your Revs ;)
Over the Pike the beefier chassis is a little stiffer on a heavy E bike

The Lyrik is far easier for a noob to set up well than a 36.
Being honest there's not a lot in it between the performance of the two (if both set up well)
36 is also slighly more of a PITA to service if you don't know what you're doing.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
On some models You may adjust the travel of the lyrics by adding or removing spacers
Nah... Lyriks don't use an all travel spacer sysyem. To change travel they require a new air spring assembly of suitable length to be fitted

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Nah... Lyriks don't use an all travel spacer sysyem. To change travel they require a new air spring assembly of suitable length to be fitted
Guess you’re right! and will not check this information.
But rockshox used to be adjustable on some models, the one on my Spectral is doing good at 150 mm and I would not bother trying to have more travel at all.
As I write I remembered! To change travel on the shocks that came on my bike I’d have to change the airspring. It comes with some tokens to change the volume now, that is!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
FlatAggressiveElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Tatty_dubs

Jul 16, 2019
West midlands
I've got a set of Revelations on my focus jam2, anyone know which damper is needed to upgrade them to a pike? theyre 150mm 29er boost. I can only find the charger that goes upto 2018? im guessing the 2019 is the same?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Enter your fork serial number into TrailHead app and it will show you part numbers for all available upgrades ...

LeightonD

Aug 4, 2019
South Wales
So I put a set of 170 Lyrik’s on last week- first outing was Bike park Wales - Incredible - so much plusher , smoother and confidence inspiring - hit lines I’d not done before and loved it - can’t want to get back out now !!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles