Rise with 160mm Fork and Shock Offset Hardware

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
I have a medium M10 with 160mm Grip2 fork and OEM 140mm Float X shock. Keeping full 29er.

Has anyone added offset hardware to the shock (reduced eye-to-eye) to lower bottom bracket and slacken the bike?

Would the bottom bracket be too low?

Any clearance issues?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
If you're going to do that (I wouldn't, but I ride a lot of rocks and roots), you should consider shorter crankarms as well.

Also, you've already somewhat slackened the bike already with the taller fork. If you really want a slacked out enduro-style geometry, maybe the Rise isn't the ideal starting point.

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
If you're going to do that (I wouldn't, but I ride a lot of rocks and roots), you should consider shorter crankarms as well.

Also, you've already somewhat slackened the bike already with the taller fork. If you really want a slacked out enduro-style geometry, maybe the Rise isn't the ideal starting point.
I agree the bike was slackened -0.5* with the 160mm fork but also raised the BB. Albeit not by much. I would just like to get the cornering where I want. The front end feels too tall. I've already lowered the stem. Possibly should go back to the 150mm fork or a lower rise (15mm) bar.

Planning on a 160mm crank arms no matter the scenario. I ride NJ Rock Garden state.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I agree the bike was slackened -0.5* with the 160mm fork but also raised the BB. Albeit not by much. I would just like to get the cornering where I want. The front end feels too tall. I've already lowered the stem. Possibly should go back to the 150mm fork or lower rise (15mm) bar.

While not suggesting you do this, you could also go with a mullet setup...

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
Installed offset hardware. I was going to install one end, specifically the rear offset hardware. But I found out that there is not enough space between the Float X shock and the Rise's shock extender. So I ended up installing the offset hardware for the front. It probably works just fine with the Fox DPX2 rear.

52389862462_06b1fc92f7_c.jpg

52389862467_53664c6fdc_c.jpg

52390785346_0e81e7bba1_c.jpg

(sorry bad photo) This is with the OEM hardware. The gap between the shock extender (black piece that looks like a turkey wish bone) and the end of the shock stanchion doesn't not provide enough space. The offset hardware will close that gap and make it impossible to line up the bolt, as the stanchion is butting up right to the shock extender.

1664484793148.png

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Did you notice much difference with the single offset bushing?

I've got 160mm up front and shorter cranks so wondering if the offset is worth the hassle. I cant imagine it changes the geo much.

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
Did you notice much difference with the single offset bushing?

I've got 160mm up front and shorter cranks so wondering if the offset is worth the hassle. I cant imagine it changes the geo much.
I would say no. I did make a few changes while installing the single offset bushing, so I can't say for sure. But I highly doubt a change in 0.5* is noticeable, to me at least. It's more of a tool to get your overall geometry to where you want it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles