Rise OEM dropper rotating

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Hi everyone,
my dropper has started to have problems rotating when putting pressure on it with my legs while riding. Does anyone have a clue how to service these droppers and what parts could be allowing this rotation? Overall happy with the dropper so if it can be fixed I'd rather keep it. It's about 8 month old so not sure if this would be covered by warranty?
cheers

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Is it rotating at the clamp? If so you can use some of this stuff.

F5F0219D-ECBA-49F9-A7C3-FBAD68E86C6B.jpeg

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hi everyone,
my dropper has started to have problems rotating when putting pressure on it with my legs while riding. Does anyone have a clue how to service these droppers and what parts could be allowing this rotation? Overall happy with the dropper so if it can be fixed I'd rather keep it. It's about 8 month old so not sure if this would be covered by warranty?
cheers
Cookie,

The Rise OC2 dropper post has plastic keyways that prevent the seat post from rotating side to side. I'm guessing that your post's plastic keyways are wearing out. Orbea sells a service kit for the dropper, it's $73, ouch......

I replaced my OC2 dropper with a OneUp dropper shortly after I got my Rise. My OC2 dropper is in very good condition. You are welcome to it free of charge, just pay shipping. I'm guessing shipping to Australia won't be cheap, probably more than the dropper. It's yours if you want it. Shoot me a message with your address and we'll work it out.

Here's a YouTube video on performing a service on the Orbea OC2 dropper:

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Hi Rod, thanks for the generous offer. I've contacted the shop and they are going to look at it. hopefully under warranty to repair it!
Sounds like the plastic keyways are the culprit!
Am I correct in assuming motor must be dropped to remove/replace the dropper?

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hi Rod, thanks for the generous offer. I've contacted the shop and they are going to look at it. hopefully under warranty to repair it!
Sounds like the plastic keyways are the culprit!
Am I correct in assuming motor must be dropped to remove/replace the dropper?
Cookie,

You can easily replace the dropper without lowering the motor. However, you have to be really really careful with handling the dropper post cable and housing.

As you know, to remove a dropper post from a bike, you have to bring it up far enough out of the seat post tube to disconnect the cable/housing. This usually means you have to disconnect the dropper cable from the handlebar dropper lever. You then feed the dropper cable/housing through the headtube to order to gain enough slack to fully remove the dropper post from the seat post tube.

Here's the catch.....The Orbea OC2 dropper post does not have a cable retainer at the base of the dropper post where the cable attaches to the actuating lever. In other words, there is nothing to prevent the cable/housing from disconnecting from the base of the dropper.

If you disconnect the cable at the dropper lever, you must keep maximum tension on the handlebar end of the cable with your fingers. The tension will keep the dropper cable and housing firmly attached to the base of the dropper at the actuating lever. If any slack develops in the dropper cable, the cable will disconnect from the dropper. As you pull the dropper post out, the housing and cable will remain deep down inside the seat post tube. If this happens, you'll then have to drop the motor and push the cable back up and out of the seat post tube so you reconnect the cable to the dropper.

You can also disconnect the dropper lever itself from the handlebar. You then pull out the dropper post, while feeding the dropper housing through the head tube. Once the dropper post and dropper post housing have been brought up high enough above the seat post tube, then disconnect the cable from the dropper lever.

Note: This same procedure applies during reinsertion of the rebuilt dropper post. You have to keep tension on the cable. Ask me how I know....

I hope this all makes sense. It's easy to do, just keep tension on the cable either with your fingers or using the dropper post lever itself.

Be safe,
Rod

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles