Rise Loose Back End-Bearings Issue

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I have had my Rise M10 since the end of February and have clocked up 2,617km and over 90,000m of climbing. After about 6 months I noticed the back end was loose i.e. if I held the seat post there was quite a bit of lateral movement on the back wheel. I took it to my dealer and they changed the main pivot bearings and all was good for 2 months then the play crept in again so they replaced the main pivot bearings again and a couple of others. After few more months same thing so I ordered all the bearings and last week they changed them all out. Back end felt solid but after just 4 hours riding it has slop again. There is nothing wrong with the rear hub on the RF Turbine R wheel.
My non e-bike is a Canyon Spectral and the back end is rock solid on it, 3yrs old and never needed a bearing.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am getting fed up with it as it seems like a design flaw maybe?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Looking at my Strava I'm on 1600km since May. No trouble with bearings yet but I've had the rear axle come loose a few times (probably my main complaint with the bike)

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
Just an update. As my LBS is shut on Mondays I just went over the bike myself and undid/re-torqued/thread locked the suspension parts. Nothing seemed loose and made no difference until I came to the last bolt (Sods law!). The main pivot expander bolt (as per attached picture) was very loose. Its a small M5 x 20mm bolt (water bottle bolt) and took about 10 turns to tighten up. Sure enough the play has gone. It says in the Blue paper to torque to 5Nm and grease. Its is very awkward to reach as the rear brake cable and speed sensor cable run past it so I could not measure the torque but gave it a good tweak but rounded it slightly. I am surprised this bolt does not need Locktite? Now that I have rounded it I would like to change it out. Does anyone know if there is any danger in doing this? I am guessing the little washer will come out with the bolt? I would like to put a fresh one in and Loctite it. Seem reasonable? Thanks for any advice.

Rise.PNG

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
Another update. I went past my dealer yesterday to discuss. He is well versed in the Occam suspension design which is virtually identical and said I must have just got lucky tightening the expander bolt 7.1 as it doesn't really do anything for tightening but he thinks when I tightened it, it turned the expander cone 7.3 which in turn turned the main pivot 7.4 which tightened up the slop. This makes sense now. So the fix we have done is remove 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 and re-torque 7.4. We then re-installed 7.3, 7.2 and used medium loctite on 7.1. He agrees no reason not to have some medium loctite on it. Hope this helps anyone who gets a loose rear end.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
. Hope this helps anyone who gets a loose rear end.

I ate some sketchy Mexican food yesterday and my rear end is a little loose today. I'm not sure I want to tighten it with a wrench though and I'm quite certain I don't want to apply any loctite.

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I ate some sketchy Mexican food yesterday and my rear end is a little loose today. I'm not sure I want to tighten it with a wrench though and I'm quite certain I don't want to apply any loctite.
😂 Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

• Wow
Reactions: jka

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Another update. I went past my dealer yesterday to discuss. He is well versed in the Occam suspension design which is virtually identical and said I must have just got lucky tightening the expander bolt 7.1 as it doesn't really do anything for tightening but he thinks when I tightened it, it turned the expander cone 7.3 which in turn turned the main pivot 7.4 which tightened up the slop. This makes sense now. So the fix we have done is remove 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 and re-torque 7.4. We then re-installed 7.3, 7.2 and used medium loctite on 7.1. He agrees no reason not to have some medium loctite on it. Hope this helps anyone who gets a loose rear end.

How did you manage with the cabling in the way of that bolt? Is it easy enough to move out of the way, any tips? Cheers

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
How did you manage with the cabling in the way of that bolt? Is it easy enough to move out of the way, any tips? Cheers
The cabling is a pain but it’s pretty robust. I just made sure there was a bit of spare speed sensor cable at each end so that if I pulled the housing it wouldn’t get damaged as it’s thin. The housing itself is pretty tough and so is the brake cable so you can bend it out of the way enough to get Allen keys into it. Just don’t be too shy. It really is a stupid design though.

happylenny

Jun 15, 2021
Dallas
I have had my Rise M10 since the end of February and have clocked up 2,617km and over 90,000m of climbing. After about 6 months I noticed the back end was loose i.e. if I held the seat post there was quite a bit of lateral movement on the back wheel. I took it to my dealer and they changed the main pivot bearings and all was good for 2 months then the play crept in again so they replaced the main pivot bearings again and a couple of others. After few more months same thing so I ordered all the bearings and last week they changed them all out. Back end felt solid but after just 4 hours riding it has slop again. There is nothing wrong with the rear hub on the RF Turbine R wheel.
My non e-bike is a Canyon Spectral and the back end is rock solid on it, 3yrs old and never needed a bearing.
Has anyone else had this issue? I am getting fed up with it as it seems like a design flaw maybe?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles