Rise for Clydes?

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Other than @BiGJZ74, who of you Rise owners out there are 250lbs+ riders? I'd love to hear from you if you feel the 60Nm EP8RS is up to task for you on steep punchy climbs. Especially if you have FF motor experience. I'm not worried about range and I'm typically carrying around 25-30% extra battery capacity for nothing (in my riding use-case).

I got a Rise for my wife and we both love it. The torque to weight ratio is amazing. However, the 35Nm Kenevo SL I rode at Moab wasn't nearly enough for me, even in std. Boost. 50% assist was too much to give up on the punchy slickrock climbs.

I'm every oz. of 270 lbs kitted up for riding and I ride a YT Decoy 70 Nm typically in "Low-Trail" if I'm solo on flowy trails, maybe "Mid-Trail/mid-Boost" if I'm on very rocky tech sections.

I'm guessing that 15% less assist on the EP8RS will be far less noticeable, and easily adjusted in the app to feel very close to the 70Nm on my Decoy as I'm typically leaving a lot of assist un-utilized on the Decoy ( I never have Boost set to 'high').

@BiGJZ74 - Do you have both the Rise and a FF? Are you happy as a clam w/ the Rise?

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
I ride a Rise at 230lbs without gear and the Rise has been powerful enough for me using the eco and trail settings. I rarely ever use the turbo setting. For comparison, I also have a Specialized Turbo Levo with far more torque so I can say for me, the Rise is fine for the terrain I ride here in Southern California (rocky, climbs of 2400-3500 feet). I purchased the Rise to reduce e-bike weight and for the smaller motor profile. Must always be wary of forest rangers who consider e-MTBs as motorized vehicles not allowed on trails in National Forests.

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Other than @BiGJZ74, who of you Rise owners out there are 250lbs+ riders? I'd love to hear from you if you feel the 60Nm EP8RS is up to task for you on steep punchy climbs. Especially if you have FF motor experience. I'm not worried about range and I'm typically carrying around 25-30% extra battery capacity for nothing (in my riding use-case).

I got a Rise for my wife and we both love it. The torque to weight ratio is amazing. However, the 35Nm Kenevo SL I rode at Moab wasn't nearly enough for me, even in std. Boost. 50% assist was too much to give up on the punchy slickrock climbs.

I'm every oz. of 270 lbs kitted up for riding and I ride a YT Decoy 70 Nm typically in "Low-Trail" if I'm solo on flowy trails, maybe "Mid-Trail/mid-Boost" if I'm on very rocky tech sections.

I'm guessing that 15% less assist on the EP8RS will be far less noticeable, and easily adjusted in the app to feel very close to the 70Nm on my Decoy as I'm typically leaving a lot of assist un-utilized on the Decoy ( I never have Boost set to 'high').

@BiGJZ74 - Do you have both the Rise and a FF? Are you happy as a clam w/ the Rise?
I have a Trek Rail and my Rise, I prefer the Rise, but I only rode the Rail in ECO/eMTB lite. I don't really use Boost unless I'm descending Strangely enough....helps me keep speed better on undulating terrain. Climbing I like to still do work which on the Rail was a lot less even in eMTB lite. EMTB/Turbo was too much power for my liking. I love the Rise. There is nothing I can't climb on my Rise, but as a Super Clyde, If its insanely steep I'm only climbing at 3-5mph in the granny gear....where lighter riders could go twice as fast. I pretty much only ride my Rise unless I'm riding Solo when I'll usually ride my regular bikes (Rallon. Spur) just to grind more. I ride eMTB so I can ride with groups and keep pace with faster climbers.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I have a Trek Rail and my Rise, I prefer the Rise, but I only rode the Rail in ECO/eMTB lite. I don't really use Boost unless I'm descending Strangely enough....helps me keep speed better on undulating terrain. Climbing I like to still do work which on the Rail was a lot less even in eMTB lite. EMTB/Turbo was too much power for my liking. I love the Rise. There is nothing I can't climb on my Rise, but as a Super Clyde, If its insanely steep I'm only climbing at 3-5mph in the granny gear....where lighter riders could go twice as fast. I pretty much only ride my Rise unless I'm riding Solo when I'll usually ride my regular bikes (Rallon. Spur) just to grind more. I ride eMTB so I can ride with groups and keep pace with faster climbers.

@BiGJZ74 - I appreciate your chiming in since I started this thread with you in mind specifically. :) I'm noticing that you replaced both ends of your Rise's suspension. In particular, I'm curious if you tried working with the Fox Float X, or if you immediately went over to the DHX2 coil? I was personally unable to get my DPX2 tuned satisfactorily off-shelf when sag was set properly for my kitted weight, it was just way too harsh and lost all suppleness. I'm now running an Avalanche-tuned BomberCR with 650lb-in RS coil and it's great. I'd heard the Float X is more robust and supple than DPX2, but did you have a similar experience with the Float X or did you just ditch it on arrival for coil?

If I do buy a Rise, I'd imagine I'll need a coil on it as well due to my weight. What's your spring rate#? Is your DHX2 custom-tuned for damping or do you find stock damping is capable of dealing with higher spring rates? Did you consider any other shock alternatives (ohlins, push, ext) and if so, why did you choose Fox?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
@BiGJZ74 - I appreciate your chiming in since I started this thread with you in mind specifically. :) I'm noticing that you replaced both ends of your Rise's suspension. In particular, I'm curious if you tried working with the Fox Float X, or if you immediately went over to the DHX2 coil? I was personally unable to get my DPX2 tuned satisfactorily off-shelf when sag was set properly for my kitted weight, it was just way too harsh and lost all suppleness. I'm now running an Avalanche-tuned BomberCR with 650lb-in RS coil and it's great. I'd heard the Float X is more robust and supple than DPX2, but did you have a similar experience with the Float X or did you just ditch it on arrival for coil?

If I do buy a Rise, I'd imagine I'll need a coil on it as well due to my weight. What's your spring rate#? Is your DHX2 custom-tuned for damping or do you find stock damping is capable of dealing with higher spring rates? Did you consider any other shock alternatives (ohlins, push, ext) and if so, why did you choose Fox?
I actually love the Float X as a shock and if it came in Standard sizes to long stroke I would have got one in 216x63 but it is only in metric sizes. I Run a float X on my Transition Spur and Rallon (which I also have a dhx2 that I swap between). Float X is a great Clyde shock. I’ve ran DHX2’s for a while now. Never had an issue with them, and have 700lb springs….which I run. Tune on the DHX2 is just the stock aftermarket tune which is fine. I also Just threw my Trust Shout linkage fork on my Rise, which has insane through rocks and tech.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I actually love the Float X as a shock .... I’ve ran DHX2’s for a while now.

I was at 330psi on my DPX2 at proper sag. Just wasn't very planted over chatter at all, even w/ compression damping nearly wide open, which led me to move to coil.

You say you love the Float X and run the DHX2 on several bikes? What psi are you running on Float X to get 25-30% sag? Do you prefer one over the other on the Rise? (seems like DHX2 is what you're currently running).

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I was at 330psi on my DPX2 at proper sag. Just wasn't very planted over chatter at all, even w/ compression damping nearly wide open, which led me to move to coil.

You say you love the Float X and run the DHX2 on several bikes? What psi are you running on Float X to get 25-30% sag? Do you prefer one over the other on the Rise? (seems like DHX2 is what you're currently running).
The only reason I'm running the DHX2 is that I'm running the rear with 160mm of travel and the Trust fork is 178mm up front. Although Float X feels great, I didn't want to run a 30+mm difference in travel front to back as I ride really Rocky terrain. Float X runs at much lower pressures compared to the DPX2...on avg 40psi less. I plan on running a Float X on my Deviate Claymore that I just ordered when it arrives.

scourge

Oct 11, 2022
St. Louis, MO USA
Just found this thread. I'm a clyde at 255lbs before getting kitted up. The Rise looks amazing but I thought I may be too heavy for it. Is it a possible option?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles