Right to Roam - UK

citydreams

Jul 20, 2020
Brixton
Do you know the difference between a footpath and a bridleway?

Sorry to get all political on you, but thought this is worth sharing

The Government's manifesto stated “we will make intentional trespass a criminal offence”: an extreme, illiberal & unnecessary attack on ancient freedoms that would threaten walkers, campers, and the wider public. It would further tilt the law in favour of the landowning 1% who own half the country.

There's a petition here, that's now at 125k signatures.

And more campaign info here from the Right to Roam org.

Bridleways have been around for a very long time, and certainly before bikes were even dreamed of. There's a clue in the name... Both 'bridle' and 'way' come from Old English (Anglo-Saxon) words briedel and weg: weg is still the German name for way. And many of the routes we call bridleways today are far older than than even that might imply - some are prehistoric in origin. This long history is one reason we have such an extensive network of bridleways and other rights of way.

The right to walk or ride a horse on a bridleway is enshrined in common law, which effectively means it's very, very old. However, a clear legal definition of a bridleway, let along proper identification and mapping of them all, is much more recent and, in fact, isn't finished yet. The right to ride a bicycle on a bridleway is even more recent.

It's a tortuous tale enshrined in a series of Acts of Parliament dating back 200 years. Arguably the most important of all is the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949, one of the sweeping reforms introduced by the great post-war Labour government. Quite apart from the creation of National Parks, the Act brought in a system for comprehensive recording of rights of way, which led to the creation of definitive maps. It's hardly surprising that this took some time. In case you're wondering, North Bedfordshire holds the sorry distinction of being the slowest, taking 33 years to produce its definitive map.

What the 1949 Act didn't do was change the basic definition of a bridleway - and that meant that there was no right to ride a bicycle on one. Cyclists has to wait for section 30 of the Countryside Act in 1968: "Any member of the public shall have, as a right of way, the right to ride a bicycle, not being a mechanically propelled vehicle, on any bridleway, but in exercising that right cyclists shall give way to pedestrians and persons on horseback." the Cyclists' Touring club (CTC) apparently deserves the credit for the inclusion of this measure.

As the process of recording and mapping rights of way progressed - slowly and imperfectly - it became possible for the first time to quantify the size of the network. England has about 91000 miles of footpath, 20000 miles of bridleway, 3700 miles of restricted bridleway and 2300 miles of byways open to all traffic - all of which are fair game for mountain bikers. Footpaths therefore form about 78% of the Right of Way network, with only the remaining 22% open to bikes (and horses).

The total Right of Way network in Wales is about 20500 miles. Scotland's law is different, and not just since the passage of The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 and subsequent introduction of the Scottish Access Code. Even before this there was not distinction between footpath and bridleway and it was generally presumed that cyclists and horse-riders were entitled to follow any right of way - but rights of way as such were relatively thin on the ground (less that half the total mileage of Wales) as there was no obligation to record them - an no definitive map process

Northern Ireland is the region of the UK with the worst position of rights of way. Even for walkers, access is much more limited than the rest of the country, as far fewer Right of Ways were identified. Worse, as the Countryside Act 1968 did not apply to NI, bridleways here are strictly speaking only open to walkers and horse-riders.

Let's back up a little. The definitive map process is intended to record the rights of way which exist, but how are they established?

One way to establish a Right of Way is if a landowner dedicates it as such. In practice, this rarely happens. Instead, most Rights of Way are established by the 'inference of dedication'. In another quirk of British law, use originally had to be demonstrated as far back as 1189 for the inference of dedication to apply. Yes, you read that right. 1189.

Luckily this isn't the case any more. Today, the basic test for the establishment of a right of way is that it has been used by the public 'as of right' for a period of 20 years or longer. However, it's more complicated than that and normally if a landowner has in any way indicated an unwillingness to allow the public to use a route, the test fails.

So, if you and your mates have been using a 'cheeky trail' for 20 years without being warned off, have never passed notices saying 'no bikes', and haven't had to negotiate sites of locked gates, then there's a good chance it could become a permanent right of way.

Clearly it's much better to have an organisation behind you. Compared to the excellent work that the Ramblers do for walkers, mountain bikers are less well provided for; with IMBA UK currently dormant and British Cycling showing little or no interest in recreational mountain biking, the most likely port of call at a national level is the CTC.

It may be true that a bridleway, or any highway is a right rather than a thing. But the ways that we actually ride are things too, and some of them are very ancient things. This may be where we in England are actually better off than some of those countries where the right of access is universal. The gold standard is set by the Nordic countries, and perhaps also Estonia, with Scotland a recent addition to the elite. The right of access is so strongly embedded here that in Sweden, for example, restrictions hae been placed on the building of new homes near shorelines specifically to protect the right of public access to it.

The existence of a bridleway impies historic usage on horseback, which means there's a reasonable chance it will at least be passable by bike. It also means that these routes have history. I can't be the only one whose enjoyment of a route has been heightened by the traces, or just mental picture, of those who have gone before - in some cases, not just for centuries but for millennia.

We've already seen how complicated the process of establishing aright of way can be, and how long the process of creating a definitive map could take. Sadly, the process has been not just slow but incomplete. Many routes in historic and often in current use have not been recorded, or have been recorded as a lower category than they really merit.

The Countryside and Rights Way Act 2000 (CROW) attempted to address this problem by creating a mechanism to unearth these 'lost ways' and also by setting a deadline for this to be completed. The problem is, the mechanism has lapsed but the deadline hasn't. The Act stipulates that footpaths and bridleways that were in existence on 1st January 1949 but not recorded on the definitive map by 1st January 2026 will be extinguished. Unrecorded higher rights that may apply to a definitive footpath, bridleway or restricted byway will also be extinguished.

Shortly after the passage of CROW in 2000, funding was promised both to voluntary groups and to local authorities under a project called Discovering Lost Ways (DLW). In 2002 the Countryside Agency estimated that there some 20,000 unrecorded rights of way - totalling 10,000 miles - in England including 2,500 miles of bridleways and 1,700 miles of byways. If these were all defined and available, there would be a 12% increase in bridleways and a 28% increase in byways.

As for DLW, nothing really happened other an an exploratory study followed by a plan to outsource the work to a commercial company, This achieved little other than to stall any work that voluntary groups or local authorities could have done - and in 2008 DLW was officially abandoned. By some estimates £8 million had been spent without any Rights of Ways being added to the definitive maps, other than in a few areas covered by pilot schemes, but meanwhile the 2026 deadline had moved ominously closer.

The British Rights of Way network is a mess of old legislation, botched attempts at map-making and misunderstandings on the ground. But here's the thing. Mountain bikers can help steer the process in the right direction by engaging positively with other user groups(or 'stakeholders', to use the jargon). - specifically walkers and horse riders - both by being friendly and considerate on the trails and by joining forces in advocacy and activism. It may not be sexy, but fighting for our right to ride on centuries-old trails could be the only way of keeping some of those ancient routes alive

citydreams

Jul 20, 2020
Brixton
True, but I can't see the Police having the bandwidth to arrest Mountain Bikers on a footpath!

That's a bit fatuous. You could say we never really needed rambler rights either.

I'm guessing you've never had a farmer aim a shotgun at you whilst shouting 'Get off my land'?

Often where we cycle, especially in your case in the Surrey Hills, we don't have any real right to be there. Are you happy with that? Are you fine to let what rights we do have be removed?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That's a bit fatuous. You could say we never really needed rambler rights either.

I think you are being unfair there. I also doubt that the police will be doing roadblocks on bridleways. However, those officious twats - Community Support Officers? (I left Britain a good while ago but have crossed swords with these ignorant bullies on the odd trip back to the benighted isle) - will be out getting their commissions from your penalties, as well as the local councils using it as a nice little revenue earner to make up for their cuts in funding.

You guys really, truly, honestly need a written constitution so you can hold some of these jerks feet to the fire.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I'm guessing you've never had a farmer aim a shotgun at you whilst shouting 'Get off my land'?

Often where we cycle, especially in your case in the Surrey Hills, we don't have any real right to be there. Are you happy with that? Are you fine to let what rights we do have be removed?

I have actually! My Dad has a Rifle and Shotgun licence so I know exactly the law about pointing or threatening someone with said weapon. I also used to have a shotgun licence so that doesn't scare me. They would be committing a very serious criminal offence.

I also know the pain of having travellers on your land, we had it in Shropshire. The only way to get them off was to warn them we would be mucking the field via aircraft using a finely chopped slurry that literally got into every crevice and nook and cranny in their caravans.

I am all for keeping what we have, I'll even campaign for it. But I don't think we are the intended target, and even if we were, it would be largely unenforceable.

I'm sure if the right to roam in the Surrey Hills was threatened the highly influential horse brigade would be up in arms and lobbying hard! Not to mention the many businesses in the area that rely on MTB & Horses.

Last edited:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I think you are being unfair there. I also doubt that the police will be doing roadblocks on bridleways. However, those officious twats - Community Support Officers? (I left Britain a good while ago but have crossed swords with these ignorant bullies on the odd trip back to the benighted isle) - will be out getting their commissions from your penalties, as well as the local councils using it as a nice little revenue earner to make up for their cuts in funding.

You guys really, truly, honestly need a written constitution so you can hold some of these jerks feet to the fire.

Oh yeh, the Mall Cops..! You can walk away from them.

If they put cameras in the forest then I think we are all doomed.

If this does get threatened there will be a huge public backlash, especially after COVID where we all realised just how important being able to go outside is..I personally think this is designed to have some power over travellers. I am sure it will get kicked around Parliament and House of Lords until it looks more like that.

Borris is a huge advocate of cycling, and now getting fit. Anything that threatens that and he'll look a bit of a hippocrite.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Eh...
18807f36e32d0d8f597850d390a8bc52.jpg

Whit?

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I've seen them try that at Clapham Junction..Perp just swore at them and wandered off.
Fair enough, but that's probably more down to the Plastic Cops in question than the law they work to.

I know, Wikipedia, but it accurately reflects the current position as far as their power to detain is concerned:
Under a mix of legislation and common law, a PCSO can use reasonable force to arrest or detain a suspected offender. PCSOs in theory can all use handcuffs to detain using their own detention powers or arrest using 'any person' powers when on duty. At present only three forces permit this and issue handcuffs.

The use of reasonable force is provided by s3 Criminal Law Act 1967, the Common Law and the Human Rights Act 1998. Reasonable force is further provided to PCSOs under Section 38(8) Police Reform Act 2002 when using a power which - in the same circumstances - would also be a power available to a Constable

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I am sure it will get kicked around Parliament and House of Lords until it looks more like that.

Ah yes... House of Lords. I'm still looking for a good description of how that institution is allowed to exist in a supposed democracy. (At the same time, I suppose you could explain how an hereditary monarch is the head of state - with powers which allow a prime minister to ignore parliament. How does this work? Ah, forgot, it's in your constitution. Shame I can't read it... ? )

Borris is a huge advocate of cycling, and now getting fit. Anything that threatens that and he'll look a bit of a hippocrite.

Well, I guess you put "Boris" and "hypocrite" into separate sentences. Personally, I think those words are made for each other ?

(Trip to Barnards Castle, anyone?)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Any citizen has the right of arrest.....provided the offence is an arrestable offence, so you need to know that in advance!! ( 5 years imprisonment).
As far as I can see current consultation only really concerns improving the powers of landowners and the police on their behalf to prevent/remove those trespassing with the intent of living on that land. That being largely in response to the current farce experienced every year in parts of the country where travellers decide to park their caravans etc in public parks etc and local authorities or other land owners have to get court orders ( tort) to remove them given that trespass in most circumstances is a civil and not a criminal offence. I think it is Guardian led fear mongering to suggest that to introduce such a change would be draconium and of course it is seeking to rattle the cage of cyclists, walkers, campers et all by suggesting it would encompass severe restrcitions on existing footpaths, bridleways, and other rights of way. So the OPs first apology "sorry to get all political....." is precisely what this is.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
PCSO's using handcuffs or detaining is rare. They only do this for serious crimes, not because of where your riding where you shouldn't be. As always, beg forgiveness not permission!!

If you enact a citizens arrest and it's deemed unlawful you are liable for common assault amongst other things.

The fact only three forces issue handcuffs indicates the political hot potato that it is. It's just cheap policing and they are paying the price with ambiguity.

As @Mikerb says and I believe, this is to give the Police and Land Owners the ability to move travellers on. In the USA they simply can't believe trespass isn't a criminal offence. The Guardian seem to be stirring the hornet's nest.

If someone is flagrantly riding on someone's property or building trails then there isn't much defense. We spoke to Police Officers and the Foresty Commision who were doing an outreach day some time ago in the Surrey Hills and they were very pragmatic about the situation. I can't see that changing. I know there is a lot of Right to Roam up for review, especially military land, but I can't see them making a solid case for the military only being able to use vast swathes of the countryside which are currently being enjoyed by so many. Same with places like the Surrey Hills.

Worried about this? No. Passionate about access? Yes.

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Excellent original post. It's a long time since I was in the TRF (the Trail Riders Fellowship - an organisation dedicated to protecting rights of way for off-road motorcycling) One thing I do recall was that despite their considerable resources a lot of ancient rights of way were lost and this could be a danger for our bridleways.

Mastiles Lane in Yorkshire is a good example and there are now very clear signs prohibiting vehicular use on that ancient drovers road. If an off-road biker was reported I believe the police could stop the offender at the end of the route and have the power to sieze the bike. So any downgrading of our bridleways, particularly if it became a criminal offence is something to be very wary of. Landowners, and the Ramblers Association have a lot of influence and without the dedication and resources of an organisation like the TRF we could, over time, have a lot to lose.

citydreams

Jul 20, 2020
Brixton
You can add your name to a petition to extend the 2026 deadline for recording all footpaths and bridleways here:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles