Returning to MTB after 20 years!

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Hello All,

Good to be here.

I'm not exactly a newbie but have had a rather long hiatus. I used to race XC in the late 90's in the Youth category with some sponsorship and even competed at the Worlds in Plymouth.

Fast forward 20 years and I've recently got back into riding, borrowing my Dads old 2018 Specialized Levo Expert. I'm absolutely loving it and currently enjoying test riding as many bikes as I can before deciding what to buy.

So far I've demoed :-

Orbea Rise M10
Santa Cruz Heckler
YT Decoy Core 4
Trek Rail 9.8 XT.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum.

Cheers,
Type1.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Welcome ...
It's taken a while to get this far on your journey ..but glad your passion has been re-ignited ..
If you don't mind me offering an opinion ..give Whyte a demo ..they are a great ride ( possibly a biased opinion though from an e160rs owner 😁) ..
Type1.. Diabetic ?
Type 2 myself ..but don't let that get in the way !
Cheers
Neil

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I don't know if your list contains any of the new light weight models, but I'd bet this is the trend of the ebike industry. Once they bump up the batteries near the range of full fats and increase the Nm's of these new light weight batteries . . . I'd at least give a bike like the Trek Fuel a test ride. I paid $6200 (U.S.) 2 months ago for my Trek Powerfly FS 9 and Trek has an entry level Trek Fuel EXE model for a similar price in the $6,500 range.

I bet these light weight bikes will get a higher resale value over a FF . . . as your first ebike probably won't be your last. I bought 1 a month over a 3 month period 😱 until I found exactly what I was looking for. In hindsight, I thought the light weights were in the $10,000 range, I would have gone for a $6,500 Trek Fuel myself and I already see one in my future 🤣

Rob (this forums owner) has already reviewed a number of the new light weights here.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Welcome ...
It's taken a while to get this far on your journey ..but glad your passion has been re-ignited ..
If you don't mind me offering an opinion ..give Whyte a demo ..they are a great ride ( possibly a biased opinion though from an e160rs owner 😁) ..
Type1.. Diabetic ?
Type 2 myself ..but don't let that get in the way !
Cheers
Neil

Opinions greatly received 👍
They do look a great piece of kit. Do you know where I could demo one ideally Cheshire way?

Good spot! The cycling must be good for your insulin sensitivity?

Cheers,
Type1

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
I don't know if your list contains any of the new light weight models, but I'd bet this is the trend of the ebike industry. Once they bump up the batteries near the range of full fats and increase the Nm's of these new light weight batteries . . . I'd at least give a bike like the Trek Fuel a test ride. I paid $6200 (U.S.) 2 months ago for my Trek Powerfly FS 9 and Trek has an entry level Trek Fuel EXE model for a similar price in the $6,500 range.

I bet these light weight bikes will get a higher resale value over a FF . . . as your first ebike probably won't be your last. I bought 1 a month over a 3 month period 😱 until I found exactly what I was looking for. In hindsight, I thought the light weights were in the $10,000 range, I would have gone for a $6,500 Trek Fuel myself and I already see one in my future 🤣

Rob (this forums owner) has already reviewed a number of the new light weights here.
Hi Expedia,

The Rise is a Light weight. Unfortunately they only had a medium for me to demo which was too small, but I wasn’t that sold on it. The full power versions are more appealing.

I suspect you’re right though, they will be the future, but I think we’re a few years away from them producing comparable performance.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm not exactly a newbie but have had a rather long hiatus. I used to race XC in the late 90's in the Youth category

Welcome back. I'm sure you've noticed how much bikes have changed since you left. EVERYTHING is so much better now, and... eMTB's! Have fun finding the one for you.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Welcome back. I'm sure you've noticed how much bikes have changed since you left. EVERYTHING is so much better now, and... eMTB's! Have fun finding the one for you.
I had about 40mm of front travel and V brakes had just been invented last time I rode!

Now I’m riding bikes with 170mm and they just eat up everything. So capable!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Opinions greatly received 👍
They do look a great piece of kit. Do you know where I could demo one ideally Cheshire way?

Good spot! The cycling must be good for your insulin sensitivity?

Cheers,
Type1
That I'm afraid I don't know ..
I'm at the other side of the country to you ..but good luck with whatever you choose

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Given your background, I would have thought one of the new lightweight bikes might suit you well. However, full fat bikes are very beguiling (I've got both). Many people are waiting with baited breath for the new Specialized SL. I spoke to someone from Specialized at a recent bike test who said he thought that the new bike would definitely have more power (to compete with Rise, Trek etc). He didn't know how much but thought about 50nm. I have a Rise which won over the SL because of greater range and price, but I've ridden the SL and it is the most like an analogue bike I've ridden.

Type1

Sep 6, 2022
Uk
Finally made a decision and pulled the trigger last week on a YT Decoy Core 4!

The Heckler came a very close second but for comparable spec was an extra £4k+ and the Decoy's suspension felt a little plusher.

I wasn't impressed by the 9.8 Rail at all, although thought it may have been the favourite before riding it. The rear triangle had too much lateral flex it was unnerving at times. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to have a crack or manufacturing fault. The battery rattle was also very distracting.

Fingers crossed the Decoy arrives before the end of the month.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles