Other Retrofit Mastermind TCU2 to a TCU1 LEVO?... NOPE!

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
I had watched videos of shops taking a TCU2 from a floor model and installing it in a 2021 Turbo Levo and giving it a thumbs up for functionality. Liking the idea of the utility of the TCU2 (Mastermind) features I contacted the LBS and they quoted me a price of $180, and I said order it!

Coming from a tech background, I contacted Specialized Support for information about firmware version requirements or other info I would need to complete the install.

Here are the responses,

" Thanks for reaching out to rider care. Unfortunately, the Mastermind computers are not backwards compatible with bikes not originally equipped with the Mastermind display. The primary reason for this incompatibility is technology issues related to firmware updates. Each bike has specific firmware written to the motor, battery, and display, which is then associated with that bike's SN. Plugging in a Mastermind generation computer to a bike not originally equipped with the new system may cause error codes in the system. Attempting to update the Mastermind system with an incompatible SN could result in limited functionality, and in some cases loss of bike functionality, so we do not recommend this exchange and it will not have warranty coverage. I apologize for the inconvenience. "

and after another few questions for clarity on this:

" I am sorry for the misinformation on the web about this. They do not portray long-term use where the incompatibility leads to motors bricking. The TCU2 is incompatible with any model that did not originally come with one. "

Seemingly, either Specialized has no concept of building in backward compatibility that would update the firmware to the appropriate versions, or, they find it useful to develop new electronic devices in such a way that you have to buy a new bike to get the TCU2 features.

Based upon their response, even the lower tier 2022 models cannot be retrofitted with TCU2 or it will eventually brick their motors as well. (Frankly, this sounds like a "pat" answer to encourage customers to spring for the $9K bike over the $6K bike if they want "Mastermind TCU" features.)

A company should be able to write code so that compatibility is maintained for previous year models. Motor, Battery, and Display firmware is already aware of each other in the Mission Control OTA updates. How challenging would it be to write the code for the new display to accommodate the motor firmware in the previous year's model, or a lower tier model from the same year?

It leaves me thinking their software team may not be up to the task if they can't do this. Or worse, maybe the sales and accounting departments dictate that they make no effort to maintain backward compatibility.

They could sell these displays to anyone interested had they put more thought into this.

I think that this will be the last Specialized e-bike ownership experience for me.

Sure, I'll ride the bike till it is done, just won't look for another one. Sour grapes? Yeah, but I come from a technical background. I have written code for motion control devices that had to be backward compatible with our prior products so we could best support our existing customers. It shouldn't be that big of a stretch for Specialized to manage to do the same.

Last edited:

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Sure Specialized software team knows very well how to make TCU2 compatible with whole gen2 and gen3 models, both generations are based on the same platform. They just decided to put some extra effort into it to make it incompatible. For obvious reasons.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Just get a Garmin. It has more information and is easier to read.

I like the bike lock feature of the Mastermind, and really like not having an expensive piece of gear mounted on the bars.

The Garmin won't allow me to change motor settings on the fly from the pushbuttons on the bars, or any of the Mission Control features that translate to the TCU2.

I can put my phone on the bars if I wanted to have it there. I know too many who have damaged or lost gadgets mounted on the bars.

lthomas71

May 25, 2022
Munich
Hi,
i was also very disappointed. This was one of the reason, i have developed a new Android app myself. I was missing in MissionControl or other app some feature and i didn't want to spend money on an extra device. Please feel free to try yourself Turbo Tacho - Light - Apps on Google Play
With Turbo Tacho you can still use MissionControl in parallel. For example you can use smartcontrol with missioncontrol (done in background) and use the Turbo Tacho just to display ride data (foreground). Also the recording of the ride could be done in background by missioncontrol.
Thomas

Last edited:

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Or it does actually work and support is spouting a bunch of BS. But who's willing to take that risk? I think it's silly. I'd love to have the TCU2 on my 22 Alloy Comp. I don't want carbon, nor do I want to spring for carbon. I don't need it.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Re-reading their reply, there is a lot of 'could' and 'may' in the answer. It sounds like they're not even sure what would happen. Which is what makes me think it's a steaming pile.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
What happens when a LBS puts a new motor (or several) in a TCU2 bike? Is it from a special pile of TCU2 motors? Is the firmware updated so the motor can work with the TCU2? Are S/Ns updated in the TCU2 so it can work with the new motor?

Last edited:

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Re-reading their reply, there is a lot of 'could' and 'may' in the answer. It sounds like they're not even sure what would happen. Which is what makes me think it's a steaming pile.

Ha ha, yeah, my reply hit heavily on all the vague descriptors they used. Their response is likely BS, or, they have the worst coders writing their software. Either way it doesn't bode well for Specialized emtb reliability and/or customer service.

Too many logical holes to fill, and they didn't even try.

They went so far as to contact the LBS to tell them not to sell the TCU2 to me. I found this out when I called to cancel the order.

I think they are trying to avoid "Osborning" their higher end bike line if word got out that TCU2 is plug-n-play on all lesser models. It seems to me they are using a $180 part and some carbon fiber to justify a $3K higher price. Take away Mastermind and the frame is all they have other than the component group. The sort of folks who pony up for that price range and higher don't want to see their "exclusive" tech on a lesser product, as a bolt-on sub $200 part.

Cadusakaguchi

May 30, 2022
Brazil
I noticed that the new CREO SL comes with the new TCU and uses the same motor and battery as the previous versions. That's why I believe that the SLs are compatible with the new TCU.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Specialized has a habit of saying that the new parts are incompatible with old frames even when they are. They will even go out of their way to break compatibility.

gabryp

Feb 17, 2021
Italy
A representative told me that due to component shortage they are mounting the TCU2 only on higher end bikes, and they have blocked the firmware to prevent dealers to install them on previous model. But it should become available for everyone as soon as they have more of them.

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
I have the tcu2 in my Levo 2020 comp and love it…

microtune, cadence, watts, pulse, even the radar function works with the Garmin Varia…

before
51C3EFF9-2EF4-479A-8B22-5FCFA7978846.jpeg

now
BBE9EF6A-AD7C-4415-954C-6A6A841AA0DF.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Last question, is it a 2.2 motor? :)
There isn't really such a thing as a 2.2 motor. It was just marketing and they decided that with the various cumulative updates to that point they could justify calling it a 2.2 when they launched the Gen3.

Theoretically, any motor made after around July/August 2021 would be 2.2 "spec".

Therefore lots of later build Gen2 bikes would have 2.2 spec (serial number) motors - though there doesn't seem to be any definitive exact before and after number. Also lots of bikes with replacement motors would have ended up with newer build/serial number motors.

There has been a change to 200 series motors (start of the serial number) which recently incorporated some other changes, but only more recent gen 3 bikes will have these.

As far as the TCU is concerned, it doesn't actually know if it's in a gen 2 or a gen 3 bike, though it looks like Spesh may have started locking out some of the early serial numbers.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
I'll just wait until warranty expires and get it then.
Thanks for all the positive feedback on it working for a long time on a couple of bikes!

BlueThunder

Mar 13, 2022
Germany
The TCU Mastermind must first be registered on an original bike intended for it otherwise it probably does not work… I’ve paid 440€

Jun43

Dec 3, 2022
USA
Has anyone else used the MAstermind on a turbo comp alloy? Getting mix reviews that some say it works and some say it doesnt

Fabiods

Oct 3, 2022
Italy
Let's tell the truth about the new TCU Mastermind. Many words are said, what matters is the practical experience. Let's start by saying that the TCU 2 are all compatible with the previous models and will also be compatible in the future with the new firmware, because Specialized, in the event of a faulty engine, will mount the 2022 engine also on the 2021 models, so this must necessarily be compatible with TCU 1 and vice versa. I have 2 sworks, a 2021 and a 2022, on 2021 I broke the engine, the dealer fitted me a new engine that he had available, to my question, but shouldn't it be a 2021 engine? He answered me now we only mount 2022 engines even on the previous ones. Then I disassembled the TCU 2 from the sworks 2022 and mounted it on the 2021, it works perfectly except as soon as it is turned on it tells me Component Swap, which can be solved by having the dealer insert the 2022 serial on the 2021, if he wants to do it. Having changed the engine and the new TCU2 on 2021 and since there are no other electronic components in between, I can say that these are perfectly compatible. By changing the serial, the Mission Control app will also work, if you don't change the serial it won't work.

Jun43

Dec 3, 2022
USA
Let's tell the truth about the new TCU Mastermind. Many words are said, what matters is the practical experience. Let's start by saying that the TCU 2 are all compatible with the previous models and will also be compatible in the future with the new firmware, because Specialized, in the event of a faulty engine, will mount the 2022 engine also on the 2021 models, so this must necessarily be compatible with TCU 1 and vice versa. I have 2 sworks, a 2021 and a 2022, on 2021 I broke the engine, the dealer fitted me a new engine that he had available, to my question, but shouldn't it be a 2021 engine? He answered me now we only mount 2022 engines even on the previous ones. Then I disassembled the TCU 2 from the sworks 2022 and mounted it on the 2021, it works perfectly except as soon as it is turned on it tells me Component Swap, which can be solved by having the dealer insert the 2022 serial on the 2021, if he wants to do it. Having changed the engine and the new TCU2 on 2021 and since there are no other electronic components in between, I can say that these are perfectly compatible. By changing the serial, the Mission Control app will also work, if you don't change the serial it won't work.
on the latest firmware?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles