Replacement Wheels for the Race Face AR30C's

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
Saw some recommendations to use different wheel sets including the Hunt ones that are reasonably priced and come in a weigh saving of nearly 500g.

Speaking to folk at Hunt though and they are recommending much heavier wheelset due to the torque.

Anybody here fitted a Hunt set and how did it go ?

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
The Rise is more like an analog bike than a FF 80+nm bike that weighs 50+ pounds… the question is are they saying this for ebike in general or not.

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
I think they are being cautious which I get. As you say tho it is more analogue like than big 25Kg monster as per my old Giant Trance SX.

So far doesn't look as if anybody has replaced standards with Hunt wheels.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
An e-bike weighing an extra 20 lbs over a normal bike is not the thing to consider. Also the tq of even a full 85nm bike is small compared to stoping a bike with an overweight person. It’s just easier to categorize it as an e-bike issue than the typical overweight e-biker. 😂 All while increasing the price for that e-bike sticker.

Good brakes and casing jumps are the hardest test of wheels. You can go from 40 to 0 much much much quicker than any e-bike can go from 0 to 40.

The strongest brakes recommend 32 spoke minimum.

The OP wanting wheels that are 500 grams lighter is a bad choice unless they’re only for commuting.

@TtheArab you want to find some heavy duty wheels. 32spoke and not weight weenie wheels. Ideally get ones that are custom built and then tried and tuned after a ride. Dt swiss FR1750 so far are the only aluminum wheels so far I’ve had that kept true where other aluminum ones have been wobbly after a couple days. Or spend 2k+ on some hand built 32 spoke carbon ones that are enduro/DH rated.
I went the enduro route with my carbon wheel upgrade as I use it as my big mountain bike so I personally agree with you

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
Part of wheel replacement is the hub scenario. On the Giant SX I replaced the hubs with Hopes and had zero issue. I don't do crazy stuff and tend to use the trails at Comrie which are technical and challenging but not big jumps etc.

Hunt's on the way with Shimano M7100 cassette to let me have a full set to then fit the DHR IIs to and just swap out the originals.

Given Hunt have a deal on at £296 for a set of Trail Wide MTB right now it's not a massive loss if it doesn't work out but I suspect it will.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Part of wheel replacement is the hub scenario. On the Giant SX I replaced the hubs with Hopes and had zero issue. I don't do crazy stuff and tend to use the trails at Comrie which are technical and challenging but not big jumps etc.

Hunt's on the way with Shimano M7100 cassette to let me have a full set to then fit the DHR IIs to and just swap out the originals.

Given Hunt have a deal on at £296 for a set of Trail Wide MTB right now it's not a massive loss if it doesn't work out but I suspect it will.
Let us know how they work out as they are really cool looking… I have I9 hubs and the high engagement really helps in the tech areas… gives more confidence in my ability to balance at slower speeds

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
If you're in the UK I highly recommend DCR wheels.

I ordered Bitex 212 hubs with microspline, dt Swiss dlight spokes, and a 30mm 490g 29er "big boy" rim. Cost only £400 built and delivered. Lifetime guarantee and free trueing. They are rock solid and weight a paltry 1750g, lighter than raceface turbine R.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I have both the enduro wide and the trail wide setup for our Rises, have had zero issues with the lighter trail wide, and found them to be a perfect match for the wife’s M20

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have kept my AR30 rims from my M20 I just removed the hubs & spokes & rebuilt the wheels with decent hubs, spank hex rear hub, the Shimano rear hub alone weighs 480g!!

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
Kudos to Hunt. Wheels just arrived. Tyres to go on tomorrow and cassette as and when it arrives so it is all ready to pop on when the bike arrives next Thurs.
Can you let us know what the weight of the individual wheels is as delivered please. I'm considering a set of these.

My Rise rear wheel with knackered Chosen freewheel is at my local bike shop having the hub swapped for a 430g Shimano fh-410b

Matzotom

Nov 29, 2021
UK
I have a Rise with hunt carbon wheels. The original race face alloy rim lasted 2 rides on the rear before being totally knackered on a rocky decent.
As the bike was new and I didn't want to be without the bike for long, I began scouring the net for options.
Having just dropped 7k on the bike, finances were tight so including the cost factor and the speed of delivery, the hunt carbon wheels made sense.
My experience with carbon rims has been excellent. I've have no issues with any carbon wheel for since I first got some over 5 years ago.
The hubs are pretty quiet, they work, don't really stand out as looks go and have what looks like a good warranty.
No problems so far.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
If you're in the UK I highly recommend DCR wheels.

I ordered Bitex 212 hubs with microspline, dt Swiss dlight spokes, and a 30mm 490g 29er "big boy" rim. Cost only £400 built and delivered. Lifetime guarantee and free trueing. They are rock solid and weight a paltry 1750g, lighter than raceface turbine R.
What Rim? 490g Aluminum rim is really light. Bitex hubs are a great Value option, comparable to DT240's weightwise

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
Thanks, for posting the weights. Your rear weight is similar to my Rise rear wheel weight with Chosen hub which weighed 1073g before I changed the hub to the heavier 410 Shimano.

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
For what it is worth I have Hunt Trailwide wheels on my analog Stumpy EVO which I race Enduro on. They have been solid all season. I did however have to re-tensions the rear spikes a full turn each 2/3 of the way through. Other than that they have been faultless and I consider them to be a really great value wheelset 👍🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles