Repeater PT First Ride Review

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, I'm a sucker for tech and a huge fan of Transition so I couldn't resist ordering the Repeater PT. I chose the X0 AXS option and received it yesterday. Built it up last night and took it out for a 20 mile, 1500' ride this morning.

Now, let me state that unlike a lot of people here, I don't ride e-bikes all that much. If I look at my stats over the last 4 months I had 0 miles on e-bikes even though I owned both a Shuttle LT and Relay. My Pivot Mach 4 SL accounted for nearly 75% of my riding with my Firebird at 20% and Switchblade and Druid the other 5%. I had mostly used the e-bikes when I wanted to let my kid ride on the front (Kids Ride Shotgun is a great option for that!). Other than that it is a hassle for me as I had to cross a full mile of non-ebike allowed trails to get to where I could legally ride one. I don't feel like dealing with a hassle so I just almost never do that. It was one of the things I did love about the Relay though as I could use it and still be fine as I'd just pop the battery into my hydration pack for that bit and then put it in where allowed.

However, I had also agreed to a "bike in, bike out" protocol with my wife so when I ordered the Repeater PT and a Pivot Phoenix, I had to let two bikes go. I chose the Relay and the Shuttle LT because I hadn't been riding them. I may regret letting the Relay go but it is what it is.

On with the review:
Good: 

-Coast shift is awesome. I would love to have that on all of my bikes. You always feel ready.

-At first I thought I had the suspension too firm but I took it over some nasty tech and it handled like a breeze

. Both the Zeb and Vivid performed wonderfully
-Battery power is great, still had 52% left but not sure what percentage of time I used range vs rally. I was hitting enough tech stuff that I mistakenly hit that sometimes and didn’t realize it until later.

-Geometry is perfect for an enduro bike. Some drops that look scary were handled like they were nothing. I’ve done that trail mostly on the M4SL and I usually feel like I might die at any moment 😂 On the Firebird it is no problem but the climbs suck. Obviously not a problem today and the downhill performed comparably with the Firebird which is about as high praise as I can give

Bad:

-Autoshift is like 85% great and 15% WTF. Maybe 90/10 but it is enough that I felt like I had to babysit it. May just be a matter of me getting used to it.

-It feels a little jumpy in rally mode so you have to be careful on tech climbs

-Back end is hard to unweight/slide around

-Water bottle space is not really adequate but I'll solve that like I do on my other bikes

All in all I’d give it a B+ rating. The Relay got an A after my first ride as an FYI. I think I was just more easily able to control the Relay right away. This feels similar to the Shuttle LT that I had. I had to learn to control that one. I'm sure we'll see some of the problems corrected over time but for now autoshift is the only thing I'd call "disappointing". Not sure that is the right word though as I could totally see how it would help a beginner or if you were more on a mellow climb.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.
dji_mimo_20231015_110534_20231015110535_1697402101331_photo.jpeg

Bluedirtz

May 6, 2023
PNW Dirt
Well, I'm a sucker for tech and a huge fan of Transition so I couldn't resist ordering the Repeater PT. I chose the X0 AXS option and received it yesterday. Built it up last night and took it out for a 20 mile, 1500' ride this morning.

Now, let me state that unlike a lot of people here, I don't ride e-bikes all that much. If I look at my stats over the last 4 months I had 0 miles on e-bikes even though I owned both a Shuttle LT and Relay. My Pivot Mach 4 SL accounted for nearly 75% of my riding with my Firebird at 20% and Switchblade and Druid the other 5%. I had mostly used the e-bikes when I wanted to let my kid ride on the front (Kids Ride Shotgun is a great option for that!). Other than that it is a hassle for me as I had to cross a full mile of non-ebike allowed trails to get to where I could legally ride one. I don't feel like dealing with a hassle so I just almost never do that. It was one of the things I did love about the Relay though as I could use it and still be fine as I'd just pop the battery into my hydration pack for that bit and then put it in where allowed.

However, I had also agreed to a "bike in, bike out" protocol with my wife so when I ordered the Repeater PT and a Pivot Phoenix, I had to let two bikes go. I chose the Relay and the Shuttle LT because I hadn't been riding them. I may regret letting the Relay go but it is what it is.

On with the review:
Good: 

-Coast shift is awesome. I would love to have that on all of my bikes. You always feel ready.

-At first I thought I had the suspension too firm but I took it over some nasty tech and it handled like a breeze

. Both the Zeb and Vivid performed wonderfully
-Battery power is great, still had 52% left but not sure what percentage of time I used range vs rally. I was hitting enough tech stuff that I mistakenly hit that sometimes and didn’t realize it until later.

-Geometry is perfect for an enduro bike. Some drops that look scary were handled like they were nothing. I’ve done that trail mostly on the M4SL and I usually feel like I might die at any moment 😂 On the Firebird it is no problem but the climbs suck. Obviously not a problem today and the downhill performed comparably with the Firebird which is about as high praise as I can give

Bad:

-Autoshift is like 85% great and 15% WTF. Maybe 90/10 but it is enough that I felt like I had to babysit it. May just be a matter of me getting used to it.

-It feels a little jumpy in rally mode so you have to be careful on tech climbs

-Back end is hard to unweight/slide around

-Water bottle space is not really adequate but I'll solve that like I do on my other bikes

All in all I’d give it a B+ rating. The Relay got an A after my first ride as an FYI. I think I was just more easily able to control the Relay right away. This feels similar to the Shuttle LT that I had. I had to learn to control that one. I'm sure we'll see some of the problems corrected over time but for now autoshift is the only thing I'd call "disappointing". Not sure that is the right word though as I could totally see how it would help a beginner or if you were more on a mellow climb.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.
View attachment 126953
Is the relay still better now that you had this for a week?

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
I did one more 20 mile ride this week and, yeah, I still prefer the Relay but I'm going to give it a month or so to see if I can mess with the assistance settings to get it where I am comfortable with it. Still feels like it is trying to get away from me, even in range mode, on tight switchback climbs. I can easily see scenarios where this bike would win as it tracks the ground very well and seems planted no matter what you throw at it. OTOH, I just can't get the feel on whipping the backend around quickly when needed yet.

I never felt like the Shuttle LT was trying to get away from me for comparison but I used it in the lowest power mode the vast majority of the time. The range mode assistance on the Repeater is probably just much stronger. I don't have enough time to test it regularly right now so it may take me bit to dial it in or, it just may not be for me...

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
How would you rate the handling vs the Shuttle LT?
If you were making a decision now between the aging LT and this, what would you go for? Is the new tech worth it?

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
How would you rate the handling vs the Shuttle LT?
If you were making a decision now between the aging LT and this, what would you go for? Is the new tech worth it?
Sorry for the late reply as I didn’t notice this earlier. I’d probably go with the Repeater but it isn’t a slam dunk. Most of the tech is cool but not a big deal. Coast shift is awesome however. That should come on every bike.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I have been resisting the urge to buy a R-PT, because there is nothing wrong with my Levo (lol), but I really miss how Transitions ride so I'm always tempted. Have you had any issues yet? My Relay was a major let down and I'm leery of buying a "first gen" bike again lol.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles