Renthal vs One Up Carbon Bars

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Cracking deal, the bars were cracking or is cracking a good deal in your neck of the woods? Sounds like they're cracking and they gave you a deal? I'm confused. While we're at it - what is a bloke? I could google it but figure the responses here would be more entertaining.
Who was it said that the Americans and the Brits were people divided by a common language? Was it Churchill? It was the sort of thing he might say. Yes, you are correct Shinn to draw attention to the different uses of "cracking" and it was remiss of me to use the word in connection with a product that has been known to crack.

I suspect that you are being slightly mischievous by claiming to be confused. Never mind, it had good comedic effect.
Someone else answered your bloke query.

If you are confused by words used by Brits in an unfamiliar way, you should try dealing with the Continent of Europe and its multiplicity of languages. When I worked for a living, I was once involved in what could have been in a comedy sketch purely on the use of the word "interesting".

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I think you may have missed the part where I said "if you're a DH rider"
I don't think so - I took it as a straight forward thought, not one meant to rude. I just wanted to share more info of my situation. Maybe my response came off wrong? Anyway, I do appreciate the guidance from everyone. I rode for many years, stopped for about 10 and wholly cow have things changed.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Who was it said that the Americans and the Brits were people divided by a common language? Was it Churchill? It was the sort of thing he might say. Yes, you are correct Shinn to draw attention to the different uses of "cracking" and it was remiss of me to use the word in connection with a product that has been known to crack.

I suspect that you are being slightly mischievous by claiming to be confused. Never mind, it had good comedic effect.

If you are confused by words used by Brits in an unfamiliar way, you should try dealing with the Continent of Europe and its multiplicity of languages. When I worked for a living, I was once involved in what could have been in a comedy sketch purely on the use of the word "interesting".
Interesting

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Can't go wrong with some Dire Straits. I'm still a bit of a fan of Mark Knopfler excellent guitarist, not the greatest writer though.

Much better definition than I would have gotten from Google.

:)
Eh ..not a great writer? Sultans of Swing , Telegraph Road , Private Investigations , Tunnel of Love ..fantastic lyrics ..to mention but a few.
I still have a ticket ( somewhere ) for the Brothers In Arms tour ..thinking it was on a Sunday when it had been the previous Wednesday ..havent played any of their stuff recently though ..

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Eh ..not a great writer? Sultans of Swing , Telegraph Road , Private Investigations , Tunnel of Love ..fantastic lyrics ..to mention but a few.
I still have a ticket ( somewhere ) for the Brothers In Arms tour ..thinking it was on a Sunday when it had been the previous Wednesday ..havent played any of their stuff recently though ..
you are correct - I was thinking of the newer tracks since dire straits. They are just odd.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Interestingly this oldish bloke found a bloody cracking deal on a One Up, 35 mm rise bar at WW Cyclery and ordered them. I'll make sure my grips are tight:) after cutting them down to 780 - I believe I'll be better off physically with a bit more compliance and figure there is a 50% chance I'll love them and hopefully they won't be too dodgey.

I'm chuffed to bits with all the help in making a choice between two lovely handle bars.

Now I need a shorter stem...will get started once I download all of the Mark Knofler tunes from Apple Music.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA

I was a bit confused at first but was being a little cheeky in my post. Feels like I learned a new language today.

kylnman

Jan 6, 2020
Virginia, USA
I replaced Renthal with OneUp. The difference is astonishing, and I'll not go back to Renthal. I'm even buying 35mm stems for my other bikes just so I can have OneUps all around. Yes, I wish they made a 31.8 tuned version.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Have you looked in to stem cell?

I did three or so years ago when I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both hips, right one ended up crumbling and it was replaced in June of 2017. Had my left one done in Dec of the same year as it was starting to go as well.

Would be something worth looking into though. Thanks for mentioning it, I wouldn't thought of it.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I don't think the one-up bars will break. I think you should give them a go. I have had renthal carbon bars and other too which all transmit more impact to my hands and arms than the One up bars. I highly recommend them! A noticeable difference.

My buddy has both the spank vibrocore and the one up. He thought the vibrocore did nothing substantial. He likes the one up.

Have you considered using cushcore inserts and lowering tire pressures 2 psi to get some plusher feel? Personally I have found going to more travel in the fork will soften things up too and give you even more bottom out resistance: the air spring shafts are cheap. I have also combined it with Vorsprung Luftkappe or the new Secus add-on to increase negative air spring volume: this yields softer initial travel but more mid stroke support. It feels great on the hands and arms. Perhaps even going all the way to a coil spring in the fork might be the ultimate! I have gotten used to faster rebound and it too keeps the fork high in the travel and less fatiguing on the hands.

Not all of us are Gary hard@ass material. Yes I have glass hands. ?

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't think the one-up bars will break. I think you should give them a go. I have had renthal carbon bars and other too which all transmit more impact to my hands and arms than the One up bars. I highly recommend them! A noticeable difference.

My buddy has both the spank vibrocore and the one up. He thought the vibrocore did nothing substantial. He likes the one up.

Have you considered using cushcore inserts and lowering tire pressures 2 psi to get some plusher feel? Personally I have found going to more travel in the fork will soften things up too and give you even more bottom out resistance: the air spring shafts are cheap. I have also combined it with Vorsprung Luftkappe or the new Secus add-on to increase negative air spring volume: this yields softer initial travel but more mid stroke support. It feels great on the hands and arms. Perhaps even going all the way to a coil spring in the fork might be the ultimate! I have gotten used to faster rebound and it too keeps the fork high in the travel and less fatiguing on the hands.

Not all of us are Gary hard@ass material. Yes I have glass hands. ?

I also have fitted a Luftkappe to my 38. Big improvement.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Now Shinns decided on the oneup bars (y) I've been interested in reading others experiences in attaining comfort for bad hands /wrists.
I've found the most expensive things have been the most beneficial. If I rate them from most plushest it would have to be Cushcores & lower pressure, better fork (charger damper upgrade in my case), one up bars then finally big Deity grips. All of those changes have made a hge difference in how less beaten up my hands & arms feel during & after a ride. The final thing I was wondering about would be brakes - ie not having to use so much pressure. Anyone had any experience changing their brakes for this reason?

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
Now Shinns decided on the oneup bars (y) I've been interested in reading others experiences in attaining comfort for bad hands /wrists.
I've found the most expensive things have been the most beneficial. If I rate them from most plushest it would have to be Cushcores & lower pressure, better fork (charger damper upgrade in my case), one up bars then finally big Deity grips. All of those changes have made a hge difference in how less beaten up my hands & arms feel during & after a ride. The final thing I was wondering about would be brakes - ie not having to use so much pressure. Anyone had any experience changing their brakes for this reason?

Im considering 230 rotors for my XT brakes.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada

Ah yes the RC2 or grip 2 damper is a great way to be able to turn down the High speed compression on demand. I too like it to run it soft most of the time. Before I spent the money on the damper upgrade I did get thinner fluid on my last rebuild to lighten the damping tune. I do prefer the adjustability of the cartridge upgrade tho. Overall, reducing High speed compression has large effect on fatigue build up over long fast hammering rides.

I have sram rsc code brakes and went to 220mm rotors front and rear and also find that it reduces hand and finger fatigue.

I also used to slam my bars as low as I could go for racing. But I have gone to higher bar height and have been going a bit narrower too. It’s great for steep downhill terrain and gives a lot of control down steep tech trails. Takes some weight off the arms.

I have the rev grips and like them. They didn’t do much for me tho. The one up bar was more noticeable.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Pretty much heading down the same path. Will most likely change one or two things at the time. I'm on the fence about the fork, I want to add more travel to my Levo SL but not sure I need more than 150 - I didn't notice the issues with my elbows near as much on my Haibike which had a fox 36 fit 4 at 160mm on it with 2.8 Minions and is what got me thinking about tire pressure.

I'm sure this will change but right now I'd like to find a used Pike and fit the Push spring or similar. I am hesitant to spend 900$ to just remove all the internals though. A used Pike would be nice.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its all very subjective, and how you bar set up feels massively depends on how the rest of the front end is set up too. In a way its easiest to aim for a super stiff set up, whereas trying to introduce more compliance without sacrificing feel/directness, is often a case of trial and error with different components, and of course when it comes down to bars how you set them up in terms of angles, and stem reach/rise has a big impact too.

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
Pretty much heading down the same path. Will most likely change one or two things at the time. I'm on the fence about the fork, I want to add more travel to my Levo SL but not sure I need more than 150 - I didn't notice the issues with my elbows near as much on my Haibike which had a fox 36 fit 4 at 160mm on it with 2.8 Minions and is what got me thinking about tire pressure.

I'm sure this will change but right now I'd like to find a used Pike and fit the Push spring or similar. I am hesitant to spend 900$ to just remove all the internals though. A used Pike would be nice.

To be fair the biggest thing I worked on was body position going down hill. Got my body lower and more relaxed, made the biggest difference out of anything. As a side benefit my speed really jumped up.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I think its all very subjective, and how you bar set up feels massively depends on how the rest of the front end is set up too. In a way its easiest to aim for a super stiff set up, whereas trying to introduce more compliance without sacrificing feel/directness, is often a case of trial and error with different components, and of course when it comes down to bars how you set them up in terms of angles, and stem reach/rise has a big impact too.
Very true on how it's set up. I know for sure, my current RF bars are too stiff and want a bit more rise, the SL has has a rather short reach for me as I have short legs and long arms. (I'm on a M) I ordered a 35mm rise planning to ditch the spacers to gain a few mm of reach and gain a bit of additional bar height.

I believe I'm working thru this methodically - fingers crossed.

thanks to all for the thoughts and recommendations.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
To be fair the biggest thing I worked on was body position going down hill. Got my body lower and more relaxed, made the biggest difference out of anything. As a side benefit my speed really jumped up.
Not too many long descents around here, actually there aren't any. Mostly short techy sections.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles