Removing chain retention roller

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Has anyone removed the chain retention roller when riding cross country?

Removing it would still have the chainring with about a quarter wrap of chain, which is the same amount that a lot of high pivot bikes successfully use. It would also make it much quieter, which would be nice.

Of course the retention roller would go back on for any rowdy or days at the bike park.

1685968692557.png

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Wouldn’t removing the chain retention change the length of the chain? Thus changing the “B” screw setting.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If all you do is to remove the roller, then the chain would be too slack. and give problems. Or are you contemplating removing links and then adding them back again as part of the roller removal/replacement activity?

Bryggi

Aug 16, 2023
Finland
Remove 2links and you are golden. Here is my setup and designed part for plug and play switch for original lower roller. Much quieter and better shifting

20230804_154324.jpg

Last edited:

Bryggi

Aug 16, 2023
Finland
Thanks! It's on my list of stuff to do. I suspect they did it to slow down wear on the chainring, but I'd rather just replace my chainring more often.
My opinnion is that lower pulley is becaude dyname 3.0 needed it. Engine sprocket was way more front and chain touched only 1/5 in chainring without lower pulley. Dyname 4.0 is different story. And chain goes 1/4 in chainring and it is more than enough, and chainlife will get better when that pulleys extra turn on that chain are gone

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
My opinnion is that lower pulley is becaude dyname 3.0 needed it. Engine sprocket was way more front and chain touched only 1/5 in chainring without lower pulley. Dyname 4.0 is different story. And chain goes 1/4 in chainring and it is more than enough, and chainlife will get better when that pulleys extra turn on that chain are gone
That makes a lot of sense.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles