Removed frame bump stop on '19 Levo Medium -> fork clears!

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp size Medium. I didn't like the feel of hitting the frame bump stop when making sharp turns (i.e., when track-standing or when just trying to rotate the bike to fit into the garage). Looking at the fork it seemed like it would clear the frame so I removed the bump stop and sure enough it just clears with about 1mm clearance. Put a piece of electrical tape on the holes for now (might 3d print some low-profile plugs for a cleaner look).

Best part is the 25 gram weight savings :) I've been putting my Levo on a diet lately and have it down to 44.9lbs w/o pedals.

20190314_162253.jpg

20190314_163718.jpg

20190314_163910.jpg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hmmm, hope that next crash doesn't flex the fork crown/head tube/steerer tube/headset over 1mm.

I'm fairly certain the wheel would fold in half before the head tube area flexed enough to contact the frame :). Did a quick body weight check on the wheel at a 90 deg angle and at the head tube / fork crown area it's extremely stiff (couldn't get it to contact). But I guess in some unlucky scenario anything is possible, so others may not want to do this mod. I'll be the guinea pig for now...

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
The 2019 Lyrik RC2 fork that I have on my aluminium frame medium 2019 Turbo Levo just touches if I take off the bump stop - it rotates the HSC knob a couple of clicks as it passes under the frame ! I'm going to lathe a small chamfer onto the top edge of the knob so that it clears (the knob is not structural), and may use a couple of grub screws to fill the holes in the frame which I will secure with Loctite - although black electrical tape will do just as well, and won't show up on my frame.

Apart for improving the appearance of my bike, another reason I'm going to take it off is because recently while I was riding fairly slowly (over a log), the front wheel hit a small but very tough root about a metre past the log, which twisted the front wheel quite hard - because the forks then hit the bump stop, the bike stopped dead and violently threw me over the bars. I reckon that if the the forks had carried on rotating, although I probably would have been thrown off the bike, it wouldn't have stopped quite so instantly. I know this analysis sounds a bit far fetched, but I've been MTBing for more than 10 years and been OTB enough times, but never as quickly as that.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Quite possibly. Also the triangle in the frame above the rear shock is bigger too, and so it is easier to fit on some bike racks than a medium is.

MMF27

Aug 4, 2020
Aberdeen
the new ones do not come wit the bump stop. I got a 2020 that has it, I did landed bad few weeks ago and the top suspension regulator cap was damaged by the bump stopper screw, the bump was compressed and then the fork hit the screw. the damage is such I cant lock it anymore, since the cap does not turn (it wash smashed and compressed toward the suspension)
So I guess that is one of the reason it was remove on the recent models

jetskier973

Nov 9, 2023
Gardner, KS.
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp size Medium. I didn't like the feel of hitting the frame bump stop when making sharp turns (i.e., when track-standing or when just trying to rotate the bike to fit into the garage). Looking at the fork it seemed like it would clear the frame so I removed the bump stop and sure enough it just clears with about 1mm clearance. Put a piece of electrical tape on the holes for now (might 3d print some low-profile plugs for a cleaner look).

Best part is the 25 gram weight savings :) I've been putting my Levo on a diet lately and have it down to 44.9lbs w/o pedals.

View attachment 11862

View attachment 11863

View attachment 11864
Want to sell your bumpstop?
I know, old thread. Doesn't hurt to ask.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles