Reign Yamaha motor, maintenance?

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
is any preventative maintenance required or possible with these motors? i live in a damp climate and while my Reign e1 is running fine, i sometimes wonder about longevity and i'm the type who wants to do what i can to keep things in good shape. also, i couldn't afford a new one if it were to fail and i read about all kinds of motor failures, especially with Shimano and Specialized.

i have noticed that when i coast, the chainring also spins forward to some degree. not entirely, but somewhat. is there a bearing inside that is creating friction and could need attention or regreasing?

a friend of mine burnt out a lower end syncdrive motor on a Giant commuter bike after 12,000 kms of steady use over a couple years. it would probably take me 8 years to put on as many miles on the emtb.

Base

Jul 21, 2023
Toronto
Looks like its difficult to find motor parts but should become more available as time goes by. The trouble with Syncdrive motors or at least newer ones is things like the circuit board and battery need to be from offical giant sources to work with other giant electronic parts. I see bearing kits available and tools in the UK/USA as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles