Reign e+ 2022 shock bushing play after 1st ride.

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Just got my reign e+1 and had 2 rides on it, blown away by his good it rides........but....... noticed when I got it back today it knocking as I dropped the rear wheel out the van, on closer inspection it has noticeable play on the lower shock bush/mount causing a knocking, I could hear it on the 1st ride but put it down to the motor knock I've heard about however its definately the shock bushing making the noise.
Anyone else had issues?
Bought the bike online, there is a local giant store I can go too but I think they'll charge me labour, they couldn't get me a bike for 2 months BTW otherwise I'd have used them.

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
All my suspension linkage mounting bolts needed a re torque after the first few shake down rides,
After then no problems

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
Don't think there is a bushing in the lower mount, is it not just the bolt needs tightened up?
Yep your right! It was quite loose, maybe I should of tried that before posting 🤦🏻‍♂️ I just assumed they would all have a bushing etc.
Thank God, I'm taking the bike away next week 😁
Hopefully it'll ride a bit quieter now, I was blaming it on the motor rattle or battery cover, was obviously never checked before it left the shop.
Cheers 👍

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Anyone know what the correct torque is for this interface with the shock at the lower eyelet (the one without bushings). I checked mine this morning, and it was not very tight. I torqued it up a bit to roughly what the other bolts on the rocker were, but I'm somewhat unsure if it needs to be tight or not, as the whole lack of bushing makes me think the axle (for lack of better term) may need to rotate freely.

I'll ask my local shop next week either way as I'm dropping the bike off.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I'm somewhat unsure if it needs to be tight or not, as the whole lack of bushing makes me think the axle (for lack of better term) may need to rotate freely.

It does need to rotate freely and yes you're right, some bikes are crap in this area, my Trance was the same. Although most lower mounts use a bushing and collars (the inners of which pass into the bushing), most bushings are waaay to tight on the O.D. of the collars. So when you clamp up the mounting bolt the whole thing locks solid, and if you back out the bolt just enough to allow free movement the bolt is now too loose. Even then its still a crutch because the shock should be rotating on the bushing, not the bolt.

The answer is to get the bushing sized just right for the collar. On my Haibike they were so tight I had to use a vice and a lot of swearing just to get the collars out of the bush. Madness. However, once the right bush clearance is obtained it all works fine even with the mounting bolt at the correct torque.

The simple answer to avoid the hassle and time of getting a bush to just the right clearance is to just use ballraces with collars that support and clamp onto the inner races. Oh look, trunnion top mounts...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles