Recovering from an injury

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I asked doc today about that and he said cos I’m active I wouldn’t need physio . I’ve got private med cover through the mrs so might check that out 👍
Would you have to go dressed as a woman ?

I'm not saying you couldn't pull it off, but there's a chance someone medically trained might notice ?

------------------------

You could always tag/mail @Jeff McD

Not sure if he'll respond. The least he could do is suggest the correct clothing to limit the chances of your discovery.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have got a big …… laryngeal prominence 🙄
That's a bit spooky for that to come up in two parallel conversations 5 minutes apart !

1666389904859.png

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I did a similar injury 30 years ago - avulsion of anterior tibial spine extending through the tibial plateau , but mine went through the load bearing surface of the plateau - you dodged a bullet!! . I spent 3 days fasting for an operation that never happened - change of shift, new arrogant arsehole then decides it can be managed conservatively and unfortunately nobody bothered to do a CT because there was a step on my plateau that I've lived with for 30 years.

My advice is do everything you possibly can to get as active as possible as quickly as possible - so physiotherapy , and explore options for sports that are gentle on the knee ( eg water sports) . I put on 15 kg in the 18 months after that injury, and although I was eventually able to return to most sports , I went from being an A grade squash player to C , eventually giving up the sport - mostly because of the weight. I was back dirt bike riding within 3 months but had to be cautious when bush walking for the 18 months it took to regain relative stability in my knee . The anterior cruciate remains lax but I can live with that. I'll pop an anti inflammatory before any big days of activity , eg if I'm cycling for more than 5/6 hours or bush walking for more than 2 - but to be completely honest my other injuries bother me more than the knee now.

One thing I struggled with was regaining confidence. I was nervous so stopped bush walking into remote areas because of the risk of twinging the knee and not being able to get back. If I had my time again, I'd wear a knee brace / use a trekking stick and return to overnight hiking ASAP . It took about 5 years to get confident enough to return to extreme remote motorbike riding , I'd do 1-3 day trips and let the stiffness limit my confidence. Again, a brace might have helped with that. Ironically, I didn't wear my brace last time I crossed a dessert - it didn't play well with the wide tank on my ktm.

Absolutely check it out, willing to bet you'd make a faster and better recovery with physio. Many doctors are old school ...

The trouble is, it's hard to scientifically prove physio really makes a difference to long term outcomes. You can't really do double blind trails, and there is selection bias if you compare those who invest in physio vs those who don't - so differences in motivation / socioeconomic status / expectations and pain behavior will cloud the results. Most doctors like proof that a therapy is effective before they will recommend it.

Don't forget, those same doctors spend their days seeing patients with long term musculoskeletal injuries seeking pain relief. I'm willing to bet they see far more people claiming " physio didn't work" than people not mentioning that it did. Try asking a pain psychologist about the effectiveness of physiotherapy and you are likely to get a totally different response to a sports physician!

So before calling the doctors " old school" , it might be worth considering their experience and expertise? It probably helps to choose a doctor who is older than you but still riding faster than you....I

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I did a similar injury 30 years ago - avulsion of anterior tibial spine extending through the tibial plateau , but mine went through the load bearing surface of the plateau - you dodged a bullet!! . I spent 3 days fasting for an operation that never happened - change of shift, new arrogant arsehole then decides it can be managed conservatively and unfortunately nobody bothered to do a CT because there was a step on my plateau that I've lived with for 30 years.

My advice is do everything you possibly can to get as active as possible as quickly as possible - so physiotherapy , and explore options for sports that are gentle on the knee ( eg water sports) . I put on 15 kg in the 18 months after that injury, and although I was eventually able to return to most sports , I went from being an A grade squash player to C , eventually giving up the sport - mostly because of the weight. I was back dirt bike riding within 3 months but had to be cautious when bush walking for the 18 months it took to regain relative stability in my knee . The anterior cruciate remains lax but I can live with that. I'll pop an anti inflammatory before any big days of activity , eg if I'm cycling for more than 5/6 hours or bush walking for more than 2 - but to be completely honest my other injuries bother me more than the knee now.

One thing I struggled with was regaining confidence. I was nervous so stopped bush walking into remote areas because of the risk of twinging the knee and not being able to get back. If I had my time again, I'd wear a knee brace / use a trekking stick and return to overnight hiking ASAP . It took about 5 years to get confident enough to return to extreme remote motorbike riding , I'd do 1-3 day trips and let the stiffness limit my confidence. Again, a brace might have helped with that. Ironically, I didn't wear my brace last time I crossed a dessert - it didn't play well with the wide tank on my ktm.

The trouble is, it's hard to scientifically prove physio really makes a difference to long term outcomes. You can't really do double blind trails, and there is selection bias if you compare those who invest in physio vs those who don't - so differences in motivation / socioeconomic status / expectations and pain behavior will cloud the results. Most doctors like proof that a therapy is effective before they will recommend it.

Don't forget, those same doctors spend their days seeing patients with long term musculoskeletal injuries seeking pain relief. I'm willing to bet they see far more people claiming " physio didn't work" than people not mentioning that it did. Try asking a pain psychologist about the effectiveness of physiotherapy and you are likely to get a totally different response to a sports physician!

So before calling the doctors " old school" , it might be worth considering their experience and expertise? It probably helps to choose a doctor who is older than you but still riding faster than you....I

I did not say "the doctors [are] old school", I instead said "many doctors are old school ...">. Not the same thing.

Your comments about the scientific provability of physiotherapy because of non repeatability are self-evident.

And as it happens I have a damaged left ACL for which I wear a Donjoy Armour with Fourcepoint knee brace when kitesurfing and skiing. Are these kneebraces scientifically proven to work? Using the same burden of proof you require above the answer would be "no".

Last edited:

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I for which I wear a Donjoy Armour with Fourcepoint knee brace when kitesurfing and skiing. Are these kneebraces scientifically proven to work? Using the same burden of proof you require above the answer would be "no".

That donjoy is an interesting design - coming from a motorbike background , most of my experience has been with the bulkier options like cti produce - having solid components above and below the knee. Have you got any feedback on the donjoy vs the old styles? I'm particularly wondering if there are any benefits to a less abrupt end point at full extension - eg does it encourage users to learn their own limits whilst still having an eventual bracing effect?

For what it's worth, I'm feeling really " old school" now - I just realized it was 22 years ago when a DR I knew of competed in the international six day enduro ( motorbikes) using a cti because he had just blown out his knee and was awaiting surgery ( ruptured pcl, mcl, AND lcl - ie a completely unstable knee) . I've been a fan of them since - he finished 6 days of racing !

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
That donjoy is an interesting design - coming from a motorbike background , most of my experience has been with the bulkier options like cti produce - having solid components above and below the knee. Have you got any feedback on the donjoy vs the old styles? I'm particularly wondering if there are any benefits to a less abrupt end point at full extension - eg does it encourage users to learn their own limits whilst still having an eventual bracing effect?

For what it's worth, I'm feeling really " old school" now - I just realized it was 22 years ago when a DR I knew of competed in the international six day enduro ( motorbikes) using a cti because he had just blown out his knee and was awaiting surgery ( ruptured pcl, mcl, AND lcl - ie a completely unstable knee) . I've been a fan of them since - he finished 6 days of racing !
FWIW, I raced motorcycles in Bemsee (BMCRC) for 10 years, but no, I can't help you.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Great post Pdoz , a lot in there that I can use👍
As it happens I’ve been looking at some slimline sports braces the 2022 ossur cti 3 is pos the one . I also raced mx and always wore knee braces , they a great ins policy if needed . Riding without just felt weird .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles