Recommendation for a Big Guy?

AParsh

Aug 3, 2021
San Diego
Hi Everyone!
I'd love to know your best recommendations for a bigger guy - i'm 6ft 230lbs. I've been using a peloton a lot lately and losing some weight and continuing to try to get in better shape with exercise. I've always loved bikes, was really into BMX as a kit. I have experience with ebikes, have an eMTB i bought about 4 years ago (no-name junk) that ended up being bad quality and had no power for hills.

I have some great trails right out front of my house, don't even need to drive anywhere.

So likely main usage will be just jetting out the front door and gone for only about an hour. So probably don't need huge battery life.

But the trails are very hilly and pretty steep, so i figure with my size the motor power is going to be important.

So far i've been thinking a mullet set up would be good, and i've heard the bosch cx gen4 is pretty strong for hills, but some say the bafang m620 is really powerful too.

Looking for something with good quality.

I love the idea of the ultra light bikes too like the Orbea Rise and Levo SL, but their motors are a lot weaker so figured maybe those are a bad fit for my size and the hills i'll be going after.

Love to hear your comments and recommendations.

Thank you

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Hi Everyone!
I'd love to know your best recommendations for a bigger guy - i'm 6ft 230lbs. I've been using a peloton a lot lately and losing some weight and continuing to try to get in better shape with exercise. I've always loved bikes, was really into BMX as a kit. I have experience with ebikes, have an eMTB i bought about 4 years ago (no-name junk) that ended up being bad quality and had no power for hills.

I have some great trails right out front of my house, don't even need to drive anywhere.

So likely main usage will be just jetting out the front door and gone for only about an hour. So probably don't need huge battery life.

But the trails are very hilly and pretty steep, so i figure with my size the motor power is going to be important.

So far i've been thinking a mullet set up would be good, and i've heard the bosch cx gen4 is pretty strong for hills, but some say the bafang m620 is really powerful too.

I love the idea of the ultra light bikes too like the Orbea Rise and Levo SL, but their motors are a lot weaker so figured maybe those are a bad fit for my size and the hills i'll be going after.

Thank you
I’m 6’2” and 230. I bought a Trek and Specialized and upgraded both forks to a boxxer and a Zeb. I say it’s a must for big guys. I had the Brose 1.3 motor and the Bosch CX Gen 2. I thought they were comparable in power and both had 500wh ‘ish battery and both lasted about the same… 2 + hours of heavy hill climbing in Arizona. (20-40% grade). 2-3k feet elevation change. I prefer carbon frame for the stiffness. I prefer air shocks over coil shocks for its pop. I prefer standard forks over the double clamp (Boxxer creaks like a whores mattress). Zeb over Fox 38 Due to Zeb sitting higher And way easier to dial in settings (No tokens at 79 psi with LSC and HSC wide open and rebound at 5 clicks). Zeb is fantastic. I prefer trail bikes over DH bikes for their maneuverabilty.

I also own 4 analog bikes. Ask a specific question and I’ll answer.

You can’t really go wrong.

AParsh

Aug 3, 2021
San Diego
I’m 6’2” and 230. I bought a Trek and Specialized and upgraded both forks to a boxxer and a Zeb. I say it’s a must for big guys. I had the Brose 1.3 motor and the Bosch CX Gen 2. I thought they were comparable in power and both had 500wh ‘ish battery and both lasted about the same… 2 + hours of heavy hill climbing in Arizona. (20-40% grade). 2-3k feet elevation change. I prefer carbon frame for the stiffness. I prefer air shocks over coil shocks for its pop. I prefer standard forks over the double clamp (Boxxer creaks like a whores mattress). Zeb over Fox 38 Due to Zeb sitting higher And way easier to dial in settings (No tokens at 79 psi with LSC and HSC wide open and rebound at 5 clicks). Zeb is fantastic. I prefer trail bikes over DH bikes for their maneuverabilty.

I also own 4 analog bikes. Ask a specific question and I’ll answer.

You can’t really go wrong.
Thanks for the reply Forever Wild. I had a few minutes today to head over to a local bike store that seemed on their website to have a huge selection of eMTBs. Turned out they basically only had Orbea and some brand called Niner i've never heard of. Rode the Rise XL and Wild XL and it was very clear immediately that the full motor on the wild (Bosch CX Gen4) was what felt better to me. I wanna go fast! But seriously more importantly was it just felt so much punchier, and i was only in a parking lot...im sure if i was gong through twisties in dirt maybe the weight difference and natural feel of the rise would stand out more. The sales guy seemed more bothered i was there than anything...specifically said to me "Dont ride through any dirt" ... was annoyed when he asked my budget and i said "about $5k." I'm going to try to get a few rides around town on specialized and Trek. I think at the end of the day i'm looking for something that is reliable, good warranty, bosch cx gen4, mullet set up (or 29er F/R and able to switch to mullet), and "fair" price. Good looks doesnt hurt either. Gotta say, the Orbea quality did seem nice. But i'm not going to try one bike brand and shell out $7k immediately.

Any recommendations?

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Hi Everyone!

Thank you
I’m 300lb+ and ride a Giant (Yamaha). It can haul me up pretty steep stuff on just the medium setting. I think you’ll be fine on any “full fat” motor.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Thanks for the reply Forever Wild. I had a few minutes today to head over to a local bike store that seemed on their website to have a huge selection of eMTBs. Turned out they basically only had Orbea and some brand called Niner i've never heard of. Rode the Rise XL and Wild XL and it was very clear immediately that the full motor on the wild (Bosch CX Gen4) was what felt better to me. I wanna go fast! But seriously more importantly was it just felt so much punchier, and i was only in a parking lot...im sure if i was gong through twisties in dirt maybe the weight difference and natural feel of the rise would stand out more. The sales guy seemed more bothered i was there than anything...specifically said to me "Dont ride through any dirt" ... was annoyed when he asked my budget and i said "about $5k." I'm going to try to get a few rides around town on specialized and Trek. I think at the end of the day i'm looking for something that is reliable, good warranty, bosch cx gen4, mullet set up (or 29er F/R and able to switch to mullet), and "fair" price. Good looks doesnt hurt either. Gotta say, the Orbea quality did seem nice. But i'm not going to try one bike brand and shell out $7k immediately.

Any recommendations?
Niner is a good brand. I had two custom built for my wife and myself. They’re both Niner Rip 9 RDO. They’re both analog. My wife’s was $4500 since it was built on a “new” 2017 frame. Mine is 2021 and was $10k. Yup… no motor. Because of the pandemic… I could only source top of the line parts. They’ve got all of the bells and whistles.

Get a trek rail Carbon. Upgrade the fork to a Zeb and put a MegNeg can on the RS shock. I doubt you’ll get it for $5k. Trek has a lifetime warranty on their carbon frame. Ask me how I know? Easy claims process.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
I prefer Rockshock forks over Fox forks for big guys. My Fox factory forks tend to make a loud “clack” sound during aggressive descents. My several Rockshocks do not. Zeb I believe is the best fork out there for bigger guys.

AParsh

Aug 3, 2021
San Diego
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
I ended up finding a Trek Rail 9.8 XT in my area, test drove it, and within seconds i knew that was the one i wanted. Took it out a few days ago and it was sooooo nice. been riding it every day around the block with my kids too :) Love it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles