Recalibrating between MTB and E

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Jumped back on my Slayer after a couple weeks of Pole Voima action.

Wholy farken responsive batman! It took me about 3 shuttle runs to recalibrate back into the pedal bike.
My goodness I almost, crashed multiple times yanking too hard on the bars because I was used to manhandling a 25kg monster truck around.

Now my slayer is light for an enduro bike 13.5kg and has some stiff as carbon wheels. It is really playful and really, really responsive.
After I recalibrated back into the bike I had a blast. The slayer is not being replaced by the Voima. The both will complement each other.
I'll get my playfull throw the bike around riding on the slayer and monster truck speed and chunk swallowing im the Voima.

Who else takes a while re-calibrate between E and Mtb.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Jumped back on my Slayer after a couple weeks of Pole Voima action.

Wholy farken responsive batman! It took me about 3 shuttle runs to recalibrate back into the pedal bike.
My goodness I almost, crashed multiple times yanking too hard on the bars because I was used to manhandling a 25kg monster truck around.

Now my slayer is light for an enduro bike 13.5kg and has some stiff as carbon wheels. It is really playful and really, really responsive.
After I recalibrated back into the bike I had a blast. The slayer is not being replaced by the Voima. The both will complement each other.
I'll get my playfull throw the bike around riding on the slayer and monster truck speed and chunk swallowing im the Voima.

Who else takes a while re-calibrate between E and Mtb.
Me.

Getting comfortable in the Voima took exactly 1/3 lap. Pretty much instant.

Jumping back on my Arrival was straight up dangerous - it was like the bike was trying to escape out from under me every time I left the ground. Also less traction when moving fast.

Love the responsive feel and love how drained I am after pedaling it for couple hours but I’m now nervous about sending anything on it. Couple of very close calls on my last couple outings on it. My Voima is 60lbs (coil, cushcore, big ass rotors) and the Arrival is 37lbs, so it’s a pretty big delta. Very different muscle memories.

Toying with the idea of swapping the Arrival frame out for a Vikkela to keep as much 1 to 1 as possible between the E and the Amish bike.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Me.

Getting comfortable in the Voima took exactly 1/3 lap. Pretty much instant.

Jumping back on my Arrival was straight up dangerous - it was like the bike was trying to escape out from under me every time I left the ground. Also less traction when moving fast.

Love the responsive feel and love how drained I am after pedaling it for couple hours but I’m now nervous about sending anything on it. Couple of very close calls on my last couple outings on it. My Voima is 60lbs (coil, cushcore, big ass rotors) and the Arrival is 37lbs, so it’s a pretty big delta. Very different muscle memories.

Toying with the idea of swapping the Arrival frame out for a Vikkela to keep as much 1 to 1 as possible between the E and the Amish bike.
Yeah, my delta for weight is similar is my slayer is 31 and vioma is 55lb. The delta to dh performance is closer i guess. Slayer is 165/180mm.

But I too had some close calls. Once I recalibrated it was fine. I have to do a bit of calibration going the other way too. The Voima doesn't pop well or manual. My style has a lot of manualing and popping through undulations and over stuff with little or non existent kickers. On the Voima I have to pump or send or plow rather than manual and pop.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Same for me, every time I would take out my Capra the first bunny hop would feel like a backflip attempt from pulling way too hard on the bars!

I ended up feeling like my 15.5kg enduro bike was too light, I put heavier tyres on it to make it more stable, but then it was way too hard to pedal outside of lift access bike parks. Ended up selling the non-ebike after barely using it for 2 years.

Personally way prefer how the suspension works on ebikes, and don't really mind having to put more effort into twisty trails.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Same for me, every time I would take out my Capra the first bunny hop would feel like a backflip attempt from pulling way too hard on the bars!

I ended up feeling like my 15.5kg enduro bike was too light, I put heavier tyres on it to make it more stable, but then it was way too hard to pedal outside of lift access bike parks. Ended up selling the non-ebike after barely using it for 2 years.

Personally way prefer how the suspension works on ebikes, and don't really mind having to put more effort into twisty trails.
Sadly I feel like I’m headed down the path of selling the normal bike too. Don’t mind the pedaling, just not into the sketchiness of switching back and forth.

Coming from surfing I’m a bit of a one board guy too. Switching to big boards on big days is a major adjustment, and switching back is even worse when spring rolls around.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Same here, I just couldn't deal with the adjustment going between the eeb and my normal (Canyon strive).
The Strive which once felt like a stable monster bike, became a twitchy, flighty nightmare after the eeb.
I was dead sailoring on jumps, flipping it on wheelies and the real decider was going OTB bunny hopping a log and damaging myself.
Sold it shortly after and have never looked back.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I like my pedal bikes. They are fun. I'm not giving them up. I can manual, pop and ride way more playfully.
Plus I am one of the fittest in my group of riding buddies. Only about 1/3 of them are e biked up.
I went for a ride tonight with the crew. Rode to the top of a hill, waited, waited, rode to the bottom, waited, waited waited. I was on my pedal bike! imagine how little exersize id get if i took an e on that group ride. It would be pointless.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Wish I was a poppy rider like you but at 110kg / 193cm I’m built like a defensive end (think All Blacks Dalton Papali’i), so solidly in plow territory. Jibs and climbing aren’t exactly a strong suit, so unfortunately not giving up much with the lighter bike.

Weirdly wheelies are way easier on the eeb, for some reason. go figure.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Wish I was a poppy rider like you but at 110kg / 193cm I’m built like a defensive end (think All Blacks Dalton Papali’i), so solidly in plow territory. Jibs and climbing aren’t exactly a strong suit, so unfortunately not giving up much with the lighter bike.

Weirdly wheelies are way easier on the eeb, for some reason. go figure.
I have a mate who we call the gazelle. He pops and flows all over the place. A real smooth steezy rider.
He weights between 95 and 105kg.... so it is possible!

Wheelies when you pedal into them are easy. Manualing without pedaling. Fark. I can't keep the front end up for extented periods. I'm still trying to find the technique. I really want to be able manual the Voima better. I using manualling a lot in my style. Over rough sections, through rollers, some jumps I manual.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
My Levo SL weight around 41 lbs so it is relatively light. It does not take any adjustment since the front is pretty light. I can see the full power ebikes taking some adjustment for sure. I no longer do any real DH runs at resorts but our trails are steep so the handling advantage goes to the regular MTBs.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I've had emtb's for 3 years now - started with a hardtail, now a full sus
A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to an orbea laufey h10 - hardtail none e bike

I had 3 rides on it, the first I massively under-estimated a climb that I do easily 3 times a week, nearly killed me, stopped 3 times lol

The first thing that hit me is it's super responsive to turning, you can feel how light it is. Piece of piss to chuck on your shoulder over a fence or on a bit of hiking.

Then I went back onto my emtb and holy mother of god it felt fast, like REALLY fast, was hammering around my local trail and set a bunch of PR's on strava :D

I actually really like having both, sometimes I'm just in the mood for a casual pedal out, bit of road and gravel so I take the hardtail.
Sometimes I'm in the mood for 4 hours of intense cardio and the emtb is perfect for that

I prefer the non e-bike for downhill stuff, but I can't actually make it to the top of the climbs to enjoy them lol. I love dalby but I'm never doing that on the none e-bike

I have noticed the emtb is much better for cardio, I can stay out longer, I'm usually spinning faster. But the hardtail is a lot better for building leg strength. Only been 2 weeks and climbs are feeling easier on both bikes already

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My Levo SL weight around 41 lbs so it is relatively light. It does not take any adjustment since the front is pretty light. I can see the full power ebikes taking some adjustment for sure. I no longer do any real DH runs at resorts but our trails are steep so the handling advantage goes to the regular MTBs.

I’ve been on a Levo SL for over 3 years now… and occasionally flit back to my old Stumpy 6-Fattie. It’s carbon, and is under 13kgs.
My SL (1.2 now) is about 17.2kgs… yet when I ride my Stumpy I feel like the smallest pull on the bars has me hopping much higher than the SL.
Maybe 4.5kgs difference.

My SL is light compared to a FF 25kg bike… but it’s still heavy next to my Stumpy!

Sparkydave

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
I find having a completely different type of bike helps.

My ebike is a Gen 1 Kenevo, my normal bike is a Production Privee Shan hardtail. You're already expecting something completely different when you get on it.

I sold my Capra as it was too much longer a lighter version of the Kenevo

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles