Rear Wheel wobble? normal?

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Have just taken delivery of a Cube Stereo 160 SL 750, and am putting it together.

I notice when i spin the rear wheel there is a significant amount of wobble? the front spins dead straight.

Is this normal?, or is my rear wheel bent?

I have not got as far as taking it for a spin yet so don't know if its noticeable in use yet.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That wobble is disconcerting and I believe that you would feel it when going fast on a smooth road. You are right to want to get it sorted.

But I can't tell from that video whether it is the wheel that is wobbling or it's the tyre that is the problem. I have had tyres that did that until they were deflated and mounted properly.
I can think of two quick things to do to check. Look at the tyre where it is close to the rim. There will be a line moulded into the tyre that should run parallel to the rim. If it doesn't you need to make sure it does.
The second thing would be to turn the wheel slowly and hold a marker close to the rim (rest your arm on one of the stays) and see if the distance varies as the rim turns through a full rotation. If it's the rim that is at fault, then you need to get that sorted too.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Thanks, i will have a look at those things.

I had the dealer convert the tyres to tubeless, so i guess its possible for the tyre to not be seater properly?

Also i just got my Cube Reaction out and tried the same, and the rear wheel rotates pretty straight, so there seems to be definatly something wrong....

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
As said above, first need to find out if it's the rim or the tyre. One way is to tie a cable tie round a bit of the frame and cut the tail so it just touches the rim. Slowly turn the wheel and see if the rim moves away or towards the cable tie, or is relatively straight.
New bike though you definitely want the wheels to be true.
If it's the tyre a good ride might seat the bead properly.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So ive removed the rear wheel, deflated it and broke the bead. I then re-inflated it to 40PSI (it made some pops as the bead sealed). Re-fitted the wheel and its still the same :(

The hub bolt is nice and tight, and there is no play in the hub.

Ive tried a cable tie up against the rim, and its pretty straight (maybe a mm of wobble). However the same against the tyre and its significant.

So looks like its the tyre!

Its a bit dark now to try and see if its noticeable on the road, and maybe its best its not used until ive spoken to the retailer.

Its an online retailer (MTB Monster), so not sure how they will deal with this?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I didn't spot the first vid 🙈 well least you know the rim is true 😁

I don't know if that kink in the tyre would sort itself out as you ride it or not, have to see what others experience of it is.
Monster are decent, if you send them that vid they'll be able to advise what to do next.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Is it a Maxxis? My front Maxxis has similar but the 6 Nobby Nic's I put on my previous bike were fine. Not something I am worried about even though it is right in front of me but I think I'll fit Scwalbe in future. Someone commented recently it is a common Maxxis issue.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Is it a Maxxis? My front Maxxis has similar but the 6 Nobby Nic's I put on my previous bike were fine. Not something I am worried about even though it is right in front of me but I think I'll fit Scwalbe in future. Someone commented recently it is a common Maxxis issue.

Yes its a Maxxis Minion DHR II, MaxxGrip/DoubleDown, Tubeless Ready, 2.4 WT

Will give it a run in the morning and see if any vibrations.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Yeah... tires can come like that from the factory. Tell 'em you want a new one.

Tires can also look like that if they're not seated properly. If you spray soap on the tire and rim before assembly, it helps the bead seat.

Lastly, tires can develop that symptom if you blow 'em off the rim by running low pressure and casing a jump. Try not to do that.

You CAN run the tire with a wowie, but why? Get it replaced and never worry about it again.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Yeah... tires can come like that from the factory. Tell 'em you want a new one.

Tires can also look like that if they're not seated properly. If you spray soap on the tire and rim before assembly, it helps the bead seat.

Lastly, tires can develop that symptom if you blow 'em off the rim by running low pressure and casing a jump. Try not to do that.

You CAN run the tire with a wowie, but why? Get it replaced and never worry about it again.
When that tyre got vulcanized it was not put in the machine correctly
It happens alot,same with car tyres tearing my hair out thinking the bloody things not balanced properly

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles