Rattling in my battery mount

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Took my Fathom E+ 3 for its inaugural mountain bike ride and while it’s awesome, it has developed a rattle. I’ve located it to within the battery locking mechanism by the head tube.

I’ve found if I can hold the key barrel still while bouncing the bike, the rattle doesn’t happen so I’m assuming it’s that. The barrel feels fairly loose so is it possible to tighten it or stop it moving?

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Looks like I'm booking the bike into the shop to get them to look at it. I've only had the bike for a few weeks.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
@04fuxake

Did you get that issue corrected?

I ask because i accidentally dropped a hex bit down the main tube & had to dis-assemble the locking mech to get that tool out. That lock is adjustable & had to tune the lock to get the battery plate gap just right in relation to the down tube

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
@04fuxake

Did you get that issue corrected?

I ask because i accidentally dropped a hex bit down the main tube & had to dis-assemble the locking mech to get that tool out. That lock is adjustable & had to tune the lock to get the battery plate gap just right in relation to the down tube

Yeah the bike shop said the screws holding the lock in place were just loose so they tightened them up.

SamH

Oct 13, 2019
Canberra
This is a well known issue on the Giants - the battery lock can come loose meaning it rattles and (in some instance) power can be lost...

Its died !! - EMTB Forums
Giant Trance E+ Sudden Off!! - EMTB Forums

I kind of wish I'd heard of this well known issue a couple of months ago as losing power isn't the only thing they do. For me the battery dropped out of the bike while riding (Fathom E+ pro 2019). I suspect the lock was not properly locking despite the various clicks that occur in both the battery plate and key mechanisms. The bike shop has adjusted the screws and said it's now aligned properly but it isn't the greatest comfort that either the screws move easily or you can't easily tell it's not properly setup.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Yeah, ive adjusted the locking mounts as well. But, after doing a battery install, i bounce the front end down & sometimes can get the battery to drop to out of the lock to the first click (not completely out)

That Giant battery mount is certainly finicky. Not a fan of the key lock either. Would have preferred a non keyed locking mechanism

enumclawbmx

Nov 25, 2022
Washington
My name's jack I'm a bike mechanic from wa state and I Just recently got a 21 reign e+ and the battery rattles profusely (I have not adjusted the release lever yet only 1 ride in) my lock was replaced with a torx bolt somehow?? will include pics soon, but to aid the rattle the first ride we used a giant Velcro strap which I've now graduated to voile style ski strap at the top of battery
20221125_175019.jpg
which eliminated the noise completely and I jump pretty hard on it, all good for a temp fix!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles