Levo Gen 2 Rattle-can satin black for rear triangle?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I just removed my fenders and heli-tape for the summer. My alloy rear triangle could use a touch up, but I don't what can of spray paint to buy. Have any of you found an off-the-shelf product that is a reasonable match for the factory black?

I've read here in the past that Spesh guards their factory paints, so I'm not asking about that. I'm thinking Rust-olium, Krylon, or other products readily available in the US.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Try a motor factor's standard satin black.
in the UK, I go to Halfords for theirs and it is an extremely good match for the black on my Merida.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
How about a black vinyl wrap? seems like rattle can will rattle off and look worse...
I'm not trying to pick a fight, honest! 20 years ago, I used rattle can paint on my roll cage, including the door bars. Every time I got into and out of the car, my butt slid across the bar. The paint held up amazingly well, because I carefully prepped the tubes and used many light coats. It got a bit scuffed over the years, but never chipped or wore through.

The rear triangle work will be DIY, and I don't think I want to tackle a wrap on a shape like that!

Some of you may spot that the door bar could swing out. After a few drives, I decided it was much easier to just sit on the bar and then slide down into the seat.

Steve S, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't look like I can get that brand in the US.

CageDriverSide.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Steve S, thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't look like I can get that brand in the US.
It doesn't have to be Halford's, which is a I believe a UK company. I would have thought that any motor spares / motor goods company would sell car paint. I have found EXACT matches for my various bikes in the past. The most recent was an own brand (ie Halford's) satin black. It won't be their formulation; it will be something they have bought from somewhere else and sold under their name. Go to any place that sells car paint and you should find what you are looking for.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Black is black unless its some flash metallic. You do need to decide if its matt, satin or gloss sheen. Its likely satin or glass black.

You won't get the perfect finish of a spray gun out of a can and will be softer and scratch easier. But it will look better than the worn out paint that's there now.

TraxFactory

Mar 15, 2019
Northern California
I'm not trying to pick a fight, honest! 20 years ago, I used rattle can paint on my roll cage, including the door bars. Every time I got into and out of the car, my butt slid across the bar. The paint held up amazingly well, because I carefully prepped the tubes and used many light coats. It got a bit scuffed over the years, but never chipped or wore through.

The rear triangle work will be DIY, and I don't think I want to tackle a wrap on a shape like that!

Some of you may spot that the door bar could swing out. After a few drives, I decided it was much easier to just sit on the bar and then slide down into the seat.

View attachment 116707
Makes sense...good prep is everything.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles